Zen 2

Anyone else hyped for Computex and the AMD Zen 2 reveal tomorrow? Thinking of ditching my 2600 for a 3600X, or maybe even the 16 core part so I can run VMs while playing games.

Attached: apu apuSutaja.jpg (757x627, 87.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
linux-sunxi.org/A20
gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/web/wikis/home
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/picking-a-processor
youtube.com/watch?v=7vv4lwq-ZCw
newsroom.intel.com/news/2019-computex-keynote-livestream-replay/#gs.ehnnlw
youtube.com/watch?v=s_l2aqUGHJs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, because PSP.
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
Fuck AMD, fuck Intel. I'm not going to buy anything, but libre Risc-v processors.

Which don't exist for consumers. What would you buy if you had to buy a computer today?

Nah, I don't do that woke commie consumerism bullshit. Until there's benchmarks from multiple third-party sources, I'm not even considering that product.

Zen 3 will probably bring AM4 and GCN successors, DDR5 RAM support, new USB 4 support, and AV1 HW acceleration.

So... There's no reason to buy Zen 2.

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

Such is the hubris of the average know-it-all!

i have no reason to care. my current hardware still works so i dont need anything else. would be dumb consumerism to buy something that i dont need

A20 doesn't have trustzone, EOMA68-A20 is going to receive FSF's RYF certificate. A20 is supported by Linux-libre, the only thing missing is a libre driver replacement for MALI, but there's actually one in progress - Lima.

I'm just hoping people finally start leaving Intel in the enterprise at least a bit more (maybe no hyperthreading will convince the suits).
It's hard to fight the whole attitude of "no one gets fired for buying intel hyuk-hyuk-hyuk"

Attached: 2019-05-12 18_36_25-Window.png (673x1116, 413.37K)

Is there any Risc-V stuff yet? I was looking into it after an interview I saw in youtube, but I'm still unclear on that.
Or maybe there is but it's 2k buckaroos

Can I use a javashit-enabled browser of the kind banks allow to do home banking?
Can I watch 1080p60 video?
Can I install gentoo on it before dying of old age and run it daily?
Or is it only good for word processing, emailing, and browsing 8ch with lynx?

/thread

Does anyone really need much more than that?

He's probably some anime manchild.

I hope this is a joke

This, on the other hand, is a completely serious post hosted on the technology fanatic board. Why are you even here?

Probably yes, but with proprietary MALI driver. linux-sunxi.org/A20
But the libre driver is going to be up to 40% faster.
gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/web/wikis/home
It has a processor and 2GB of RAM, so probably yes, but it depends on how bad is a website you're visiting,
I'm not a gentoo user, but last time I checked, probably a year ago it consumed 500MB of ram, don't know about how it handles compilation though. Also gentoo is not Windows 10 or Ubuntu with Unity, so guess it'll work.
Tbh I don't know, I bought one, it should be shipped soon, so I'll check it out.

I can't on a raspi3, which has a stronger GPU.

So probably not, including the OS and browser overhead.

That's the core of the argument. Spoiler alert, it's shit.

You can compile gentoo on another machine, then move it over. You don't local compilation for daily usage.

*need

BUY CONSUME CONFORM OBEY

The future of lower end ARM is one big out of order core and a bunch of slower in-order cores. The new SoCs are a few years out but should make things like the rpi more reasonable for every day use.

Attached: 8AC9A502-1D2F-4D9F-814F-7FE541FA2CA1.png (328x316, 40.5K)

Do you mean a compromised x86 machine? Don't let hear you!

Do you mean Zen 3 reveal? You can't reveal something that has already been revealed.

Reveal, announcement, launch, whatever.

The Ryzen 3000 series is based on the Zen 2 core architecture.

You could always make a cluster using these cards. The performance isn't the best, but that's the only computer built from the ground to be compliant with Respects Your Freedom certificate, which means it doesn't need any non-free software to run. I don't want to invest my money in old thinkpads, just because they have a bug, allowing you to install libreboot and disable the ME. Spending money on hardware designed to mistreat users leads nowhere. I'll rather buy one of these cards and hope the next generation will be more powerful.
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/picking-a-processor
I will be compiling programs myself too with Guix System, even if it'll take a day, I don't mind, at least I'll be finally botnet-free.

I GOT YOU! And yes that's right, x86 can't be trusted.

