GNOME has Human Interface Guidelines

Why aren't you using a HUMAN interface designed for HUMANS by HUMANS??!?
developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/

Attached: hig.png (940x400, 120.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluecurve
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/GNOME_Without_systemd
nngroup.com/articles/hamburger-menus/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How could they exclude horrific trannies.

I'm a white man I use a terminal.

What does this have to do with trannies? Looks like it's just some UI guidelines so shit isn't fucked on the GUI side like most FOSS shit.

pick one and only one

It has nothing to do with trannies. Posters like and have nothing to contribute so they spout unfunny reddit meme-tier garbage

Look, I fucking know, but we have to start somewhere. GNOME is going to be fucked forever ;_;

Attached: Miguel_de_Icaza[1].jpg (300x410, 27.34K)

Apple invented the concept back in the 80s.

Attached: AHIGBook.jpg (2042x2182, 339.21K)

I like when shit is fucked on the GUI side of FOSS shit. Looks more human than having everything glossy and aligned to a pixel-perfect grid. I can appreciate the aesthetic of transience and imperfection in an interface. The Japanese have a word for it; wabi-sabi.

Attached: wabisabi porcelain bowl.jpg (1200x1200, 252.03K)

I can resume you their "Human Interface Guidelines" easily: they use the pretty known "monkey push button, monkey get banana" design philosophy.

this whole entire thread doesn't contribute to anything either. it just making fun of gnome

It's sad to remember that Gnome once had a decent and usable interface.

Attached: GNOME-Screenshot-2.10-FC4.png (1400x1050, 413.01K)

Gnome was always janky, it's just grown worse over time as the devs huffed more farts and stopped listening to anyone outside their circlejerk.

Hey. Mate is here for you.

Attached: mate-desktop-3.png (1920x1080, 1.24M)

No, GNOME was definitely getting better until they decided to come out with the new shell and blow it all to shit. KDE was already a bloated mess by that point. XFCE is still okay, but honestly I'm a Cinnamon man.

Proud neanderthal interface coming thru.

Attached: Debian_FVWM_Green.png (1024x768, 60.43K)

Seems like sane guidelines, don't spam dumb notifications and such. Mobile devs should take note

Any HIG that recommends the hamburger menu over an actual menu is shit. I kind of get it for mobile phone websites where space is really at a premium, but who thought that POS was a good idea on a desktop?

You know those chairs that have an attachment for writing on them? Those are shit, but in a crammed space where you cannot have actual desks they are better than nothing. It would be insanity to have one of those when you do have space for a real desk, and using using a hamburger menu on a desktop is just like that.

Attached: serveimage.jpeg (686x428 22.18 KB, 12.27K)

yeah and most stuff was quickly usable from the keyboard too. the only complaint i had was that the layout of menus and everything took up too much space on the screen to something like windows classic. now it's just HAMBURGER MENUS EVERYWHERE MOTHERFUCKER. 2 SECOND PAUSES FUCK YEAH

Great for low-end machines, but I've moved on to Mint+Cinnamon.

Thank god for kde. It might need a gig of ram, but at least it's not gnome.

Fuck off homo, I bet you use a black on white terminal.

Attached: get out.png (540x431, 248.79K)

This. Goddamn hamburger menus have NO FUCKING PLACE in a desktop system.

Attached: 228c946e3aee7373563e4e70434f760a.jpg (650x506, 73.02K)

#aaaaaa on #000000 masterrace.

eyes btfo

Attached: cowsay.png (352x170, 6.86K)

KYS at your nearest convenience.

White pride terminal users worldwide.

I thought this was a white man thread.

No whiteys allowed.

White on black, actually.

MATE won't fix gedit and all the other gnome programs.

Mate has already forked the old Gnome 2 apps and is in the process of porting them to use GTK3. You haven't seen Mate Pluma before.

The hot dog menu is the same, so it should be called a sandwich menu. Or at least that's what the normalfags would say, because a hot dog is a burger. It should clearly be in the burger section.

That's an overflow menu more-so than a hamburger menu, despite the icon (hamburger menus should exclusively be for dropping between top level navigation). Overflow menus are also poor design for two reasons: the first is that they're used to just dump a bunch of functionality they didn't want to 'clutter up' the UI with. Secondly they always redundantly house functionality that can (or should) be found elsewhere in a more obvious place, like menus.

I blame all these faggot UI designers trying to make their programs look like Mac ones, without understanding that Mac programs get away with 'cleaner' appearances because they have the global menu bar. Or maybe they're just so lazy they don't understand that making UIs that feel consistent and native with the host OS is their fucking job.

Some of their new programs have a clean look with sane defaults and no functionality has been removed, like Settings, Rhythmbox and Evince. Most of them are complete crap with missing features and weird design choices, like NetworkManager, Nautilus and GNOME Shell.

