Tactical Scenarios

In this thread we take tactical scenarios from movies, tv-shows, books, history, or our own imaginations and try to figure out the best way to approach them.
To start here is a scene from Elysium.

Attached: Chemrail.webm (1000x1000 1.81 MB, 148.33K)

first not waste my ammo just shooting at nothing
keep aiming at enemy, shoot if he tries to move
call for backup

if no backup, I know the enemy has no weapon, so advance on right side of cover to cover the weapon wall so he cannot get to it, then eliminate him
If to weapon wall, he will be dead
If to other side of cover, just go around quickly to surprise him, but keep distance so I have reaction time so he cannot grab me

easy

Attached: b408373061721447adfc837b58361479e26a5401d09e710ffebc292f71074ca6.png (1000x1000 133.63 KB, 134.02K)

dumb

Attached: a.png (1000x1000, 137.89K)

You're the guy in the trench coat and you want to rob this store. You are armed with a .25 caliber pistol.
You can give the nog a task aswell, he also is armed.

Shoot the Nog for existing then kill myself for being a faggot.

Reevaluate my life if it has come to the point where I need to rob a jewelry store. Alternately just shoot the guy from out of arms reach while he's looking down.
Criminals aren't all together too bright and they treat a gun like a magic wand of intimidation. Because the gun exists to intimidate, not to kill from a distance, they bring it as close to the target as they can.

1. Pull gun while the shopkeeper is crouched down with his whole damn arm in the cabinet getting out jewelry
2. Pistol whip shopkeeper to the ground
3. Loot store
4. ????
5. shoot partner, keep all profit

I can't tell on the video, but did the robber even fire a shot? How that shopkeeper didn't get perforated at that range is beyond me.

I make the nog my pointman. I tell him to pull his weapon first on the jeweller. I then shoot the nog, thus making me the hero and trustworthy to the big nosed diamond merchant. I tell the jeweller to go out the back and get the video of CCTV footage, explaining to him that it will be needed by the cops and my lawyers. He does this while I ring the cops for him, as a good citizen does. He comes back. I tell him to wait out the front for the cops, and I will wait on the ground because I am armed and I don't want to scare the cops. I then rip off my trench coat. Underneath, I'm in a gucci dress. I quickly put cosmetic make up on, and then adorn myself with millions of dollars in fantastic gold trinkets, necklaces, and shiny rocks walking out of the shop dressed like a drag queen. The cops, having recently had a civil law suit against them by three other "drag queens" (my partners in crime and pre-robbery demoralization operation), let me freely walk by not wanting any more trouble from lawsuits and the media. I then sell the diamonds on a TOR dark market under the name diamond_diva_2000.

Attached: Dwight_Schrute.jpg (485x556, 16.44K)

having done a robbery before i can tell you these guys are virgins. you dont just pull a gun and not use it when bitches dont listen. ideally you steal without using force at all so the cops dont target you as a priority.

Tell me more.

Attached: Not FBI.jpeg (1750x2500, 408.83K)

Why did he empty his mag for no reason? The only reason you'd shoot like that at a guy in cover is if he had a grenade or gun, and you were trying to keep his head down.

Otherwise you just sit there quietly and wait for the dumbass to reach for a gun.

That movie was extra realistic.

Shoot through the cover with my 7,62x51. You never specified the caliber of my rifle.

Lets move towards platoon/company size combat.
Let's start with an important real world example of a real location in Germany, a spot along the Fulda gap, leading straight towards a small (west)German town.

For anyone who wants to take a look at some more map data of the area, the coordinates are : 51°11'22.3"N 10°08'44.6"E
It's a relatively thin valley with a river running through it from east to west. The river is not very wide, but runs fast and deep most of the year.
The hills on both sides of the valley are covered in thick forests with few unpaved paths going through them. The hills on both sides are roughtly 50 meters taller than the bottom of the valley. They are quite steep. The trees are more than 90% tall evergreens without low branches.
The river does a bend through the valley, it starts out in the south east, goes north west, does it's turn and ends up in the south west of the valley. It comes very close to the northern hills. There are many smaller lakes between the river and the southern hills though. There is a paved road leaving from east to west along the southern hill.
The vegetation in the valley consists of many open wheat fields on the enemy side, and a lot of dense shrubbery and deciduous trees with long hanging branches around the lakes and along the main road.

The enemy force will most likely consist of a reinforced category A (1970) armoured company. Due to bad weather the enemy has no air support, but they do have a large amount of artillery at their disposal too.

