Junk Food Tax

About a while ago I watched a video made by the YouTube channel Vox. The video was called "Why eating healthy is so expensive in America", they had a graph using cigarettes, in which it showed that the higher the cigarette prices, the lower the cigarette smoking.
youtube.com/watch?v=HOE5QDDKDlY
I saw a thread where comrades were screaming at each other after someone said that med4all is useless because his tax money would go to the medical bills of people who are complete fat-asses (the guy who made the tread even used a picture of a fat-ass).
8ch.net/leftypol/res/2631184.html Because of the number of obese Americans, do you think junk food taxes will work?

The drawing of Max Stirner is unrelated, I just chose him because looks like someone who would questions.

Attached: 736px-MaxStirner2.svg.png (736x724, 46.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqOm_EVR_g
youtube.com/watch?v=KJEETweYMyI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they'd never be passed, food lobby would crush it without effort

Look more like someone who wants to act smug as fuck

McDonalds did great during the recession because those Big Macs have all the carbs you need.

The people who do roofing and etc eat doughnuts, pizzas, and shit like that. This would hurt them. Take a look at traditional food. The reason they were so full of lard and etc was because people worked hard and they needed all that shit.

Shit like salads and etc are really only for the people who aren't doing crazy ass shit like that.

Americans love sin taxes and love regressive taxation in general. Here in Seattle the liberal "professionals" (i.e. closet fascists) got one passed and have so far loved it. Makes themselves feel superior while also staving off the need for a state income tax in addition to shifting even more of the burden of taxation onto the poor. Fuck these people and fuck this state.

Attached: 11f977aa6d6ecb8ecc8c4e5d4c44ad5fb7278ec9e441dd1cb49e9e14d3b0aae1.png (365x366, 165.57K)

99.99% you are a tranny. Post your girldick.

It's not the 90s anymore. Seattle has become so fucking boring and culture-less thanks to Amazon and all these non-Microshit tech companies that there is almost no reason to live here unless you have a fancy developer career. Oh yeah and don't bother with this shithole if you are just starting out either. They only hire experienced devs because reasons, even for entry levels gigs. A lot of code bootcamps got run out of town because of this. Very little demand for hot shot "code ninjas" or whatever.

Would prefer a at tax we really have an obesity problem and that would definitely help cut down

they can buy potatoes for a lot cheaper

It's a bad idea because Americans are superstitious about food. Ask an American health nut and they'll tell you rice, potatoes, bread, eggs, meat, etc. etc. are all unhealthy and going to kill you/make you obese. It's retarded, they'd tax bean burritos from Taco Bell.

First thing Americans need is education on calorie and protein counting. Then walkable cities. Then provide them with actual good food, cooking classes (and free time to cook), and communal kitchens or community restaurants. Then get rid of the fucking advertising. Then you can consider a tax on actual bad food like soda and alcohol. Just make the total tax rate equal to the rate of health expenditure the food/drug causes.

It might discourage eating those things, but it would also disproportionately hit people with less money. About the only actually positive excise tax based around health really is cigarette taxation - the damage of cigarettes completely outweighs the dubious benefit. It's tougher to say that definitively with regards to something that provides calories and doesn't do that kind of extreme permanent damage.

Absolutely these things. America's sprawl is a disaster. Outright hostile to walking, and a lot of America is hostile to transit too - like the bus service on my street just cut off, so I'd have to walk about a half hour in one or another way in order to connect, now. One of those ways is largely unpaved, and it's a reasonably busy road. Further on, there are crosswalk buttons grown over with yucca plants - can that even be an accident?

Time for some nightmare fuel to keep you awake at night user
Most of the health and social security costs a person puts on the puts on the public purse come from lingering on increasingly frail in old age and a lionshare of many a nation's budget funds these things for the geriatric population over anything else, even military spending sometimes even to the point of being the majority of the budget
Smoking being particularly unhealthy means that smokers die a lot younger
**About 10 years earlier by the stats
Those cigarette taxes are actually funding those who selfishly live on, from the pockets of those who selflessly commit early euthanasia by installment**

Sweet dreams

start by not subsidizing corn syrup, before we talk about taxes

That would mean not subsidizing corn farms, which have zero profit and are only profitable because of Gov bucks

lets just centrally plan corn production who needs profits,

An american friend told me that you can get a big ass meal for like 3-4 bucks. Here where i live you can get a big meal for 7-8 euros so it's no wonder they would rather eat junk food for those prices.

Bullshit. We should instead force companies to put clear indications on their shitty products that they'll fuck your shit up. It'll do a lot more to remind unhealthy poor people that they need to change their habits than an invisible tax.

In countries that aren't psychopathic, elderly people still contribute to society by raising grandkids and helping out in various other ways.

Not really, don't trust Americans.

Yeah a U.S. fast food meal would cost about the same. Prices are going up a bit it feels like. One of my favorite places though is a German-American barbecue place in my town where you can get a loaded BBQ sandwich with fries for like $5. That's cheap.

Fun fact is that American fast food is so cheesy because the U.S. government works with the big restaurant business associations to push more cheese into the American diet to support dairy farmers.

