US preparing sanctions against SKorea

figured this was worth a thread
toyokeizai.net/articles/-/235272

After last week, it would be easy to believe that Washington’s North Korea policy is in a state of chaos. Beneath the disarray, however, a certain order could be found. Based on conversations held this past week in Washington with senior administration officials, including two members of the North Korea negotiating team, as well as former national security officials who are consulted by Secretary Pompeo and the National Security Council, a broad consensus emerges. Interestingly, it is almost completely in sync with the views held by senior Japanese officials.
The foundation of this consensus is a profoundly skeptical view of the possibility of achieving “final, fully verified denuclearization of North Korea,” the goal reiterated by new special envoy Steve Biegun. While there were some differences concerning exactly what might be achieved in the talks with Pyongyang, not a single official dealing with North Korea said he believes this ultimate aim is reachable.

The second pillar of consensus is a deep concern that the South Korean government of Moon Jae-in, which has driven the opening to North Korea, is no longer bound by the need to move in tight coordination with Washington. Some even fear the alliance itself may be in jeopardy. Inside the national security bureaucracy, there is growing alarm over relations with South Korea. On the surface, President Moon and his government continue to support U.S. diplomacy and reinforce its messages to Pyongyang. But things are starting to shift, with Seoul telling administration officials that the nuclear issue is basically between the U.S. and North Korea and that they want to separate their engagement with the North from progress on that issue.

“We have a big problem coming with South Korea,” a senior official involved in the talks told me. “It has reached the point where the South Koreans are determined to press ahead. They no longer feel the need to act in parallel with us.”
Moon is planning a visit next month to Pyongyang. He is eager to proceed with projects such as rail and pipe lines that will run from South, through the North, to Russia and China, as he outlined in a recent address.

Some officials warn that the U.S. is prepared to sanction South Korea if it proceeds. They believe Moon will not risk the domestic political cost of showing a visible gap with the U.S., particularly as his popular support is starting to soften. But others worry that a tough response may just deepen the split.

and for humor

Attached: laughing man.jpg (968x726, 89.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Si4jlacXDDU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: japan.gif (290x163, 1.98M)

Given the context of Chistmas in Japan I whole heartedly agree.

Burgers are upset that they are losing hold of their puppet.

Basically, I wonder if they are going to stage another coup in there.

this would just leave at most 1/4th of the peninsula being pro-american, the other side of the coup would maintain closer relations with noko and it'd just push the USA out of korea for good. a coup would not be a good idea for america.

this is the power of 4D juchess

Explain?

Really shitty video of a youtuber I used to watch. Gives you a general idea of what Christmas is in ramenland. m.youtube.com/watch?v=Si4jlacXDDU

TL.;DW? This is too cringey

I hope Moon can pull it off and survive.

Fuck, I'm retarded, nevermind.

What?

Just disregard that video, it says nothing. I suck dicks.

Christmas Eve in Japan is treated sort of like Valentines day for couples. There is more to it Christmas over there, but it isn't quite like the west.

I hope that user who mentioned how the US now has to strongarm former client states to get what it wants is right.

when has that ever stopped burgerland?

Based Moon might strike a blow to the US AND help Juche thought

SOUTH KOREA LIFTS ALL SANCTIONS ON NORTH KOREA, DECLARES WAR ON JAPAN

agreed, you should feel bad for posting it, what the fuck

so, when do you reckon will they kill Moon?

I just nutted my pants. Don't ever do it again.

NORTH AND SOUTH KOREA UNITE, DECLARE WAR ON AMERICA

JAPAN SURRENDERS TO SOUTH KOREA BEFORE BLOOD IS SPILLED, SHINZO ABE SAYS TO MOON JAE-IN AND KIM JONG-UN - "WE WILL FULLY COMMIT OURSELVES AND OUR COUNTRY TO REMOVING THE IMPERIALISTS FROM ASIA IN RETURN FOR PEACE WITH THE KOREAN PENINSULA" - NEW FACTION CREATED, "THE GREATER EAST-ASIAN COMMUNIST PROTECTORATE" BETWEEN JAPAN AND UNITED KOREA

Attached: 1325379833395.jpg (1998x1500, 400.64K)

wtf is wrong with asians?

Attached: mao.jpg (216x234, 10.17K)

cute drawings, fuck Japanese imperialism

their government is corrupt as shit and everything they are exposed to is propaganda
nothing