That only addresses the gentoo point.

It's low enough that it limits several home computing tasks and absolutely bars any professional computing tasks outside of things you can accomplish on a fucking Z80 machine.
Liking it is fine, but don't publicise it as the computing panacea it's not, otherwise you'll end up alienating the curious people who end up getting burned.

its indeed possible to cross compile but why do things like openbsd then compile the system on native hardware.. there must be some reason for that since they could just cross compile too

Why is Neil Gaiman wearing a Lisa Su name tag?

I remember hearing somewhere that amd was going to opensource psp? Would it be fine then?

Isn't that overkill? A20 is faster than Z80. The Internet won't be that bad with uMatrix in a browser - the most bloated part of websites is actually JS running in the background and images of hipster drinking a coffee. Instead of full blown DE like GNOME or KDE, you can use i3-wm. You can get rid of a lot of unnecessary things making the system run more smoothly. Also the purpose of the card is to have easily upgradeable computer and good enough computing, e.g. browsing the internet, using a text editor, something like MS Word, etc. The target of the card isn't rendering or playing latest games, but having computing you can trust (or at least trust more).
My botnet dumbphone has 3GB of ram and a Qualcomm processor and it is enough for most websites.
Additionally Guix System has reproducible builds, so I don't have to build software myself, because you could just download and verify package from a substitute server. Don't know if Gentoo provides something like that, but last time I checked, it didn't.
We'll see, If I finally get my card, I'll probably make a thread about it, guess some anons will do the same.

begin rant on embedding modern software
For a comparison, a heavily customied fork of firefox running musl using openbox to post this takes about 226MB of ram for the whole system and browser on a 64bit system. Now halve that, halve it again, and then halve it again for each halving of bitsize. You get an approximate ram usage for a 8bit system like the Z80 because of the reduced word size, integer size, and pointer size, which is about 28MB, thats insane. For a comparison older Z80's use 128KB of ram. Now mind you there's still kernel optimizations and javascript optimization that could be had to reduce this further like down to near 10MB, along with compiling everything into a static blob like a init, but thats still insane. The Z80 variants barely supported 16MB of ram so you could feasably do it if you port the linux-tiny patches to a modern kernel.

You would have to use adress space extensions just to have enough adressable ram for a Z80 to be able to run, or use an insane amount of disk caching with adress space extensions as yet. You would probably be able to run it though since if I set my proccessor to 700MHZ my whole system still uses 1% of the proccessing power to post this, which is 7MHZ and the z80 could go up to 10mhz before variants so its enough.

Indeed, those extensions you want to run? They run on javascript you moron. Now if you are using javascript extensively like on javascript enabled website they are awesome. But if you just disable javascript entirely they sit in the background taking up ram and are bloat. Ublock origin takes up 50MB of ram with the lists loaded and my browser is using 47MB or something for a grand total of 97MB, disabling it and disabling javascript halves my ram usage.
That phone is just a core2duo with a touchscreen by comparison to x86.

You cross compile the bare minimum needed to compile natively on the target system and then use the target system to compile everything. This is because you have less chance of the cross-compiler fucking something up ala ENV variable while also possibly getting better compiling performance, but it varies.

Yes
No
Yes
Lynx is better then javashit but install gentoo and you too, can have javashit.

no point in ditching original zen but if you are buying zen first time probably should get this new one for that 15-25% perf boost

No. Next Zen will have a new socket.
In fact, buying Zen 2 would be the most retarded decision ever due to that.

im ready

Attached: bb4b701bd1ceaf2fbc0806fb3cb32871eaab9322b5c84da5447222574726b111.jpg (625x468, 94.52K)

Let the butt fucking begin.

Attached: giddy_up_intel.gif (250x250, 56.89K)

LIVE
youtube.com/watch?v=7vv4lwq-ZCw

wow, it's fucking nothing, wait for E3.

When is Zen 3? Time time next year? Another year on a Pentium 4 will end up with me suiciding.

2020. They said AM4 would last until 2020 so AM5 will probably be announced then too.

What is the purpose of the $400 chip, the 3800X? It looks exactly the same as the $320 chip but uses more power.

S

Attached: yes.jpg (250x250, 11.71K)

I'm this guy here. I'll still wait for Zen 3, but...
HOLY FUCK
AMD literally destroyed Intel into the abyss
Intel is fucking dead

Zen 4 will probably bring AM5 and GCN2 successors, DDR6 RAM support, new USB 5 support, and AV2 HW acceleration.

