What is to blame for San Fransisco

There is Shit, used needles, piles of garbage, homeless with massive encampments everywhere. It is only getting worse. What is San Fransisco doing wrong? What needs to change

Attached: injection.jpg (620x349 30.56 KB, 43.41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thebolditalic.com/why-san-francisco-s-homelessness-problem-is-still-complicated-c4b16e0a7107
sf.curbed.com/2016/12/5/13845276/bathrooms-san-francisco-sf
sacbee.com/news/investigations/nevada-patient-busing/article2577189.html
usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-02-15/budget-undercuts-trump-focus-on-mental-health-school-safety
sacbee.com/news/state/california/article213756039.html
huffingtonpost.com/entry/woman-calls-police-oakland-barbecue_us_5af50125e4b00d7e4c18f741
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A large amount of the homeless are mentally ill or (obviously) addicts
This stems from Kennedy closing the sanitariums in the 60s but dying before he could put the comprehensive mental health program he intended to provide into practice which resulted in large amounts of these people essentially left in the streets

It's where the "Asylum giving out patients greyhound bus tickets" meme came from

No expert, but I did a bit of digging. It's one of the most expensive places to live in, but it has a housing/ affordability crisis. No shit san-fran has a homeless problem, the people living there can't afford homes!

thebolditalic.com/why-san-francisco-s-homelessness-problem-is-still-complicated-c4b16e0a7107

This article does give some more in depth analysis, but if any other anons want to contribute, it'd be much appreciate.

I've been there, it's ridiculous that there is such staggering poverty in the midst of vast wealth and economic activity. Downtown and SoMa are undergoing vast transformations and there's new construction everywhere you turn to, there are (still) loads of tourists and events, there's loads of new startups and the big corporations are making record-breaking profits.

I don't know how officials haven't been able to deal with it with all the resources they have. New York isn't this bad and even in Los Angeles it isn't as pervasive.

I don't know about homelessness, but California's ridiculous housing prices are due to a bunch of intermeshing municipal and county red tape that make new construction very expensive and also rent control.

Here's an article from December 2016.
sf.curbed.com/2016/12/5/13845276/bathrooms-san-francisco-sf

I'm going to go ahead and say arrogance and disdain for the poor coupled with a liberal embarrassment at said disdain.

You. All of you.

Are there cities in the US with decent climates that aren't like this? That just sounds like shit you'd see taking the light rail in Houston.

War on drugs and by extension treating addiction as a crime rather than a disease
No homeless support programs
Terrible economy
No social safety net

And
is not true, because other countries with the same capitalist system but a different approach to homelessness does not have these issues, nor that many junkies, or homeless people.

By and large, the elected officials don't give much of a shit. Who do you think gave all those corporations tax breaks in the first place? the same is true for a lot of larger cities.
t. lived here a few months

this.
t.lived here my entire life

yes. tl;dr capitalism, the bourgeoisie, its government. Not to mention the petit bourgeoisie who basically live to consume and would never think of doing legwork to clean their mess. petit bourgeois exist to enjoy, proles exist to do the work

police refuse to lock them up and hook them up with services, even the babbling schizophrenics

lmao what services? you think the amerikkkan gubbermint gives a shit about all those people and actively helps them?

major cities usually very quickly hook the mentally ill with services (if they seek them)

sf is full of a lot of junkies who move to sf because they explicitly know the police won't bother them as they live a life of a junkie, but there is a very large contingent of genuinely mentally ill people wandering the streets of SF who they refuse to lock up

No they don't you nazi retard. Services have been slashed to the bone so once they run out of room they just bus them all back to LA.

sacbee.com/news/investigations/nevada-patient-busing/article2577189.html

Since July 2008, Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital in Las Vegas has transported more than 1,500 patients to other cities via Greyhound bus, sending at least one person to every state in the continental United States, according to a Bee review of bus receipts kept by Nevada's mental health division.

About a third of those patients were dispatched to California, including more than 200 to Los Angeles County, about 70 to San Diego County and 19 to the city of Sacramento.

In recent years, as Nevada has slashed funding for mental health services, the number of mentally ill patients being bused out of southern Nevada has steadily risen, growing 66 percent from 2009 to 2012. During that same period, the hospital has dispersed those patients to an ever-increasing number of states.

enjoy your low tax mentally ill country famalam. it's what you voted for.

L I B E R A L S
I
B
E
R
A
L
S

whatever, chucklefuck

Tell me how much mental health funding donald drumpf secured to address this problem retard?

usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-02-15/budget-undercuts-trump-focus-on-mental-health-school-safety

Like I said enjoy your low tax mentally ill country where cities literally ship their schizophrenics to other parts of the country including LA because they can't help them.

i'll repeat myself schizophrenics get housing in major cities very quickly, the majority of homeless in sf are just junkies exploiting a junkie friendly city

Now I've seen everything.

Are you retarded?

The city's Attorney General, Police Chief, and the voters who vote for them. The AG doesn't prosecute homeless people so the cops are told not to waste their time with them. End of story. However, one quickly notices there are places where homeless people are not allowed. 66% of San Francisco is zoned for exclusively single-family detached housing and there is a 40' citywide height limit (except in downtown). BART and Muni have major homeless problems and "youth mob" attacks while the ferries and commuter trains do not.