Friendly forces are
2xinfantry platoon each with:
-standard infantry weaponry
-1xAT rocket launcher (reloadable, 6 shots in total, absolute max range 600m)
-1xMG 7.62mm (absolute max range 800m)
-overall manpower of 42 men
1xheavy weapon platoon with:
-3xMG 7.62mm
-4xAT rocket launchers (reloadable, 12 shots total)
-overall manpower of 42 men
1xLeopard 2A1 MBT
No direct fire air support is available due to bad weather (no BRRRRT). Only air support available will unguided bombs dropped from high altitude with at least 30 seconds from release to impact (plus the time it takes for the pilot to punch in coordinates and actually perform the attack).

The weather is rainy, very low hanging cloud ceiling (barely 50m above the hills to both sides), but warm (25°C) and very humid. It is expected to be a very foggy morning the next day. Weather reports for any time after that are vague. Wind speeds at high and low altitude are negligible.

Where would you place your troops? Where do you think the enemy would attack? Would you order your troops to build fortifications out of the trees and risk the enemy seeing your forces from afar (and engage them using their artillery), or would you tell them to conceal their positions as much as possible and wait for the enemy to come closer? You can always put recon positions further towards the east if you like to, but that runs the risk of them getting discovered and potentially interrogated.

Attached: mapA.png (1226x717, 426.5K)

Split platoons into 7 squads. One squad builds dummy fortification north side of river, on treeline. One on south side of river, builds dummy fortification. Both fall back to the north side of the river, where the blue line meets the forest, the southern team takes the long route. They commandeer civilian clothes and a logging truck and man the MG. They pretend to be civilians and use the truck to transport the MG in range if needed. Order to fire and retreat in forest.

3 squads take company supply of anti-personnel mines, which are standard in my army and sets up a mine field between the northern dummy fort and the river. They then fall back and hide in the vegetation near the paved road, dispersed, ordered to fire and retreat, falling back through vegetation.

Team rocket commandeers a turnip wagon, civilian clothes and cute farmgirl. They travel along the paved road and pretend to be itinerant Romanians that stole a turnip wagon and kidnapped a cute farmgirl. If they make contact, they are ordered to loudly argue over who gets to rape the farmgirl first, blocking the road as they do so. They allow the enemy to pass, then the rocketman springs out from under the turnips and shoots them in the rear. They disperse and retreat immediately, using the farmgirl as cover.

Company commander greases up his power armor to protect it from the weather. Flies over enemy position with his jetpack using a sustained burst. Then bunny-hops through wheat fields to conserve fuel. Uses open channel to give out enemy position updates while accusing them of war crimes. Will engage enemy in melee if the opportunity presents itself.

Questions:
Unless I've misunderstood some things, I'm not entirely optimistic about holding over a dozen tanks off with one of my own and a couple dozen RPGs.

Attached: adfsbffdbfd.jpg (1815x921, 686.11K)

Mid 80s to very early 90s.
It's probably 12-13 tanks with some motorized/mechanized infantry to boot.
You are a speed bump stopping foce, meant to slow down the enemy for as long as possible to
1) allow civillians to evacuate the town a few kilometers further west.
2) allow troops behind you to reach/set up their own fortifications.
3) allow friendly units to sabotage infrastructure and set up mines.
You are not meant to survive this, no relief will arrive. This is the Fulda Gap situation we are talking about.
Keep in mind, that you can deploy your units anywhere on your side of the border. While it is not certain when the enemy will attack, it would probably be best to push some elements further east towards the border to act as recon and maybe as staybehind force to attack the enemy's back once they have gone past.
The heavy rain also means that tanks will have a very hard time moving through the steep and forested hills.

Aircraft could theoretically come down to 10.000ft and lower, but the enemy has set up ZSUs and short range radar guided missile systems on their side of the border fence. Friendly air forces would much rather not risk an aircraft on the first day of combat, especially not when a hit can not be guaranteed due to the low cloud cover.

Resources of the town? Fuel, fertilizer, vehicles, grumpy Fudds with shotguns.

Did a quick half-assed job on it. Basically deploy all the troops on these mountains. Light infantry squads should be tasked with boobbbytrapping every accessible path on the mountain that may lead to their position or flanks. After they're done with that they should go full-guerilla mode and annoy enemy forces until they're all dead or out of ammunition.

The Leopard should be deployed at the foot of the hill where it will have both camouflage, hard cover and a nice wide view of the entire valley, killing any enemy vehicle that comes into it's sights. MGs should e deployed behind rocks or other cover where they too have a clean view of the entire valley and suppress any troops that try to cross.

AT troops (Marked them as X) should be the only ones actually in the valley/fields. They are the last resort to stop enemy tanks in case the Leopard is taken out.

This might be a retarded plan but hey, that's what I would do. If I were to deploy these men in the field it would be a slaughter. And I'm not putting them in the town because there are still civilians in there.

