Super Tux Kart Multiplayer

THE MOST ANTICIPATED GAME FINALLY HAS WORKING NETWORK MULTIPLAYER!
blog.supertuxkart.net/2018/11/supertuxkart-networking-looking-for.html
you have to compile the game in order to test it

Attached: olivermath-2018.11.10_01.18.14.png (800x600, 418.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shouldn't this go to >>>/v/ ?

And they said linux has no games, this is likely the biggest happening in gaming history right here!

The shittest mario kart rip got shitter?
wow

Shut your foul mouth, heathen!

I have been waiting for this a very long time. I am pleased.

year of the linux desktop

i would wait until they start distributing binaries with networking and until an odd weekend to start up an unofficial gamenight.

Finally...

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

More like >>>/lv/

I don't know if v would play
Zig Forums gamenight when

You can't really do that since the max amount of players you can have in a game is 8.

Zig Forums STK server when?

and it only took them several hundred years to make it, just like any major open source project

open sores btfo kek

libregamewiki.org/Main_Page

you can edit the server's xml files to go past 8 players, there's something about a performance degradation but it probably doesn't matter, as long as you can 24 - 32 players playing it should work

It needs botnet OpenGL though. Play MUDs instead.

I love MUDs! :D

How is Super Tux Kart superior to, for example, Mario Kart 64?

I can see these benefits:
but what about the actual game content itself? For a game being developed in 2018, it's fair to expect it to far exceed games from over 20 years ago yes, even if FOSS.

Attached: I am the road warrior.jpg (830x604, 107.45K)

If it's a matter of the game content, you can easily watch Youtube videos about Tuxkart. Even better, download it yourself and play around.

It's got Kiki in it now.

but does it have AROS Kitty?

it has add-ons, so you could add her if you wanted

I can't play now, but from the trailers it looks as if it lacks smoothness. Otherwise, seems great. I'd play.

>no Libbie
6/10 needs critical fix

Why hasn't Libby been modded into it yet?

It beats Gamecube MKs visuals-wise and has a more interesting (imho) powerup selection. The physics and speed-feeling are much superior to MK64 and more in line with Gamecube and Wii MKs. I'd say fun-wise it's not far behind MK Wii, even if visuals lag behind it.

Thanks to emulation Mario Kart 64 is probably more portable than Super Tux Kart. It also has had online multiplayer available for years already and tools for rom hacking makes modding easy.

Mario Kart for the Wii still has a huge online player base and new maps are being made all the time.
wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Main_Page

That's the main problem these FLOSS clones of popular franchises have when it comes to gaining a following, people will expand the functionality into existing products rather than build something new that is owned entirely by the community. The same thing happened with Neverball which was a clone of Super Monkey Ball, people made their own levels for the original games and play on emulators rather than support a FLOSS project.

Attached: cVS6OCB.gif (300x222, 648.09K)

CPU emulation is pure bloat. You emulate an ISA because you're working with non-free software that cannot be ported with source code.

Only a tiny minority of truly dedicated autists care that they're wasting CPU cycles reproducing 20 year old hardware or that the 10-16mb game they can download in seconds is proprietary. Hell most people nowadays probably play these games in their browser using a javascript based emulator, Nintendo recently made headlines by shutting down a site that was providing this service and getting a 12 million dollar settlement.

As the gaming industry becomes more locked down it'll give a chance for the FLOSS scene to flourish but until then we're in an odd spot of computing history where modifying and distributing commercial products illicitly is the way it works.

HOLY SHIT

Finally, it will happen.

Attached: 40kart.jpg (1600x1497, 221.54K)

There are actually just shy of a dozen decent pure (as in assets and all) open source games. Non of them are technically impressive, but they're fun regardless.

Attached: Wyrmsun Launch Trailer-VR3Y2AkECg4.mp4 (632x472, 2.78M)

Neat. Can I play it on Windows XP?

I don't see why not supertuxkart can't run on Windows XP.

Tells me everything I need to know.

That you never played Warcraft 2?

It requires a modern version of OpenGL that won't be available for XP. You'll need to modify it yourself to make it work for XP.

Why are people still running Xp again? Hell, most XP-era games run in Wine these days.

That FOSS game design is stuck in 1995.

It's a Warcraft 2 clone. That's kinda the point.

Sasuga open source.

So, when is your /g/ ban up?

Good. The best games ever made came out in the 90s.

I sure love my tank controls in 3rd person 3D games, pinnacle of movement systems.

The great thing about open source is that everybody is welcome to fix bugs and evolve gameplay.

That Tuxkart game is the most bloated shit ever, and can't even run without OpenGL botnet computer. But you can run SNES games on any old potato, even an ARM Cortex-A7 with only software framebuffer. Hell even with OpenGL blob driver, the Tuxkart runs like ass. Old games for 8 and 16-bit platforms don't have this problem. They're much lighter on resources and any modern system will run them, even the weakest ARM chips that don't have the speculative execution botnet.

