Microsoft Announces First Paid-For $20 Linux Distro for Windows 10 October 2018 Update

wccftech.com/microsoft-20-linux-based-distrowindows-10-1809/

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/U7DSp
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

noice

Can they do that?

Yes, but they must provide all changes they made to software covered by GPL.

Completely pointless. Why would anyone that uses Windows want to use Linux software in Windows? Why would you pay for something you can get for free? Why not just use a VM? Hell, I have never even paid for Windows and I will keep stealing their old OSs forever, so as far as I'm concerned it's all free anyway. Microsoft is fucking stupid.

archive.is/U7DSp
Keep in mind that WLinux is made by a literally who startup, pajeets.

Virtual machines are 0% normalfag friendly

You have to be a complete brainlet not to be able to use VirtualBox.

Yes and no it depends how they Implement it.
You see anyone can sell a gnu/linux distribution as long as they share the source code. Or as long they don't distribute it with non-free software.
Yes Microsoft isn't free software but the way they do it goes around the GPL. You see, windows has a WINE like software, when you use the "linux shell" in windows it actually download a "cloud" iso stocked on ubuntu/canonicals server and then executes the "WINE" like MS software for the linux software to work.
Some companies are lead by people who only think that a good product as a price on it.

I don't even get it, what the fuck are they selling exactly? Why would I buy that instead of installing Linux alongside Windows?

That's not the use case for WSL.

But I've been using Ubuntu 18.04 on WSL for months.

Based Microsoft showing us the way again.

Keep in mind that whoever is running Microsoft is trying to destroy Microsoft from within so that Apple and Google can form a cartel and split the market between them. You don't want that kind of a tech future. There is no reason for Microsoft to be selling any version of Linux.

Reminder that WLinux does not even have the Linux kernel in it.

Guaranteed support and ability to sue for damages: those are things you don't get from free programs, and any business needs those two things.

Literally never in my life have I needed support or took any damages from software, the only thing businesses need is to not get sued for piracy.

When you're a business, you ask support how to do shit instead of looking it up yourself on stack overflow so if something breaks, you know who to sue.

You generally have an IT for that. Or you hire an independent/freelance IT when you are a small business.

You aren't a business, and a bug with in the software yuou use is not going to destroy your income.
For any business, spending thousands of dollars each year is cheap insurance to avoid losing several millions out of the blue.
And not getting sued for failure to deliver, which can happen if the software needed for the job stops working or malfunctions in another way.
Also not wasting materials, time, and customers' trust.
So you get insurance, and business-grade licenses are some of that insurance.

You can't find any IT willing to be sued if your business software stops working.
You can find a few desperate pajeets that will lie about being IT, and they are too poor to be worth suing of course.

WLinux as in Windows Linux? I've lived to see the day...