So... There's no reason to buy Zen 3.

Nah, we know sockets change with new memory, and DDR5 is overdue for releasing this year already.
AMD also announced that AM4/GCN will only last until 2020.

Do I wait for DDR5 and Zen 3 if I have a 2600k i7?

why do people ask dumb questions like this

To get dumb responses.

It's your choice. I'm going for future-proof.

About GCN, it was in fact already replaced with Navi, the new architecture is called RDNA now.

it just looks like retarded consumerism to me. if you have to ask such things then you dont need it.

C'mon, he has a 2nd gen i7. I myself have a 3rd gen one and am basically dying to upgrade - shit is starting to get really slow, and Intel Zombieland patch will cut CPU performance by fucking 40%.

Zen 2 was a godsend and the hype is flowing through our veins. But I know I'll contain myself because, more important than raw power is compatibility with new hardware and software standards (such as the DDR5, USB and AV1 things).

AMD has surpassed Intel in IPC. Single thread 9900k at 5.0Ghz is equal to 3800X at 4.5Ghz. Note this due to the benchmark taking full advantage of the massive L3 cache so real world workloads will probably have a bit slower IPC.

Attached: AMD BTFO Intel.jpg (2053x1025, 121.15K)

The answer is to wait for Zen 3 and DDR5.

Here's your (you), the poster running on that unreal amount of RAM proves you are just using shitty software. Upgrade to that kikezone free ARM board or a talos, getting anything x86 at this point is a downgrade for when new hardware problems show up. But not only that but propietary micro code like found on AMD and intel CPUs can never be improved for performance. So you are limiting yourself for nothing.

Attached: cd7dd097d1eaf6dca496d6e482b84b7a449237b3e712002e7ae4077b71e6047f.webm (1280x720, 357.45K)

I'll bite it.
Show me an alternative to Autodesk and Tekla that runs on RISC-V or POWERPC.
Go on, I'll be waiting.

DDR5 is going to be way more expensive the first year because it'll be brand new. This has been the case for every new RAM spec. Plus if you're only gaming it's not going to make much of a difference. In fact, it might be worse because the latency is going to increase and the first wave of DDR5 might not have the clock rates to offset it and make it worth it.
AM4 already supports 2 10Gbps USB. If you need more go buy a hub. It's not like you actually use anything that would require such a high speed unless you use portable SSDs.
That's only if you're planning on getting an APU since their regular processors don't have a GPU. Plus it's not like AV1 requires hardware assisted decoding or something. Using current software decoding (dav1d with AVX2) we're getting 200+ fps for 1080p and almost 60 fps for 4k. By the time Zen 3 is out it will be much more optimized. The only difference is the lower power which isn't that big of a deal for desktops.

AM5/AM4+ will mainly be just a RAM upgrade. Everything else is already on AM4. Even Zen 3 will just be Zen 2 with AVX-512 and higher clocks and some lower latency.

ARM is better then x86 but current implementations are just as botnet. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. And yes, POWER9 Talos is botnet free.

POWER9 is more then capable of running those with descent performance in a VM.

Then don't update nigger.

Don't tell me what I need or not. You might not need it because you're a light user or anything - and I'm not even talking about gayming.

You see, this patch applies to every single Intel CPU since a decade ago.
This is a reason to upgrade away from Intel more than ever.

Alright faggot what do you do on desktop hardware that's so RAM speed bottlenecked? I will tell you the fucking facts. You don't need more USB ports or hardware AV1 decoding as I already said. AM4 has PCI-E 4.0 and motherboards have 3 NVMe ports. AM5/AM4+ will not add any IO ports that AM4 doesn't have. The only upgrade will be newer CPUs and RAM. If you're not going to update your CPU for at least 3 years (plausible given you're still on a 2012 CPU) then it makes no fucking difference.

If you want your performance back then disable the mitigations and don't be a retard who installs viruses or runs javascript on random websites. You're only vulnerable if you let them in.

Won't be upgrading my CPU this year, but I will be upgrading to the top-end Navi GPU, GTA V runs like dogshit on my RX480.