This model has proven time and time again to get nothing fixed in timely manner.

I like '90s games because I like gameplay in my games and not skinnerbox bullshit.

I don't think you know what bloat means.

Of course there's no serious reply to these posts, much easier to act all ironic and bury your head in the sand.

I'll make the logo.

Nobody wants to play a bunch of lame open source mascots. If FLOSSfags were smart they would have been making 2hu games.

Attached: 30nccwm.jpg (480x360, 13.07K)

That's impossible, FLOSSfags can only give birth to the ugly and the boring.

I'd prefer more animal characters over anime girls. Not like the penguin and bison, more like that platypus girl and the krita goat.

where's GNU/TH16?

Attached: Dude let me in.jpg (1928x1686, 476.12K)

Fuck yes

what about animal anime girls?

Yes, don't forget about the anime animal girls!

Attached: 68feb79ea0350de725eb4076d497e75b.jpg (305x514, 45.09K)

God, these names are golden.

Hidden Star in Four Freedoms?

Best one in the series.

There are already bullet hell games and even a direct 2hu clone.

Attached: muh2hugaems.png (825x640, 436.68K)

What do the girls look like?

physically close to manly girls

Attached: ROFL.png (279x500, 71.04K)

Nigger tank controls is what made a lot of old games fun. You HAD to adapt and get good if you wanted to win. It also made horror games more scary since it put you at a disadvantage if you get caught off guard.

The old art is getting replaced in the next release. Thank God. The game itself is alright.

Those are acceptable too.

Honestly, I don't understand why tank controls are so hated. It's not that clunky, and is actually a pretty good solution for controllers being somewhat limited by a lack of analog sticks. Stuff like Doom is actually pretty playable that way, at least with the default controls of the DOS version.

Attached: cf1aafee06bcacd21301bf8cb70e1bdc.jpg (698x960, 467.32K)

There are tons of good old games but you're defending literal shit because of nostalgia goggles.

GNUmono/Friends when?

start with this girl

Attached: 30_Gentoo_Penguin.png (870x1344, 173.89K)

feelsbadman

Attached: 1524243863274~2.jpg (627x733, 119.86K)

Good taste.
Anyways, tank controls are hated because they are a weird and inefficient blend of aiming and moving, and in non-first person games they have the crippling disadvantage of being relative to the character's position and not the camera's.

Aiming generally isn't an issue in those games, seeing as most of the third-person ones tend to have rather generous auto-aim or have refined it enough to where aiming towards a target is relatively quick and easy. Keep in mind that games like Combat on the 2600 pretty much had it nailed from the start, so more modern games with tank controls that mess that up have no excuse. Maybe I just haven't played any games that have had particularly bad in that aspect. then again, I might just have a lot of tolerance for clunky controls- seeing as I made it through a decent portion of Tomb Raider's android port

Gas yourself, pedoshit.

what are diaperheads?

Attached: Clang.jpg (1920x1080, 276.93K)

this but unironically

Exactly. In a racing game, where the viewport follows the direction your player is facing, tank controls are best. There is a small amount of aiming in tuxkart/mariokart (shooting bowling balls/shells), but this is supposed to be difficult.

It's not my fault your brain sucks at 3D spacial work user. You SHOULD be able to adapt to tank controls.

Attached: 161011.jpg (1080x1080, 190.98K)

Don't play those games, instead of coming here to bitch about them. Everyone else likes them with those controls.

Who are you quoting?

XXXXDDDDD epic pretending to be a newfag maymay, +reddit gold for that post

I'm not sure who's pretending anymore.

Does it have raytracing though?

Telling fags the proper use of greentext is being a newfag now?
What the fuck, where did all these desperate oldfag roleplayers come from?

Yes I'm sure that's exactly what your intention was you weren't trying to be a memeshitter at all.

Newfag

WHERE IS LIBBIE?

Attached: Lewd Libbie.png (612x788, 478.41K)

STK is extensible. You can make a Libbie add-on for hundreds of Zig Forums autists to download if you think that's a good idea.

Bullshit.
This is the biggest load of bullshit i've seen.

I would unironically play this.

Why does it still look this bad after so many years of development?

Besides AUTISM, that is

Attached: 9f3bf987ea777b231fd28ca8ab5a78226c6c6c9770e85489bb5be8a6cf0c2acf.jpg (800x809, 86.6K)

Why don't you shove your keyboard aside and lurk more, faggot.

Attached: 1368568330793.jpg (300x384, 31.83K)

The newer tracks can look pretty good.

Attached: Supertuxkart-0.9-screenshot-2.jpg (1440x774 552.15 KB, 466.57K)

Wait a minute, at least two of those are literally just straight up clones of Mario Kart tracks. I know STK is supposed to be inspired by Mario Kart, which is fair, but this is just plain bootlegging.

LOL

at least they do it for free

2hu character mod when?
i want to play as a 2D little girl