I Dreamed a Dream

The internet of the (immediate) future will be indistinguishable from TV.
You will pay a monthly fee to access several "sites", and pay additional fees for additional sites accessed. These sites will be even plainer and more neutered versions of youtube, facebook, twitter, instagram, along with netflix and CNN like news. Youtube will just be a netflix clone. REDDIT will be a non interactive homepage for news, cooking, weather, etc. 4chan will be the new REDDIT. You may be able to create sites, but you can't go beyond existing templates, words filters, and image stocks.

How much would it cost to:
Build and maintain a satellite that would allow everyone within LOS to communicate with everyone else within LOS, with the satelite acting as a server? Goal being an internet that can be accessed anywhere and can only be censored by blowing up the satellite itself. This free internet will (at first?) only be text based to save on memory (and to not deal with the inevitable criminal use of it, like CP)

Attached: 1467572079382.jpg (484x497, 35.37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6214
bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0051.html
archive.is/LBMwH
networkworld.com/article/2917271/data-center/lasers-will-allow-real-time-satellite-communications.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not sure, but you would need a network of satellites to achieve global coverage.

This would almost inevitably happen.

There's no way to use technical means to prevent image or video sharing, unless you allow censorship and block anything that looks like encryption. You can encode any arbitrary data in ASCII. Even with low data rates, how would you prevent people from creating an arbitrarily high number of nodes for load balancing?

Ah, so you want a net neutrality thread.

Billions. Musk is spending ten billion for 7000 satelites, but the majority of the cost is just from launching the rockets. The ground level mesh net that I saw on /g/ a few times is more tenable, but good luck organizing enough spergs to pull off even that. I've seen it recommended to get a ham radio license, the existence of which just demonstrates how easy it would be to censor if they chose. I read about a US company that tried skipping the FCC for a satellite launch by going from india, they got in even more shit for doing that. If the US gov really decides they want to censor the internet, you can go tell the blackshill he was right (they wont though, so fuck off).

Unless you can wait patiently for your (You)s. It's true that a satellite in geosynchronous orbit would only cover part of the globe, but if the satellite is going around the Earth, it would be available to different parts of the planet, just not all at the same time.

Costs less then 400 USD, the billions come from the government bribes and kike bribes along with the over pajeet coded hackathons and sending data to the *insert ageny here*. The rocket fuel is literally a 30% 70% mixture of gasoline and sulfuric diseal.
You would have to put a big attena on the sattilite and expect minimum 500ms delays. Then you need to make antennas with enough gain to reach the sattilite and make software that communicates with it.
Wrong. Most (((world governments))) have jewgle sattilites and local radio signal repeaters that *can* but not neccessarily will pick up radio signals and repeat them to a server for collection. If enough people used the right frequency of radio for data communication then collect it all techniques would stop working. As collection of radio data is much more expensive then 500 SSD's and a copier machine at the end of teir one service provider fiber lines. It is harder to automate collecting radio data when you have to filter out xrays and sun signals amongst normal traffic to find what you are looking for. Especially if the repeater and sattilte infrastructure is only scanning on certain frequencies and doesnt work if the repeaters are overloaded and the sattilites are drowned in data.

Look at what has happened in Cuba. Those fuckers don't have satellites but they're still getting new shows and games from outside the country (with tolerance from the government, of course).
also meshnet FTW?

I really don't want to ruin your dreams but think of all the delay. If you didn't care you would write it on a letter and hand it over in person.
It would be way slower than our current internet infrastructure.
Meshnet too. And all the fucking waves. Everyone would get cancer. WLan fags get out!
Overthrow your kike government and you get good infrastructure and you can remove the censorship organs.

Do you realize that band pass filters and triangulation is a thing right?
Catching a pirate radio is really really easy as long as it keeps transmitting.

Lol no.
Radio waves propagate everywhere, they don't need visas, just by being close to the US shitload of US radio and TV reaches Cuba.
t. radiofag

This is why I’m slowly transitioning away from using the internet as anything more than a thing to look up information and talking logistics of meeting with friends and colleagues. It’s gonna be like TV in the sense that it’s getting absolutely commercialized and pretty much useless except for a service or two and all the smart people will move away from it for the most part. The communities are all either dead, really small, or highly fractured. The main things normies use are youtube, amazon, and social media anyways. We’re witnessing the end of an era bois. But it’s not gonna be a big battle thing like the blackpills imagine it. It’s just gonna cease to be a thing. I’m just gonna keep cooking and tending to my garden

Not unless they block all the other websites. Normies can sit whenever the fuck the want to and pay for their youtubes or whatever. While we do our own thing.

I already find the internet indistinguishable from TV in that it's mostly boring nonsense.

