Pynchon

Was he really a postmodernist, or was he a dialectical materialist or a structuralist? I know his books have some surreal satire, but most of it is actually a reference to real historical events, secret operations, and socioeconomic systems. His books are full of things that are "unknown" to the characters, but actually knowable to the reader if they do enough research. In contrast, postmodernism, like all idealism, posits that things are unknowable. Similarly, you get the sense of "relative truths" but not absolute relativism in his books.
So why is he called a postmodernist? Does he actually outright say it somewhere?

Attached: ThomasPynchon_press.jpg (488x488 46.71 KB, 40.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/cuttlefish_btc/status/700826096271396864
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Due to The Crying of Lot 49? It ends on the "unknowable".

Reminder that Thomas Pynchon was an antifascist counterespionage revolutionary using literature as his cover to infiltrate and expose fascist networks.
twitter.com/cuttlefish_btc/status/700826096271396864

Even if he was a fascist he'd still be a good writer. So post like yours are irrelevant

How is Crying about the "unknowable" when it's about a secret network run by human beings (who obviously must know it)?

Why are you talking about him in the last tense when he’s still alive and published another book last year?

Pynchon isn't really a postmodernist he's just a really cynical Lefty who fell for the "bro the soviet union is just state capitalism xDDDD" meme that a lot of hippie anarchists spouted at the time and never really recovered

It ends on the moment of revelation. What and whether there is any sort of secret network in actuality remains unclear insofar as the text is concerned. It's been a number of years since I've read it, so I could be wrong.

Lazy academics.

Sorta this. He's a conservative anarchist.

I think he's seen as a "postmodernist" more as a kind of literary genre or style, not in regards to the beliefs he happens to hold.

Sure, but diamat has no problem with relative perceptions, it just asserts that there is objective reality regardless.

You can't be a "postmodernist". Postmodernity is a condition not an ideology.

You mean a guy who actually read Marx and other theorists and realized the USSR is just state capitalism

>>>Zig Forums

Attached: referendum.jpg (1400x1120, 207.16K)

You can choose to define it like that, but the word also happens to be used for some literary and artistic currents.

wait so you just agreed state capitalism was a necessary transitional measure, but you still consider the revolution to be failed despite all the advances made in the USSR? What would be your idea of a succesful revolution then?

please don't

Yes true "leftists" indeed

Come on now, my man.

Attached: leftypol downfall.png (800x400, 303.38K)

I'm sure aspies like you will lead us to communism

Attached: cringe.jpg (1440x1033, 246.73K)

Some of us would like a good place to organize online without being disrupted by constant censorship, nothing to do with board 'culture'
actually I lectured that dumbass who claimed the russian revolution failed, work on reading comprehension.

Then fella do I have the place for you!
>>>Zig Forums

All joking aside it's cringey as shit that you actually imply that Zig Forums is good for "organizing" or doing anything useful literally at all. This board mostly unironically supported Bernie Fucking Sanders and then after that Trump for "le accelerationism xDDDD" if you think there's anything beyond stupidity memes and shitposting to be found here you're just as retarded as the anons who think Corbyn will gulag blairites on day 1 of his glorious entryist revolution

I pity you, user

stop derailing, we have a good discussion going