The three-cheese pizza you'll get from the pizza chains are a government creation.

Attached: cheese.jpg (880x440, 75.15K)

Now you're talking.

Attached: 6c479ee48c0b039ee371c95e87ed5445a43c88a103ee29cbbdf5669f0fda6a77.jpg (480x360, 22.66K)

I can get a entire pizza for 5 dollars, 5 freaking dollars. Never heard of a big meal for 3-4 dollars need proofs.
See

For more info.

Look up "government cheese". It's not even a meme or a conspiracy, the american government really promotes cheese.

No junk food shouldnt be taxed. Let people eat. Maybe people would be healthier if they didnt drive everywhere, have sedentary jobs where they work too much, have no free time due to said work, etc…
And even if i did agree for a junk tax, why would a Communist want this? Its a tiny, tiny change that would take huge flexing.

Any kind of enforced morality is doomed to failure, rather than eliminating a behavior prohibition or punitive taxation will drive it underground where people will engage in it with even greater intensity than they did when it was legal.

Look at the bootleggers that sprung up when America prohibited alcohol or the trade in "Chop chop" tobacco that has come into being in the wake of Australia's harsh Tobacco taxes.

The only way you can control peoples' consumption of junk food is to make eating healthy cheaper and easier and tastier than the junk food alternative, then the majority of people will choose the healthy option and the minority who persist in unhealthy eating would have eaten that way regardless of anything you might of done.

Attached: UaIcrdK.jpg (700x492, 66.45K)

only one of those lil Caesars pizzas though, or freezer pizza

a huge bootleg industry does not pop up for taxed items though. only in certain cases.

See the problem with that is that most western countries are doing the opposite. Males in the west tend to have mantits because they end up eating so much dairy because it is horrendously cheap (due to subsidies) and is a good source of protein, hormones be damned. Meanwhile nuts and beans are fucking expensive. God damn the west.

Attached: 1529467881919.jpg (327x400, 34.41K)

The Washington State constitution explicitly bans income tax. There's nothing the city can do about that. Literally half this entire state is funded on sales tax alone.

Yeah that's the fucking problem. The working class here is literally subsidizing the cancerous existence of suburban filth. I actually save money by buying a used shit car from ~1999 instead of a new shit car because I don't have to pay exorbitant registration fees. It's all regressive taxation here. Even SF isn't this bad. The only good thing is that there are a lot of nuclear subs that come through this area so that when America starts a war in the next 20 years or so Washington will be completely obliterated.

I'm not too familiar with American cities but I thought Seattle and SF were considered "progressive" and the people there would support at least succdem policies? I mean there would still be exploitation of the working class but this sounds counter to what people say about San Francisco, Seattle, and cities like those like Portland.

ha haa… you sweet summer child

I agree with user here,

I do want to add though while walkable cities are a HUGE boon, I also think the issue with fast food is the amount of options.

Seriously, in many small towns in the Midwest US, there isn't even a walmart or grocery store. They might have a dollar general, but really their only food options are fast food.

Ideally, I believe that fast food chains should be discouraged from opening up so many locations. Possibly have more small time restaurants and cafes be more healthy, accessible, and also make eating out more expensive in general.

Attached: tumblr_inline_p7nol2bqhR1r5ue64_540.png (540x530, 384.28K)

Agree

A youtuber by the name of Aydin Paladin also pointed out that people who have fat-ass friends are more likely to become a fat-ass.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqOm_EVR_g

POO IN LOO XD

Oh wait fuck that's San Francisco

But it should tell you something that the only famous thing about Seattle is that Taxi Driver was filmed there

just go to asian place and buy fried rice or noodles
6 € and you have leftovers for a second go
with peanut sauce and chicken for only 1 € more but it's all the more filling

btw i'm pretty some of americans obesity problem is depression and people just fill the void stuffing food down their throat

Attached: food.gif (450x397, 1.88M)

Yeah, I'm with

- wrt cigarettes I'm really more concerned about the damage it does to people than about the monetary health cost of it. If they die younger, then it's fewer able hands. If they don't die younger, then they still fuck up their bodies, which is bad, and then they reach old age in extra-shitty health.

They won't work because the wrong things will get taxed. Carbohydrate-based foods will remain cheap while fat-based foods will become more expensive.
Until humanity pulls its collective head out of its collective ass and starts to understand the causes of obesity, nothing can change.

>youtube.com/watch?v=KJEETweYMyI

Attached: 1349040807699.jpg (251x242, 33.35K)

lmao

Good video

Pick one

Where the fuck do you live in Europe? A meal costs 10€ here where I live. I mean you can get a Turkish kebap for 4 bucks, which is the best you can get for that price, but aren't we talking about restaurant food?

Most of eastern europe is cheap
For example here in Serbia, if we don't count the capital
You can mostly get a good meal for like 7-8eur
Or you can buy kebabs for like 1-2eur

I've only been to Hungary and Croatia and was surprised how the prices are pretty much the same like in Germany or France, except the wages are much lower. Never been to the small towns/countryside though.