Darling vs WINE

How come so much more time and effort is put towards running Windows Applications on Linux instead of Mac OSX?
Mac OSX has plenty of commercial applications that aren't on GNU/Linux natively and its also *nix so it's closer to GNU/Linux than Windows is, so how come shit like WINE is so much farthet along in terms of compatibility than Darling, OSXs equivalent?
In fact, it looks like Darling is in development limbo at the moment

Attached: darling250.png (250x266, 25.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/
gnustep.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because it's generally Windows -> Linux; Macfags stay in their own ecosystem.

Everyone largely stays in their own ecosystem. Most Linux elitists are either former UNIX guys or kids whose parents were former UNIX guys. There is no significant exodus from Windows to Linux. Most Windows users who go on to main Linux still tend to keep Windows around as a secondary OS.

Because Windows gets more software, particularly gaymes, than MacOS.

That's an interesting theory. I grew up around mostly Windows users, myself included. I use GNU/Linux exclusively now, but I think you're mostly right. Friends I've gotten to use GNU/Linux do tend to still use Windows somewhat.

True, but a lot of commercial Windows Software like Adobe's Creative Cloud are generally also on Mac OSX, so if you had to chose between running a Windows version or a Mac version on GNU/Linux, wouldn't it make more sense on paper to run the OSX version since OSX is actually *nix like?

Its not a theory, market share speaks for itself, most people like sticking to what they're comfortable with

Ever since Apple switched to x86 running Mac OSX in a VM is the way to go. It's against their EULA, you're not allowed to run it on any non Apple hardware and they take steps to prevent it so it's not as simple as most OSes on VMs.
contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/

Is this application-level though? Its kind if a given that Apple doesn't want you to just plop OSX on standard off-the-shelf PC hardware, otherwise Hackintosh wouldn't be a thing. But certainly for applications it's less of a problem of Apple deliberately sabatoging it and more like people just haven't gotten around to re-implementing Apple's native libs

People do not believe in taking control of their own computing. People are very happy to let other people do the work while they themselves spend their time bikeshedding.

My guess: less interest. There is software people rely on for work and there is games. macOS has fewer of both, so there is not much incentive for running Mac software on GNU/Linux.

Right, people just stick to whatever comes with the PC they buy and don't question it. I switched to GNU/Linux from Mac, to which I switched from Linux, but I am far away from the average user.

To the end user it doesn't really matter when neither is native. Adobe software sticks out like a sort thumb on macOS. Pixelmator is much more "Mac-like" than Photoshop. (at least it used to be, I just looked up their site and they have adopted the new faggy design of only one window with baked-in panels).

Well, there is GNUStep, which is exactly that: a re-implementation of the Cocoa API. I have no idea how complete it is, but it's certainly old.
gnustep.org/

Apple's current system libraries are taken from the Nextstep OS. GNUstep is an implementation of the Nextstep libraries and even some of Apple's new libraries. It is possible to run some Apple software with the help of GNUstep.

Apple added a lot of shit since NextStep like Cocoa

GNUstep intends to implement the Cocoa API in addition to Nextstep. It's not yet complete but it's on its way to being completed.

Why has development been so slow compared to WINE?

More people are willing to invest more development time into Wine. The reason for this is because there are many more people with an interest in seeing their Windows software. In comparison, GNUstep is worth less because it is targeting the lesser used OS X system.

Because no one gives a shit about Apple nowadays except people that are already macfags to begin with for one reason or another (generally retardation). On the other hand, there are a shitload of people that are stuck with Windows XP or Windows 7 and want to move on and still think that an outdated piece of shit from the 70s will be better than their not quite as outdated piece of shit that at least just works for the most part. Personally, I just stopped giving a shit so I have a computer with Windows 7 and another one with Windows XP and FreeDOS, because Unix is pretty fucking garbage for anything other than editing text. For online stuff, I may end up using other alternatives but for now I'm just experimenting. Linux and BSD are shit, and I'm sick of wasting my time, so that's what I'm doing from now on. Alternative OSs, but also keeping Windows for things that Windows can do well, as offline as possible and pirating absolutely everything. Basically, I don't have much use for Wine. It's definitely a good thing, though.

Why re-write something that would better if people ran it in its native OS, via virtual machines? 20 years ago, that was unheard of. Now, I can spin up VMware on linux, load Windows or Mac, same thing on a Mac, or on a Windows PC. So, with no real profit in making something more on more than one platform, why even fuck with it, if there's no money in it. Just spin up a Virtual Machine, and run the program you need.

VMs are generally bloat, I don't need another OS on y machine just to run a handful of programs when my main OS is bloated as it is

->

This. And there's no seamless integration with the host OS, unlike Wine; no GPU acceleration too. And you're still running proprietary software if you have a Windows VM (it just has to use an exploit to get out of your proprietary VMware).

