What are some good sources on how life in the gulags actually was (first hand accounts are appreciated)...

What are some good sources on how life in the gulags actually was (first hand accounts are appreciated)? What are the best sources for hard statistics and day plans?

Attached: 72e66c122c58324b5fcbc9d48872b3ebad084295.jpg (606x339, 38.67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

espressostalinist.com/the-real-stalin-series/gulag/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

haven't looked at all of it but
espressostalinist.com/the-real-stalin-series/gulag/
cites a lot of investigative journalists.

im not a leftist but waste time on trying to rehabilitate the gulag instead of talking about how the Soviet union provided jobs as a human right a long with free housing healthcare and education like why do this to yourself

you people are all just weirdo Bohemian larpers who don't want to actually win which is good for me I guess

because then you have crazy psychologist LARPers like Peterson floating around getting taken seriously for diagnosing all commies as some kind of dark monolith that's controlled by the devil

Because whenever you bring up the free housing, healthcare, or education, the literal first response is always "muh gulags" or "muh gorillions". And the thing is, people will take that as a sufficient enough argument in the west.

Gulags were prison camps my dude, not that great. They weren’t just shooting people at the door, but it wasn’t a fun place to be.

from what i've read there was lots of rape, and women trading sex to guards for favors

I was actually looking through some of these threads to try to find information about the gulags. I remember reading something about there being vacations? and people voluntarily came back? It was a long post, and I can't remember where it was, but I'd like to read up on some of the facts and know which ones were falsified.

I understand that it of course wasn't, as Shaw described it in his visit, "a kind of luxury vacation spa", but from what I understand and from the few direct sources I've been able to get people were still afforded breaks, paid a wage only moderately lower then what they would be paid outside, were provided a two week vacation each year, had mandatory literacy education, and had an average sentence of 5 to 10 years. They're of course still labour camps, but an account that isn't Solzhenitsyn fiction would be nice. More hard data would be good to.

It's common knowledge that Gulag conditions were shit, but fairly typical, pretty much what you'd expect from prison at the time and place, regardless of the communist government. Personal accounts from the likes of Solzhenitsyn have long been known to be sophistic bullshit.

Sounds like complete bullshit without some primary sources

I can't say I remember the post, however:

You listed two facts:
Vacations are mentioned in regulations and decrees issued by Soviet government (IIRC, the earliest mentions were in decrees of All-Russian Central Executive Committee in 1921).

"Exact" primary sources: Correctional Labour Codex of RSFSR issued in 1970 states that prisoners "have the right to yearly paid vacation of 12 workdays with or without leaving the corrective facility. Rights to leaving corrective facility are regulated according to articles 26.1, 62, 64, 75, 76 of present Codex." (article 38, Conditions of labour for prisoners). Similar articles exist in other codices (ex. 1933 version explicitly mentions that vacations can extend up to three months for peasants).

As for the statistics on how many got permission to roam free and how many came back, they are harder to come by. I think I've read somewhere about ~15% of prisoners getting permission to leave in late 1920s.

Of the stuff I could track down on short notice is one of the articles of Soviet Justice Weekly (1927, issue 24, pages 734-736) where some hard numbers are presented for peasants getting 3-month leave (as per decree of ARCEC issued in 1925, April 21), which suggest ~5% fail rate:
- 4.24% (617 out of 14,559) released in 1925 did not return.
- 0.7% of released in 1925 and 1926 were returned before the end of their leave due to requests by local population and law enforcement.

There is also number of requests for leave that were accepted (61.6% and 40.5% in 1925 and 1926) with permission rates for some crimes in 1925 and 1926:
- 38.7% | 16.1% - horse theft
- 47.8% | 23.9% - financial crimes
- 47.8% | 58.1% - military crimes
- 57.9% | 70.0% - health-related crimes and disturbance of social order
- 66.7% | 44.4% - murders (total: 20.4% of those released in 1925 and 1926)

NB: article argues that attitude is overly permissive.

Well, I presented some. I'm fairly certain that you'll find more if you browse issues of Soviet Studies or - if you can handle Russian - Soviet periodicals like Soviet Justice Weekly (Ezhenedel’nik Sovetskoi Iustitsii), The Power of the Soviets (Vlast' sovetov), or Administrative Herald (Administrativnyi vestnik).

Attached: cookie.png (600x655, 412.16K)

Gulags actually weren't invented by Stalin but brought back. They first existed in Tzarist Russia. They exist in Putin's Russia today too.

T. Ismail

don’t know where you “people” get the idea that your ideological fallacies will work here.

Tbh if you want good statistics on most things use Volkogonov: his research and access to materials are unrivaled by perhaps anyone in Kremlinology history.
Also tbh, the gulags weren't rehabilitative, they weren't designed to be inherently punitive either: but instead restorative. The entire mentality of criminal punishment in the USSR was that every offence was an offence against the state/party/cause of marxism-leninism. As such for your crime (regardless if it was murder, article 40, or stealing a horse) you had to repay the state. This is why gulag inmates built infrastructure instead of being kept in educational facilities or such.

Ignore this dogshite, it gets basic facts wrong: for example claiming the longest sentences were 10 years (the longest were 25 introduced from 1941 onwards [although no-one would serve them since the Gulags were dissolved in 1953 and article 40 prisoners could only serve 5 more years if that]).

действительно заставляет задуматься

I mean, he's not wrong. You faggots have long been controlled by the specter of state power. You, or more likely your intellectual ancestors, were so into it you were defending the Soviet global deep into the 1980s when it had become clear that they'd devolved into these grotesque institutions.

Найс гугль транспорт.

Транслайт* пиздец.

Because then you get to say "look at the good economic stuffs" and then they go "but what about the gulags" and you say "gulags? Surely you mean educational 5 year summer camps, and anyway, the US has more people in prison per head of capita and in sheer numbers now than the soviet union ever did"

We defend it cause it was STILL better than what came after.

Attached: Soviet_Union_GDP_per_capita.gif (952x565, 37.82K)

and better than the US.
freeze peach doesn't matter when you're living in debt slavery.