This so fucking much. Canonical was right with Unity, GNOME made a terrible mistake by not allowing them to co-develop GNOME.
The global menu has been one of the top most requested features for GNOME, but they refuse to do it because "it would require them to patch third party programs" MOTHERFUCKERS CANONICAL'S APPROACH WAS USING STANDARDS AND THUS DIDN'T REQUIRE ANY PATCHING WHATSOEVER AND EVEN THEN CANONICAL WAS ADDING PATCHES UPSTREAM ALL THE FUCKING TIME SO GLOBAL MENU WORKED.
Fuck. GNOME pisses me off.

The fact that they didn't have Guidelines (even informally) to begin with kind of makes it pointless to ever have them at all. The damage has been done.

console.log(["jews", "humans"][Math.floor(Math.random()*2)])

trannies have forfeit their humanity

yeah, because I love being blind at 40.

Do you prefer wasting space just because a la windows10?

wew

He's talking about not having compact menus where space is available and putting the options in the respective places because it makes things easier.
THIS IS COMPLETELY UNLIKE WINDOWS 10 WHERE YOU HAVE TWO CONTROL PANELS, YOU DIMWIT.

Even with it's problems, Windows runs a second to Mac design. Because it's consistent...at the very least.

You shills ought to up your game.

this looks so clean and comfy

Can someone tell me please what's the font and icon scheme?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluecurve

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (800x600 227.7 KB, 397.53K)

gnome3 takes less screen estate. it takes none by default, giving applications full use of the screen.

Can you even use gnome without being systemdicked?

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/GNOME_Without_systemd

I actually installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my mom's laptop because Windows kept crashing and it was getting tiresome to reinstall Windows every six months.

She tried several DEs in a live USB before install. She liked KDE at first, but she loved GNOME. Why? Because it looks and works like a phone. As a side note she hated XFCE because the defaults are shit. It can be easily configured to look and act more like Windows or MacOS, but the first impressions does matter.

I hate the GNOME DE because its slow, they remove features for no reason, their default file manager feels limited and they made some retarded design decisions, but I understand why they made it: they wanted to make an easy-to use future-proof interface. You gotta put it in context: when GNOME 3 was being drafted, Windows 8 had a mobile-centered design and both tablets and smartphones were selling more than laptops and desktop PCs. That isn't to say a tablet design on PC is a good idea though.

Most of GNOME's programs work and look fine in different aspect ratios. I believe GNOME belongs in stuff like the Librem 5 and tablets, not desktops though.

Attached: screenrecord.webm (1920x1080, 3.27M)

In fact some programs now include touchscreen gestures in their "shortcuts" section.

Attached: touch.png (954x596, 50.14K)

Couldn't you just configure KDE to be more phone-like? I switched over from the Mac and I configured KDE to be more Mac-like using only what KDE ships with by default, no Latte Dock or any crap like that. It's not the same look (and that is for the better), but I got all the functionality I wanted :global menu, status icons in the top right, a "dock" (icons-only task manager) to the side with application icons, trash and folder view.

The nice thing is that if I find that there is something I would like better in a different way, I can just configure KDE that way. With macOS I was stuck with the design decisions Apply had made and that's it. I think it took me less than one hour to rice up KDE, and most of that time was spent watching YouTube videos.

The same thing with Gnome, wouldn't it be better to have a capable DE which you can dumb down according to your (or rather your mother's) taste, rather than having a DE which is dumbed down by default? At least that was my rationale when I was choosing the DE.

Yes, you probably could. But GNOME seems to be geared towards users who can't/don't configure things thoroughly like that. I'd prefer the Unity 8 approach though.

Hamburger menus are actually counter-intuitive and aren't helpful to the global population.

Yep, you're right:
nngroup.com/articles/hamburger-menus/

Because I3 and DWM and even fucking Mate and XFCE is superior on anything but a fucking tablet!

You're not white if your terminal has black background.

Gnome has been irrelevant since the Mate fork. This was funny though.

There are no such things, only fags.

To be fair: if you're using gnome on a laptop with touchpad, it does a good job in staying out of your way. The menu, that can be opened by flicking the mouse into the top left corner, does make sense in that regard.
Doing some more with the touchpad (gestures etc) isn't a bad idea per se. Maybe someone comes up with an idea some time that utilizes the quirks of a touchpad better than awkwardly moving a mousepointer. Who knows.

Also they gave users the possibility to customize the UI quite easily with their plugins and whatnot. Although that'll probably eat up some more memory.

To be honest your mother probably intuitively uses gnome more how it's meant to be used - in contrast with people that expected gnome classic. Theres mate for those, which is pretty good.

No, not the same thing. It's totally different to want to suck a dick and want to have your dick surgically inverted into a pseudo-vagina. Most gays are just as weirded out by trannies as straights.