phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Proc-Pid-Kill-RFC

Thoughts?

Attached: kill.gif (300x300, 2.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

oocities.org/southbeach/lights/5427/virgin1.html
losernet.tripod.com/virgin5.html
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-June/038446.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's a marginal improvement like extending your lifespan by 1 usec.

At first I thought this was going to be a SJW thing.

holiday yourself

Amusingly enough, the most famous newsgroup about suicide back in the day was alt.suicide.holiday.

it's some stupid UNIX shit. everything is an X was never a good idea. everything is an ioctl is fucking AIDS. "everything is a file" is just retarded and not even worth talking about any more than "everything is an HTTP request/response"

The worst thing about the proponents of the 'everything is a file' arrangement is that they tell you about it as though it is some revelatory news.

The everything is a file design philosophy works pretty well, look at plan 9.

Pretty sure that's where the 41-year old virgin posted his stuff originally[1], starting in 1995. I would read it and become filled with a sense of dread, when it dawned on me that I would one day become the 41-year old virgin. You can't escape your fate, that's just the way it is. Now I better go make myself a fresh pot of coffee and log onto my AIX account. It's going to be another long night and my nerves are shot again.
[1] Web archive sites, in case you never had the privilege of following this epic saga:
oocities.org/southbeach/lights/5427/virgin1.html
losernet.tripod.com/virgin5.html

Attached: Colossal_Cave_Adventure_on_VT100_terminal.jpg (3264x2448, 1.88M)

Plan 9 is 'everything is a socket', not 'everything is a file'

The point is it's seen as a file. /sys and /proc aren't actual files on disk but follow the same idea.

This is a perfectly good addition and probably the most innocuous thing Google's done in years.

If you read it when he posted it back in the mid-90s, even if you were a teenager at the time, you'd be middle-aged now. So, was your premonition right?

I can only see this happening as some PID implementing their own kill command which just phones shit on shutdown.
Fucking botnet trash

Except when everything is an S-expression amirite

What's to stop that from happening right now?
Init already kills every process on shutdown.

Who's "they"?
Do you mean" Someone is adding a killkill procfs"

Then you know fuck-all about a Linux system or software development

That would make matters worse in my eyes

This could be useful when a system is so fucked that there's not enough memory to fork new processes.

Linux is going to be unrecognizable in 5 years. The kernel will be entirely System D under a dual license, system administration will drift over time with the whims of the Pajeets at Red Hat, Intel, IBM, Microsoft, and other board members of the Linux Foundation, DRM and anti-circumvention methods working with deeply embedded sneaky technologies will prevent wrongcompute, and of course Linux will continue to become more and more unsuitable for embedded applications.

Soon it will be like Windows, and thus they will have achieved their goal.

don't care; doesn't affect me

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP
These cretins will finally get their with. They just started adding DRM to Wayland.
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-June/038446.html

Ankit K Nautiyal, Intel Pajeet at large. Bless those H1B hires.

if jewgle came up with it there must be something wrong with it

Seems pretty much interesting. Though it should be namespaced somehow. That's all. If you make it secure, it's okay. Otherwise, GTFO.

That freedesktop shit is an unending source of poz. They even managed to affect software that has jack all to do with "desktop" crap. For example, the mc (Midnight Commander) package on OpenBSD uses their fucked-up default ~/.local ~/.cache ~/.conf bullshit hierachy, instead of the simpler traditional single dotfile or dotdir. Hell I'm pretty sure even vifm went that route too. It's all pozzed, gonna have to just write my own software from now on.

so you want all your dotfiles for all your various programs to be thrown together into your home directory ~?

Yes, that's exactly how it was before all this dekstop environment nonsense, and it worked great. You could type 'ls -a' and see all your stuff at once, or just 'ls' if you didn't want all that clutter. Same thing in file managers, where a key toggles the view. You could also type 'ls -alt' and see immediately which things have been modified recently and what's very old and might as well be deleted (if you no longer use the program that dotfile or dotdir goes with). And you didn't have to traverse a bunch of directories to configure a program. Now mc puts stuff in .local/share/mc/ and also in .local/share/mc/skins/ and before it was just all in one place ~/.mc, nice and simple and easy, and immediately visible.
This freedesktop hierarchy stinks of GUI management tools, that dump shit everywhere and just don't care because they'll present the user a lame ass graphical interface to configure shit with. But I don't want that junk. I'd have installed Win95 instead of Slackware if that was the case. The additional layers of abstraction don't help me. I don't want them, just like I don't want systemd. Things need to be a lot simpler and clear and direct.