I actually keep downgrading in recent months, OP. I went from a 4k monitor (that was a big pain in the ass because of poor software/media support) to a 1600x1200 4:3 screen. Everything just werks on that one, and I use mostly bitmap fonts which have the perfect size at that resolution. (most common bitmap fonts with a size of 16px, they also render much faster because there are not so many immediate steps with subpixel/antialiasing/etc. - also much sharper) Surprisingly much amount of processing power (for these days) goes into driving such a high-res screen. You'll notice the moment you downgrade from one.

I then downgraded to an AMD Kabini system from my i7. Does all I need and saves a lot of power (and noise, it's passively cooled) and doesn't have PSP. Now that I have a lower res screen, I'm actually thinking about taking it a step further and downgrading to an A20. Will keep a faster x86 computer around for vidya but honestly, for normal workstation stuff an ARM might be more than enough.

All this highend-OMG-LED-RAM consumer bullshit is for 14yo fortnite players and people who fall for the consumerism meme. Workstation computers are a solved problem. This is only an industry creating problems and the solutions at the same time to keep itself alive. If stuff doesn't work on computers of that performance grade, use better software and also stop visiting shitty JS-bloated websites. I have JS usually turned off in my browser, and so should you. Stop visiting sites that depend on it, it's often the patently unnecessary product of some hipster faggot webdev who has no business sitting in front of a computer.

I have gentoo installed on an A20. Perfectly doable. Just get used to longer compilation times basically and have swap space set up. Also doesn't hurt if you have a faster computer around that helps with the compilation, gentoo has crossdev and distcc for that and you can look up manuals how to set it up on the wiki. (They're mostly Pi based but it's largely the same principle) I have a custom-compiled mainline kernel and runit-init on my A20. It's all doable.

If you have a botnet-phone you could probably cross-compile with that and termux too. Always wanted to look into how to set that up but was too lazy to do it yet. The Snapdragon in my botnetphone is quite a bit faster than the A20. You can generally use your phone for a lot of computing tasks and it's not really difficult to turn it into what is basically a linux system usage-wise. I have LineageOS 16 (without that google-crap, only using f-droid) and a well supported phone and /sys/ has a lot of interesting stuff that let me do things like turn off the screen completely or turn off battery charging (to run the phone off USB power permanently without ruining the battery, can have the battery sit at e.g. 60%) by echo'ing the appropriate values. With android-tools/adb you can set up a telnet or ssh connection to your phone and termux via USB, no networking necessary. You can also use scrcpy to run your phone off your computer screen and basically run apps in a window on your desktop, as even on USB2 the bandwidth is more than good enough and the latency is very low. You have the botnet already, might as well use it. Also can save a lot of power, these processors are very energy-efficient. I'm basically using my phone as an auxiliary computer when I'm home.

Also, I've been using gentoo since about ~14 years and the compilation times on the A20 are still faster than on the systems I started out with so yeah, first world problems if these are too slow for you. Worked back then and we survived and were productive.

As has been said, biggest limitation on these A20-based SBCs is RAM, but you can get around that if you choose wisely.

I work with engineering. My personal computer is from 2012, but not my office's.
I know my demands and the differences it make.
Now, grow up and you might know what real work is, what real power we need, how much these Cores and Threads make a difference, and how better RAM will be godsent.

as long as they provide a means of flashing your own image, sure

I still don't see you giving an example of a heavily memory bottlenecked program you use. Being vague makes it sound like you don't have an answer.
You were talking about upgrading your personal computer in your post you nigger. That's why I specified "desktop hardware" not "workstation hardware". Even after moving the goalpost you still won't name your super memory bandwidth starved "engineering" program.

I said it already up there. Tekla.
Yes, because I want, I NEED to work from home now.
Oh, fuck off.

Zen 2 seems to be a farewell gift from AMD to early adopters since the times of Excavator. Something akin to 'we're giving this power to you, since you trusted us since the beginning'.
So, it's something for people who already have a AM4 CPU to upgrade to.

Zen 3 will be more oriented for PCs built from zero, newcomers and people who'll jump in the AMD bandwagon after Zen 2 proves to be a success.

Yeah seeing as AMD has adopted Intel's tick-tock schedule Zen 3 will basically be Zen 2+. It'll be a slightly improved Zen 2 on 7+nm node, slightly higher clocks, AVX-512 that combines the two new 256bit ALUs just like how they combined their two 128bit ALUs in Zen/Zen+ to get AVX2, and DDR5. There's basically nothing else they can upgrade except making it use tri-channel memory and I really doubt they'll do that. They might also unlock another 4 PCI-E lanes for a second full speed NVMe drive for a total of 28 lanes.