I've never heard of linux fags going back to windows. I've heard of them going to macos, as it's basically a pre-built 'premium' unix system, but never back to windows. That said, most users who come from windows either run vms or dual boot so they can use their old applications and gayms.
windows is constantly hemorrhaging users to both macos and linux due to microshit's antics, and once steam/proton starts running almost as responsively as native, windows will start to lose its(highly profitable) gaymer userbase to the faster running and free linux distros.

Nobody cares about MacOS. Wait I’m posting from an iPhone.

You live in a hugbox, please go back down to the real world

iOS is ARM OSX, we're talking about real x86 OSX

Isnt it a price thing?

With apple everything is five times more expensive and slightly substandard compared to windows.

Holy shit user, stop browsing loonix echo chambers for a day.

Because Mac software is unusable trash. I've owned several Macs and even ran a hackintosh about a year ago to see if I could use it day to day. Turns out that macOS sucks big donkey dicks and I was better off on Linux all along. Even the Mac ports of GIMP and Libre Office barely work. The desktop environment is also an inane piece of shit and the file manager hides everything away with no option to show it.

If you try using macOS for anything other than fapping and facebook it'll be an absolute nightmare. It's like using a half baked Unix or Linux distro with inferior productivity tools. I've found that WINE is mostly useless as well. I've used it in the past for some CAD programs but other than that there's no Windows software I care about. Linux does everything I need.

I grew up in a household of Windows normies and used Windows in school. The only part of Windows I still use is the general look and feel. I run Q4OS on my laptop and workstation, which is Debian with TDE as the default desktop. TDE is a KDE 3.5 fork that looks like Windows XP and is the absolute pinnacle of desktop computing in terms of functionality and ease of use.

He's right. Windows is a malware riddled piece of shit that comes packed with bloatware and telemetry, it eats hard disks, and it's just generally awful to use. Some of the guys I work with were telling me about PowerShell, so I tried it out. I think it's garbage. An object oriented shell is stupid and what's even dumber is WSL. Bash on Windows is slow and useless and is something that a schizo high on paint fumes would come up with.

Attached: snapshot1.png (1366x768, 670.58K)

From my experience, I would say macOS is dying a slow death. I was never a Mac user personally, but it's hard to deny being in the music business that Apple has dominated for quite some time. Now, with every point release I see more and more artists threatening or straight up jumping ship (usually to Windows). Some poor bastards are locked in due to their poor hardware decisions and they're miserable as fuck because they're stuck with a company that is clearly neglecting what used to be the flagship OS in the music business. I guess it's just one perspective from a subset of Mac users, but studios are a non-trivial driver in Mac and macOS sales.

Apple is no longer following the Openstep API and has added tons of cruft. GNUstep was trying to track OS X for a long time but they gave up. The problem now is Apple is moving away from Objective C completely and the toolchain isn't there for Free Software to support running OS X applications even if they played nice and only used the same API pieces that are present in GNUstep.

tl;dr

OSX still has a great advantage in movie production because Final Cut Pro doesn't rely on intermediate formats for timeline scrubbing so its a lot more responsive and workflow is supposedly always better vs Adobe Premiere Pro on any OS. But I haven't actually used it myself as I don't even own a Mac, to me Adobe Premiere is fantastic video editing software but I can see where in a big movie production setting where workflow is paramount that people might just want to go with Final Cut Pro

1. Windows has over 10x more market share than MacOS.
2. MacOS users are either tech illiterate or iCultists. Those who aren't are insignificant minority and most of them don't contribute to anything outside the Apple ecosystem.
3. MacOS is more locked down than windows and is actually behind Linux in many ways. It's less convenient to port it's shit.
4. A lot of MacOS software is just wine-ported. As in, programs are ported via MacOS version of WINE from windows to MacOS. So taking that software from Mac instead of directly from windows doesn't make sense and would just add complexity and lost performance.
5. MacOS is expensive to own and develop for, has limited hardware support and thus limited potential users. Anyone buying into that ecosystem will not leave it, or at least won't develop anything that won't benefit their iStuff.
6. MacOS has less software people need than Windows and even Linux.

That's like, your opinion, faggot.

Agreed on the general direction of OSuXmacOS, but some old-fashioned Mac software is still legit great. I'd kill for Loonix ports of PathFinder, DragThing, Interarchy, etc.

Video games. In fact, video games is 90% of the reason Wine exists as you know it.

I'm pretty sure the world has moved to GNU/Linux with software like Nuke.

There's so much misinformation in this post that it really feels I'm back in 2002 reading Wangblows-vs-Crapple drivel.

Facts*

Almost every single entity keeping track of the market shares shows no decline for windows, and that's excluding netmarketshare since they are paid to underestimate linux apparently.
Get out of your hugbox.

So much you couldn't even try and point some out?

untrue, i used windows.
but to be fair my parents did use unix and just gave me windows cause they "wanted me to grow up with a normal operating system"