Attached: ctwm-gfive.jpg (1151x899, 295.81K)

I mean ~/.config/mc and ~/.local/share/mc/skins

double trips checked

Nah, I'll take .conf/ over littering ~/ with an endless stream of dots any day. That .local/ bullshit is retarded though.

correct

moth ?

HAIL SATAN
HAIL DRM

I don't have any issues with .local personally. I find it satisfactory when I'm compiling software that I only want installed to my homedir (perhaps a locally compiled copy of a system program) or when I'm on a shared box without root privs. Just swap out /usr/local for $HOME/.local when doing a ./configure, throw ~/.local/bin into my path and I'm done.

putting all your stuff in a single directory was laughably bad, still is laughably bad, and will forever be laughably bad.
it's the equivalent of computer illiterate grandmas storing everything on their desktop, and it's stupid for the same reasons.

It's not "all your stuff", it's just config files. And having them all in the same place is more convenient. Also see: /etc
What's laughably bad is spreading shit all over the place, like in that George Carlin skit about "stuff". But I'm nor surprised at all. Modern Linux/desktop shit is designed for GUI and not anymore simple text config file editing. Hell even the logfiles now are binary. Hell I even got pissed off when Firefox changed to use binary files for config stuff. Just give me the plain text nigga!

thought it was about direct rendering management and not this shit - they should be working on HDCP stripping instead

Attached: nohdcp.JPG (1066x800, 272.89K)

Blaming the XDG Base Directory for that is plain retarded because it's the thing it tired to solve: put all configs in one place. But yeah, try venturing outside your home directory and you'll realize that the rest of the system is like that. Some shit is in /usr/lib, some in /opt, some shit is in /usr/share, the executable is in /usr/bin, the configuration is in /etc, the manual is in /usr/share/man but the documentation is in /usr/share/doc and it goes on and on. And every time someone tries to fix it, it only gets worse because the support for the new standard takes ages.

Here's how retarded QuakeSpasm's installation looks when you try to follow the UNIX® hierarchy (w/o symbolic links):
~/.local/ bin/ quakespasm.sh lib/quakespasm/ quakespasm-sdl1 quakesmasm-sdl2 share/quake/ id1/ maps/ custom.bps custom.lit music/ track02.wav ... track11.wav pak0.pak pak1.pak rogue/ ... hipnotic/ ...~/.config/ quake/ id1/ autoexec.cfg config.cfg quick.sav s0.sav s1.sav ... s18.sav s19.sav rogue/ ... hipnotic/ ...
Where quakespasm.sh changes the current directory to ../share/quake and executes ../lib/quakespasm/quakespasm-sdl[1|2]. And even then the placement of the ~/.local/share/quake/MOD/maps/ directory is quite questionable because /usr/share/ that $XDG_DATA_HOME mimics is supposedly for read-only files.

Nigga this is all retarded. The id1, rogue, and other subdirectories are from id software themselves. You even get those in DOS or Windows. Why would you want to force yourself to follow some FHS and mirror all paths in $HOME? That's stupid! You just create a dotfile for quake, or a dotdir with a couple config files in it and you're done! Only retarded autists want to do exactly things by some made up rules. That's what these freedesktop fucks are. They only know how to make things more complicated.

The crickets say 'yes'.

This is what happens when you LARP on Zig Forums for too long.

Programs can already choose how to terminate on a kill signal

It's creepypasta, user. I don't believe virgin boomers exist.
*sips*

Attached: Osborne 1 with Gotek flop.jpg (641x474, 142.16K)

"First they came for the Communists . . . "

having some standards is a good thing for servers that might be used/managed by more than one person. you can do what you want on your neet gaming machine.

Kek. Go make things more complicated for yourself then. I bet you run systemd too.