I'm getting cancer from this thread. It's like nobody bothers to close their browsers. There's more to the Internet and computers than Port 80 and 443. There are more things to see than Hypertext. The Internet is returning to the 1990s if you look beyond the World Wide Web. Go get two routers and hack them up with higher powered antennae so they can talk with one another. Go teach yourself an Internet Protocol like TCP. Go get some toy infrared sender and receiver and see if you can signal with your RPi, or whatever meme flavor you want. Before you talk about satellites, why not try a weather balloon? RC plane? Model rocket? A $30 RC tonka toy?
In fact, go get yourself a drone and try to implement RFC1149 (A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers)
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149
...then implement QoS
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549
,,,and finally IPv6
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6214
Because all you do is consume. Well, and shitpost here apparently. But once that dopamine rush wears off, you still feel like shit. That's because posting here isn't building. You aren't learning. You are not *doing*. And it feelsbadman.jpg
There is an ENTIRE WORLD sitting beneath your fingers; this is only the very top of the crust. I promise there's so much to see and do.
Fuck the WWW. Let's consign it as Containment for normie business bullshit and let them eat their young. Fuck them.
The irony isn't lost on me, but I'm taking a break from implementing Bittorrent DHT and BEP_0051. Shitposting is relaxing, but don't let it take over. I'll be back arguing with my computer soon enough.
bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0051.html

Attached: miraclepoweredcomputer.jpg (1200x1200, 279.29K)

You're a commie just like the nigger meme you quoted. Back to reddit

you're a hundred years too young to have this dream, OP.

Commie would be nationalizing internet infrastructure and giving everyone a set amount of bandwidth each month to do whatever.

Creating a non centralized internet that can't be censored or destroyed (within reason) isn't communism.

No matter the innovation, the best way to share ideas that matter, and interact with people that matter, is in the real world and secret meetings behind cafe shops.

No doubt people all over chan clones can pool money and commission a satellite to be built, and buy space of a rocket to set it into orbit, and people can use existing computers and dishes to communicate with one another. But jailing people that are maintaining the satellite(s) is too easy. Or just not giving permission for the launch in the first place.

Limit the post size enough, and that won't be practical. You'd have to spam the board with tons of messages full of encoding, and that's easy enough to trigger a filter that auto-deletes everything posted from that IP(s) and bans them for a period.

Laser-based satellite comms is already a thing. It's just being used for nefarious purposes.
archive.is/LBMwH

networkworld.com/article/2917271/data-center/lasers-will-allow-real-time-satellite-communications.html

(((They))) always win.
End of story.

This. What OP is saying is he supports net neutrality. Do we agree?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (960x960, 39.35K)

4x GEO satellites at 50-170million usd/pcs, including launch.
That would be the traditional way of getting global coverage.
Then you'd need groundstations for station keeping and so on. and the satellites would have 15year designed lifespan due to the requirements of station keeping.
You might be able to get more use, but 15years is the industry norm.
And you will be stuck at Pentium3 level of performance in orbit as the electronics need to be radhard.
"But ISS uses normal laptops!", yeah, at 150km altitude, not 22000km like GEO, different conditions.
Add in thermal and power budgets (the satellite needs to work also in the shadow of earth, due to it being GEO).
People see 8000usd cubesat kits and imagine they can stuff in an raspberry pi and get it launched for 50k to orbit.

No blowing up required, just jamm the uplinks & search for civilian uplink users and bust them for "piracy of the airwaves".
Iran has been occasionally jamming satellites that beam BBC to the middle east. And china does the same for dissident content on shortwave and satellite.

Also good 'ol uuencode from usenet days for binary-over-ascii.

Yeah lower orbits would be cheaper. And a sun synchronous store-and-forward satellite could be viable. Just a bit of a turnaround to see if people reacted to your shitpost.
But being in the sun 24/7 would allow for a better powerbudget.

This is why you only receive until you send a short "data content request burst" or something.
Kainda like how Othernet (former Outernet) is beaming shit from orbit.
They transferred from L-band (around 1550MHz) to Ka-band (somewhere around 10.6-12.6GHz) due to lower costs of bandwidth. But they are using 600kHz or soemthing wide LoRa for the downlink.
So it requires custom hardware to receive and LoRa is proprietary and protected by patents.

Neat.

Btw satellites with BBS's exist, there's just so little users. Packet sats are also a thing, even the ISS had a packet repeater for data at one point.

I too, dreamed this dream.
Send me an email: [email protected]

I too, dreamed this dream.
Send me an email to me: [email protected]

fine
commie would be internationalizing after overthrowing the previous system to nationalize it, and never getting to the internationalize part for reasons that no one would be willing to talk about

>>>/reddit/

dat suggestion to unironically implement RFC1149 tho

I know. I' m only using it because its my old account and I dont have my new email server set up.