Anti-Imperialist Cinema

What are some good movies about everyday people fighting capitalism or imperialism?

I'm a huge fan of Motorcycle Diaries and the Carlos miniseries. I'd love something focusing on American atrocities in Latin America or Asia.

Attached: Red Detatchment of Women.gif (500x375, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostern
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Act_of_Killing
youtu.be/YVuf3T3k-W0
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0nx70hAqjM
youtube.com/watch?v=HhyuWIgqoWI
youtube.com/watch?v=waEYQ46gH08&
youtube.com/watch?v=A4cH6g1wD5g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Green Room

When I was like 10 or so my mom made me watch Salvador (including the rape scene, like she fucking made me watch that.) Together with "Amistad" and "The Mission" it really soured me on the whole "western civilization" meme.

Attached: amistad34235.jpg (2550x3858 209.36 KB, 1.86M)

I should add that Amistad is still just liberal capitalist propaganda in the end. Courts under capitalism are a joke.

this nigga makes good prole pills

Good recs. Lib film professor of mine worked on Salvador lol

A bit ironic considering his current political views eh?

but the courts actually did rule in favour of the slaves, that part was factual,

Defiance
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Che
Pirates of the Caribbean

THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS

One of the best movies ever made

Used to do some good pills.

This. Absolutley.

Want to add
Soviet movie about an american absassador sabotaging crops
Best anti colonialist movie ever

I also want to add
South Korean movie about a korean village near an american base

Can't believe I've never heard of this. I know what I'm doing tonight. Thanks.

Have you seen Lion of the Desert?

Yes, It's an interesting view and it was also banned in my country until 2011. I can't think of another movie about the italian invasion of libya tbh.

Great pic what's some more movies like this?

Ultra-realist and woke? Does Vietnam produce interesting cinema?

Not him, but nothing else looks like The Battle of Algiers. That's why it's considered one of the best movies ever made.
No. They produce something like 4 movies a year in a good year, and even then it's mostly kungfu shit or genre pieces.

Sage for double post
Ok, maybe people tried to do something similar. First of them costa garvas with Z.

It's about the Indonesia mass killings of 1965–1966.

Attached: Year_of_living_dangerously.jpg (253x394, 20.61K)

This is a good place to start looking
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostern

Similar film
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Act_of_Killing

Thanks I did not know this one.
Also there's The New Rulers of the World by John Pilger, it's more about modern Indonesia and "neo-colonialism".

Not even joking.

Attached: Atlantis_The_Lost_Empire_poster.jpg (260x383, 18.26K)

Next you're going to say Chicken Run is the most Marxist-Leninist movie ever made.

Thank you for sharing it.

The Baader Meinhof Complex but as a cautionary tale. Should be required viewing for leftists about the dangers of a middle-class edgelord mentality. Basically "watch this, now don't do this."

Also has a lot in common with the alt-right these days IMO. Which makes sense since one of the RAF guys went Nazi in prison. Just indulging personal desires without any political program.

Attached: baader.jpg (354x500, 59.48K)

If anything this reminds me much of the current state of the left world wide (included this board).

any good leftist movies on the ira?

In a way I agree and there are some groups I won't name, but the RAF ended up going foco and got themselves killed / arrested / etc. That is happening on the alt-right in America to an extent.

I think you're being unfair to RAF. Sure, an organization like that attracts risk takers and I'm certain some of them where simply "indulging personal desires" but that is, first of all, not true and second of all, far from the biggest problem with RAF.
If you read some of their texts it's quite obvious that people like Meinhof, Baader and Meins where dedicated communists who led an organsation that for a long time had quite broad public support. Their biggest problem was probably that they didn't have a political party or movement that could support and protect them from the state.

Plenty.
Badass 80's gangster movie. It describes england during those years better than anything else. Ira, corruption and neoliberalism.
This not concerned too much with the actual politics, but it's too much of a good movie to just ignore. The greatest cinematic debut since citizen kane imho. It's from the same guy of 12 years slave (which is the stupid version of this movie). Talks about bobby sands hunger strike.
Greatest british noir ever, class 1947 and polanski favorite movie
Daniel day lewis is in it. Worth only for that.
Want to see what belfast looked like at the time? Watch this movie
Paul Greengrass movie (if you ever seen the bourne you already know what it looks like) it's about what the title says it's about.

a japanese movie about a shrimp-fishing vessel during the russo-japanese war where the crew decides to rise up and kill their captain
based on Fanon's The Wretched of the earth and tells the story of western imperialism during the 20th century using archival footage
It's an Italian Movie about the resistance against nazi occupation in 1944
It's a classic - A roman slave organizes a rebellion against his and his fellow slaves masters

Add paisa and berlin year zero to rome open city

oh i haven't seen them

thanks man

Watch them. They are a trilogy by the same director. He made lots of movie about italy fucked up by war and fascism. Watch La Ciociara (don't know the english title) if you have strong guts. It about women who got "marocchinate" (literally means Moroccoed in italian, the blacked version of war rape) and show how even the "liberators" were a bunch of fucking animals. The true liberator of italy was the resistance that fighted for communism.

Why the fuck aren't there more documentaries like this?

That half-baked, rambling "Hypernormalization" made a huge splash. Why not something similar and more coherent?

bump

youtu.be/YVuf3T3k-W0

Good pic

youtube.com/watch?v=Z0nx70hAqjM

Uphold Marxism-Leninism-Rockyism Thought!

does rocky have a Marxist subtext?

80s films tend to super reactionary or vaguely woke in a subtle way, look at Predator

Come and See

Don't forget the wind that shakes the barley

This
One of the few war movies to ever turn my stomach

An Irish documentary on the IRA with interviews of civilians and insurrectionists.
youtube.com/watch?v=HhyuWIgqoWI
A Serbian documentary about NATO's involvement in the Breakup of Yugoslavia, from the death of Tito to the independence of Kosovo
youtube.com/watch?v=waEYQ46gH08&

Bertolucci's best film - amazing story, not heavy with politics, but a huge story of he last Emperor of China, 1920-1960's,
youtube.com/watch?v=A4cH6g1wD5g