Why does this situation exist? Money of course. Homeowners in all seven Bay Area counties (and CA as a whole) want the rest of the world to fuck off. For example Marin County technically has a sanctuary law but their elected Sheriff turns illegal immigrants over to ICE anyway. BART trains can be delayed for hours if protesters show up, but people or homeless who block Amtrak trains get removed in 5-10 minutes max. More broadly the homeless exist because homeowners veto all new attempts at housing while they dismantled the asylums to keep their property taxes low.

This situation will persist, regardless who is Governor. Newsom is an SF homeowner and will work with Republicans to stop new housing, while Cox is a Republican who is also against housing. And thanks to the new top two system there are no alternatives. Same can be said of the state legislature, there is only one Democrat (Scott Wiener) intrested in zoning law deregulation but his proposal was shot down by his own party in committee.

Attached: zoning_bigmap_HeightBulk-702x547.jpg (2000x2066 73.83 KB, 228.01K)

House ownership in the US is fascist. Also this "crisis" is one of the most obvious signs of societal decay in the US.
Daily reminder that there are leftists, on this board no less, that think this shit country is worth saving.

It goes Homeowners > tech people/renters > everyone else > the homeless. Only the former group have any disposable income, so they make the decisions. At the local level it means bans against renting, duplexes and multi-unit dwellings through zoning laws to preserve their numbers, at the state level it causes the state's resources to be used to preserve their culture (no guns, no drugs, no alcohol, no bicycles, no RC planes, no industrial shops, no mixed zoning, no two story buildings) and at the Federal level it leads to Dianne Fienstien who herself is an SF homeowner.

It really is that simple. Homeowners have the power, and homeowners are all equal to one another. Renters are second class "citizens", everyone else is an afterthought that washes up in places homeowners don't use (BART, Muni, downtown SF).

truth

I wouldn't even go so far to make it a fight over affordable housing, because the entire notion of new housing at all is repulsive to these people. Homeowners will oppose a new 3-story condo like they'd oppose a 3-story subsidized/rent controlled housing complex. The biggest crime to these people is if one of them betrays them and breaks ranks to turn their house into a duplex, which is outright banned in most Bay Area cities. Even if a homeowner somehow manages to become a landlord (say by doing section 8 housing), tenants and the landlord must strictly obey a whole host of stupid restrictions (no smoking, no shared mailboxes, no parties over 10 people, no businesses) that they get fined for if they are noncompliant. neighbors are giddy if they are able to report their neighbors to the police for drinking on their front porch, having music on their front porch, or moving a weapon into their vehicle.

It is complete insanity and it exists because homeowners absolutely hate change and do not want anything to change. This is why all the new housing developments in the central valley are gated communities, because in those places rental units are usually completely banned (or put in special designated houses near the front gate so nobody else has to deal with it). Two such examples of when they venture out of their suburban paradise:

sacbee.com/news/state/california/article213756039.html

huffingtonpost.com/entry/woman-calls-police-oakland-barbecue_us_5af50125e4b00d7e4c18f741

This is what pure capitalism is.

Attached: 2874609508_a8c87cc90b_b.jpg (1024x768, 459.18K)

The only good thing about the Bay area is it rappers.
The rest are just gentrified over expensive trash filled with social fascist liberals and fake woke hipsters.

Attached: images (5).jpg (280x300 13.53 KB, 10.54K)

And also the Black Panthers(Oakland) are good as well

Attached: -4-panthers-on-parade-at-free-huey-rally-in-defermery-park-oakland-july-28-1968.-photo-courtesy-of-stephen-shames._wide-c2a3c0470820d318da280cf6614412a295d6bbda-s800-c85.jpg (800x450, 90.35K)

I agree, it is truly baffling. Who could be behind all this nonsense?

Attached: 42357.png (255x251, 6.49K)

For the most part, new "affordable" housing is unnecessary - the primary reason housing is so expensive is massive nationwide inflation caused by land speculation. There are pretty much already enough houses and spaces for everybody.

This picture I attached is pretty accurate. I live 30 minutes north of San Francisco and have been a bay area resident all my life. San Francisco has been in a steep decline since the late1990's and has accelerated at breakneck speed in the last decade. There have always been crazies on the streets to one degree or another but now It has also turned into a junkie paradise. The weather is pretty mild. The City gives out 400,000 needles a year with no real incentive to bring them back, hence needles everywhere. What do we know about jonesing for your next fix? You crap yourself when you go into withdrawal, hence poop everywhere. The police don't enforce the laws. The housing problem… Let's face it… It's a peninsula and was full a long time ago. There's no place to go but up and there are laws against that, not to mention it's earthquake county and not the best idea. A lot of old buildings in CA have historical status and cannot be torn down. I live in a town full of rotting 100 plus-year-old, collapsing chicken coups that can't be removed from your property because they are deemed historical. I will say that when the tech crowd decided to move into San Francisco with fists full of cash they drove the real estate markets through the roof. I live in a 920 sq ft townhouse(crappy crackerbox) that is now worth just shy of 600K. I couldn't afford to buy it now if I wanted to. My mortgage is less than rent for a one bedroom apt in our town.

Attached: 38027360_1931687356869893_9209340679346454528_n.jpg (720x960, 111.99K)

Why have you not left that place yet? This is not a life.

Attached: 24b89ce580c97aa352bfbdb35f4108f3dce55ecd68920a06a224fb7fb50960ce.jpg (680x793, 40.68K)

I don't get it. Is that a good or a bad thing for him, that the mortgage is such