What's your opinion of H. P. Lovecraft, comrades?

What's your opinion of H. P. Lovecraft, comrades?

Attached: 220px-H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (220x270, 13.09K)

I've listened to the audiobook of The Call of Cthulhu, tried to start another two of At the Mountains of Madness and that one where the guy goes to the fish people town but never finished them. I think as a writer he was average, but had interesting concepts.

I love his work, he does have a somewhat bleak view of humanity which I find much easier to have now days than in his time

The Cthulu Mythos is just Posadism with monstrous abominations instead of nukes.

I imagine the general outlook from this lot would be:
I personally am bored by his writing, couldn't say why.

He was a racist

His books get a lot more interesting when you realize he's just telling you how he sees other ethnicities.

Niggerman the cat

Do you think he was racist because he was afraid of the unknown, or he was afraid of the unknown because he was racist?

“Concerning Ireland, I would ask…what he means by ‘rights’. What ‘right’ exists on earth, save that of strength? If the Irish had the ‘right’ to independence they would possess it. If they ever gain it, they will possess it – until they lose it again. England has the right to rule because she does… It is not chance, but racial superiority, which has made the Briton supreme. Why have not the Irish conquered and colonized the earth if they be so deserving of regard? They are brainless canaille. Galpin asks why he should worry how hard a time the powers of Europe have. I will answer, because their overthrow would mean the overthrow of art, science, literature, and civilization.”

Attached: happy mick.png (501x677, 19.84K)

Probably the latter

Who says it was the unknown? Ethnicity weren't "unknown" even back then

Not so much their ethnicity as much as the fact that they looked different from him. I mean it was probably more complicated than that, he had mental illnesses and had a shitty life in general.

I mean even today the cultures of foreigners are misunderstood, whether it's because of not wanting to learn or being unable to understand their culture.

What was suddenly realized immediately after realizing they looked different was that their society was extremely primitive to that of Europeans

In what ways does Lovecraft "misunderstand" anyone?

He saw Africans as all tribal etc, y'know the common old racist shtick. You could say misunderstanding is a bit of a soft word for his disdain for the "lesser peoples" though, so my bad on that.

reactionary twat

Most of sub sahara africa today is still very tribal and it was definitely more so in 1920 (when Lovecraft was age 30)

Calling a tribal people tribal isn't "common old racist shtick"

if someone posts bait in this thread just give em this shit

Attached: 298.png (583x583, 127.17K)

Yes this is true, tribal was the wrong word to use. He just saw them as "lesser" because of their inferior culture. He didn't want to understand their culture, doing such would acknowledge their humanity. In this way "the unknown" to Lovecraft was foreignness.

Of course I know about his views on minorities and so on but same as with Robert E Howard, I just like his stuff way too much to really care.

There is no over all "inferior" groups of people excel at things where others do not and vice versa.

He saw Africans as "in between beast and man" because sub saharan africans were much more primitive than Europe. This is true even today Africa is the least developed continent in the world.

How is this a misunderstanding? This is an objective assessment of African technological development

People like to base him on his early writings in his 20s rather then those later towards the end of his life.
His views on race tempered over time as well
He was still incredibly chauvinistic and held strict racial prejudices, but by the end they had more or less fallen in line with the popular opinion of the time.

Racism is about why these material differences exist, and at least in his early life Lovecraft explicitly viewed blacks as being literal unevolved subhumans. Like pointed out his racial views softened later on, but before that, they were considered harshly prejudiced even by the standards of his time.
It isn't true that his work wasn't just racial allegories though. If anything his hate boner for science and enlightenment was far more questionable than his ethnic spooks.

His hate boner for science and enlightenment completely redeem his ethnic spooks tbh

Not that guy but ehh, maybe during and after the colonialist period of Africa but not before it. Africa mainly lacked technological delvelopment before then because the material conditions of Africa make that kind of difficult because agriculture is difficult to do in most places. Lots of raw materials, not a lot of continually re-farmable arable land and native crops. The African kingdoms got as big as they did because they engaged in the slave trade, not in spite of it. The greatest amount of damage to African development occurred during colonialism when outside, mostly western, powers decided to bypass this whole affair, settle bases of operations in those lands, and just take both materials and slaves.
Note I'm talking about the continent here, not race or anything.

Did he ever explain WHY they happened to be that way? I don't think he did and he wasn't a Marxist by any means. But I'm sure that he'd come to the same materialist conclusion we can to explain Africa.

The material conditions of sub saharan africa naturally selected for traits such as out running the lion rather than intelligence.

The horror genre is reactionary on principal. It contains both elements of the fear of the unknown and the idea of losing control. A liberal on the other hand would want to be the monster and see it as some sort of cool super power, or try to understand the monster. Diluting what is horror.
Vampires arent supposed to be sexy. They should be Nosferatu rat creatures who suck your blood.

Lovecraft wasnt really well known in his era. His stories only became more well known later after he died. The concept of some sort of ancient unknown thing that drives you insane is of course interesting when it comes to horror.
He also wrote a really dumb story about a haunted air conditioner

Wtf this is actually incredibly based and redpilled. Was not expecting this

I'm a fan

Attached: 63cb7080-fc81-41d0-b723-8fd2b82e25c7.jpg (651x860, 421.54K)

Uncle Howard was based and redpilled. All his books should be mandatory reading in school.

Attached: 11b18a00066f507bff51cbe506407955f8edcbef0ac91548cf00f25acda257b0.jpg (587x742, 132.89K)

Pretty cool guy

Attached: Migo.jpg (464x663, 115.46K)