You're projecting something very strange onto a semiconductor company. You may have a mental illness.

I'm having an opinion, which might be correct or incorrect, and not anything close to a vision, feeling or wishful thinking.

I think so too. Zen 3 will be 'a better Zen 2', a 'Zen 2+'.
I'm not worried about it if it launches with compatibility with new standards.
Word in the street is that Zen 4 will have 5nm+ and will have a big leap in performance compared to Zen 3, similar to what we're seeing here with Zen+ and Zen 2.
But by then I won't care, Zen 4 just seems to be bringing that to the table: power, and nothing else.

Should I stick with intel if I use pcsx2 a lot or other emulators?

Oh god it's bad.
newsroom.intel.com/news/2019-computex-keynote-livestream-replay/#gs.ehnnlw

You shouldn't stick with Intel, period

Rumors say that Zen 3 will bring 3 (or possibly 4) threads per core.

Intel is the new IBM.

Zen 4 I think is going to have stacked memory too.

They're really going to have to invest in a lot of R&D for Zen 4. I don't think they'll be able to take the easy way again and just double their cache to increase IPC.

I was running pcsx2 with a first gen i7 860 with 4x resolution perfectly. No, sticking with Intel for emulators is a dumb meme. Zen 2 will probably be better then Intel for emulators because of the new massive L3 cache.

First of all there's zero chance of anyone using a non power of two number for threads. The way CPUs are designed won't allow it. I could see them using 4 way SMT in Zen 4. Why the hell not since IBM is already using 8 way SMT in their beefy POWER9 CPUs.

I have bought AMD in the last two decades because of all the shit intel did in the late 90s and early 00s but you people are deluded if you think AMD would be any better if they controlled the market. Don't trust any Corporation to do what's right. They don't give a shit about you, they only care about money.

Nobody is saying that. You're right though leftypol, the jews would've seized power over whoever made it to the top by the late 90s. It would've been a different name but the same outcome.

Relevant
youtube.com/watch?v=s_l2aqUGHJs

(((Lienus shill tips))) that guy's community is 10x worse than reddit

that... isnt Linus

TechLinked is owned by Linus Media Group retard. Along with TechQuickie. Linus himself hosts some episodes of TechLinked. Riley is the shows typical host though, he was one of Linus' co-workers back at NCIS before NCIS went under

Regardless, Linus is a massive shill for Kikes and especially Chinese trash

How is this leftypol?

That's completely right and the reason why a good government builds concentration camps for people who unreasonably increase prices or try to fraud costumers.

You're the retard here

and guess what he married.

He is also a Eunuch that had to cut his nuts off after having two mixed happa kids. I swear the little faggots voice is getting higher pitched every day as whats left of his bodies testosterone reserves are being slowly drained away

I fucking hate these kiike shills so much. In 4chin /g/, some intelkike shills were constantly posting fake news, so I decided to reply with a few links and images that completely btfo'd them. Surprise surprise, then the fucking janny gives me a sitewide ban for three days for (((rule 3))) and deletes my posts; but sure enough, the lie filled posts are still up there.
Fuck janny trannies and fuck kike shills.

You have to go back.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy
Educate yourself, you illiterate nigger.

Riley and James deserve only love.

maybe if you weren't an AMD niggerkike you wouldn't get bodied by jannies

Attached: 1558276062674.jpg (600x585, 20.79K)

LOLOLOLOL

People paid more for an RTX 2070.
But yeah, Zen 2 won't be the generation either.

Risc-V or nothing. Finally the time as come for us, the true believers, to free ourselves from the past and assessed to a higher system.

Poor users blame there tools.
Better users build better tools.
Operators get there tools to do the work for them.

Remember this always.

I was kinda dissapointed that 3200/3400G are based on Zen+ architecture, 3400G will have $10 smaller price, slightly faster specs.

OEM's pumping out cheap computers won't care, and those seems to be the target demographic for the APU's (such a stupid name for CPU's with onboard GPU).
Besides, it's only with Zen2 that AMD has gotten something really good going on, Zen1 and Zen+ were really funky with memory performance and the cpu "links" thing

Navi is going to tank.