Attached: hold the line niggers.png (1500x783, 2.81M)

Alright. I have assumed that the areas to the North and South are secured by other units that will hold out roughly the same amount of time. My Leo will be placed on the Northwestern side of the Southern hill, likely somewhere along the L3244. It will be camouflaged to the best of our ability and dug in to a hull-down position if that is practical. It's primary purpose will to engage enemy armor that attempts to cross the open 'Killzone'. It should not engage unless a high probability for a kill is presented, to maximize the amount of time before the enemy can ascertain it's position. Alternatively, it could proceed east along the L3244 and aggressively engage the enemy before falling back, but this seems too risky to me.

The Infantry will be split into three groups, Alpha through Charlie. Charlie will remain in reserve until the engagement develops and it can be determined where best to utilize them.

Alpha will dig in on the Southern hill. They should create fortifications that allow them to weather artillery bombardment, although I understand that sustained fire will likely make that a moot point. Their primary purpose in the engagement will be to hold their position and thus prevent the Leo from being flanked by anti-tank infantry. Their secondary purpose is to coordinate with the Leo and air units the movement of enemy units without exposing those assets to enemy fire. Their position can be greatly improved if the bridge to Wanfried can be destroyed, so early airstrikes would attempt to do so. Even if successful, I must assume that the enemy has at least some amphibious APCs and can thus cross the river. Combating these river crossing with AT launchers would likely be difficult without taking fire from enemy armor across the river and out of range. If the bridge is not destroyed and Alpha is likely to fall early, Charlie may be sent to reinforce them.

Bravo will be tasked with the Northern hill. This I see has the more difficult position to hold. Enemy spotters would not need to advance far to have a LOS to my armor and thus could begin directing effective artillery fire. Pushing up with Bravo would be dangerous, as enemy armor would be able to support infantry within the trees from a position of relative safety. In all likelihood they would be forced back to the crest of the hill and be forced to fight from there. Assuming the bridge into Wanfried is destroyed, Charlie would likely reinforce them.

Assuming that one of our two defensive positions begins to fall, attempts will be made to fall back to the town of Frieda. If the Leo managed to use all it's main gun ammo without dying, it will be sent to the West to fight another day.

I considered placing my AT troops in the marshes, but it seemed too likely that the enemy would dismount infantry to sweep them beforehand.

Attached: tace.PNG (1800x1029, 3.41M)

The AT troops rely on the MG emplacements to keep them safe. My plan is to make all infantry attempts to cross the valley futile. Only tanks may cross once our Leopard is out of action. That is when the AT troops will stealthily take them down in the marches under the camouflage of the fog and vegetation.

I don't like the idea of trenches and fortifications because we barely even have any troops to begin with. It is much better to have them always on their toes, engaging the enemy when he is confused or still unaware of our positions. Our lads need to always keep moving and avoid head-on confrontations.

My fortification idea was mainly to protect against artillery, since I figured losing half of a defensive position's infantry to an almost certain preliminary barrage isn't a good idea. I tend to create defensive plans based on what I'd hate to attack if I was on the offensive. When I look at the narrow passage, I think 'fuck that' and instead look to secure the surrounding terrain. I figure that securing one of the hills would allow spotters to direct effective artillery on the remaining defenders, so I made holding them my priority.

So you don't need to stop the tanks, just slow them down long enough for evacuation. First, taking out the bridge or viaduct south of Frieda should be a priority. Crossing the river without a barge would be troublesome, so it will force the enemy to travel along the northern side of the river. if they wish to access the town.

Blockading the road and surrounds with farm equipment and any other accessible vehicles would not stop the enemy, but might slow them down long enough for the threat of bombing or ambush to be a deterrent.

That leaves the northern hill to defend.

Good idea but you're taking too many chances here. What if the enemy can cross the river in a matter of 20 minutes? I doubt they would concentrate all their forces on the north just because they can't be arsed with deploying launched bridges. If they're already this far inland and their plan is to conquer an entire town then I'm pretty sure they would expect fierce resistance and have the equipment required to deal with sabotage of the bridge.

The advantage of the tanks is mobility. Slowing them down relies on forcing them to take a route through the hills, otherwise they'll just cruise down the road and into town. We're talking about a field of battle with a 3km radius, at most. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, they can move at around 60km/ph on the roads, 40-50km/ph through fields and farm roads and

Read the Kraut's comment. We are to pretend that there is no road there. It's all fields and marshes

Paved road. If there are fields, there are roads, even if it's just a dirt track for a cart and horse.

Well, in that case the Leopard will slaughter them one by one. I would also relocate my AT troops on that hill just in case the MBT is taken out.

Looking at how the river creates two extremely narrow areas (less than 50 meters wide) to the north and south of the valley, I would place MGs and AT rocket launchers in the hills and tree lines so that they can target those areas and lock them down.
The remaining infantry form up in the hills to prevent the enemy infantry from scaling them and flanking around our forces.
There is this narrow and fairly long cut in the hill on the southern side, which creates a perfect line of fire at the northern killzone and covers some of the wider area near the southern one. Ensuring that no enemy infantry can reach that position is important to the tank's survival, so reinforcing the southern flank with infantry would be more important than the northern ones.
The bad weather will likely make these longer range engagements difficult to impossible though, so moving the tank up closer to L3224 may be necessary depending on the situation.

My plan revolves around the enemy not coming through the hills, but even if they do decide to come through the hills, they will still have to go uphill against a prepared enemy force, through muddy ground. It's not ideal, but it could work.

Some fire wood, a mechanic's workshop, lots of dried and/or frozen food. Lots of clothing, furniture and whatnot.
The buildings are built from solid bricks, which can stop 5.56x45mm from medium ranges and 7.62x51mm from medium to long ranges.
All of the buildings have a cellar and most of them use oil for heating, so if you want to start a fire, you probably can do so without crashing a plane.
All civilian vehicles are currently in use for evacuation purposes.
You probably don't have the time to make fertilizer bombs. You could take some of the shells from the Leo and bury them if you really wanted to, or rig up some of the AT rockets into mines if you know what you are doing. I personally wouldn't dare to cut one of those open.

An interesting idea, I like the way you are thinking. The enemy would probably have to drive their tanks along the norther bank of the river, which has a much narrower path, that is also not paved. As soon as the tanks have roughened up the ground the infantry moving alongside and behind them will have a hard time trying to keep up with the tanks through the mud.
I highly doubt that they would drive their tanks into the hills. Sure, it's possible, but the hills are fairly steep and with the wet ground the heavy vehicles may have issues with the paths there.

The "marshes" in the valley aren't marshes. They are proper lakes. I got some like them close to the place I live. They dig large holes to mine gravel, transport all of it away, and just leave the holes behind to be filled with rain/ground water.
I am inclined to believe that someone had the placement in this valley was neither coincidental nor accidental.
I like how you hide the leo around the corner. You would get some good side shots on any vehicle that gets close to the town.

I like the way you split up the infantry. Keeping a reserve force as backup is always a good idea, but how would you transport them

Attached: my own idea.png (799x547, 811.97K)

The only thing that worries me about this layout is the possibility of the Werra being crossed, either by the bridge into Wanfried or by BMPs or similar.
There's an entire town next door. A dozen assorted civilian vehicles should suffice.

Attached: and so we went to war.jpg (207x236, 6.92K)

What vehicles would you take to the frontier if you went back in time to the wild west? It's a decent sized machine.

Attached: por mog3.jpg (800x1018 64.86 KB, 179.24K)

Zig Forums successfully nigger rigging civilian vehicles into weapons of war? It's more likely than you may think!

Attached: k IFV.jpg (1024x678 473.35 KB, 135.57K)

Get the most modern car I can, patent all the tech in it, and live off the royalties for the rest of my life while going down in history as one of the greatest American inventor to ever live.

If I can't do that this becomes two questions "What car do you pick for going back in time to when cars were uncommon or unheard of" and "What car is best suited for the environment of the American west during the Wild West".
I'm going to have to ask some follow up questions. Do I magically have infinite gas and motor oil that we'll assume can only be used to run the car or do I have to get it from any existing refineries? Where would I get a part if it broke? Do replacement parts have to be machined and/or cast from scratch? I'm assuming I also have to do all the maintenance myself and I get to bring back a tool kit.

Personally I would pick an older Jeep. Very short wheel base makes it ride over difficult terrain easier. Durable as hell. Simple enough that any problem wouldn't be hard to fix and could be done so in the field. It's small enough to easily fit on any road or street that does exist at that time, and I can park it without much fuss. Fuel economy is total garbage though (12-15 mpg), which is important when there are literally no gas stations in existence and you're getting fuel from comparably more sparse oil refineries.

Well I wouldn't stand in an open doorway fully exposed like a faggot so your whole scenario is a load of bullshit.

How would you survive the raft?

Attached: the raft.jpg (480x360, 15.41K)

Or, forgive my blasphemy, you can swap out the Willys Go-Devil/Hurricane with a four banger opposed cylinder diesel. Diesel fuel is a heck of a lot easier to make than gasoline. Or so I've been told. And I have no idea how well that would translate to 1860-something levels of technological proliferation. On the other hand, the lighter fractions of petroleum distillate, including gasoline, were often discarded as useless.
Steam cylinder oil is close enough to gear oil to be interchangeable. Antifreeze won't be invented until the late 30's, so have fun draining your radiator each night when it drops below freezing. Motor oil and transmission fluid I have no fucking idea.

have to get the other two overboard simultaneously and haul ass to shower the minute the goo monster engages, swimming the direction opposite to my currently-being-digested friends.

whale oil