Koine Greek

After being a Christian for some year I've decided to take my study of the NT to the next level. I want a good resource, don't mind paying either, that will teach me how to read, or even maybe write, koine Greek. I would also like to know syntax and grammar so I have a better understanding of what specific verses mean. The only issue is, is finding the right material. Got any recommendations Zig Forumss?

Attached: 1537818361570.jpg (526x567, 73.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lexicity.com/language/greek/
ntgreek.net/
hellenisticgreek.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=oreE4tDaW_U
ntgreek.net/lesson35.htm
ntgreek.net/lesson29.htm
ntgreek.net/lesson36.htm
ntgreek.net/lesson31.htm
ntgreek.net/lesson33.htm
ntgreek.net/lesson34.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_diacritics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lexicity.com/language/greek/

I use the text analysis tool on Bible Hub often.
These sites continually show up when searching for grammar related info, not that they were of much help personally.
ntgreek.net/
hellenisticgreek.com/

Probably less about learning koine specifically but just ancient Greek in general.

Yeah, that would be handy too since I've also begun reading some other Greek texts.

Also, what would be your review of these resources? Have they helped you a lot? How.confident are you reading a Greek NT without any foot notes to help?

Well no I'm not fluent at all I just use personally for more indepth analysis of verses.

Use the book Athenaze. It teaches mostly attic but some koine as well (verses from NT). If you know attic you also know koine.

I'm studying through athenaze alone

Do we have any ancient Greek writings that are written in athenaze?

I’ve just been using Duolingo to learn modern Greek. I intend to work backwards from there. I’m planning to find a Greek tutor, thankfully in my city there are many native Greek speakers.

Do you want me to quote the writings? I can do that.

If you meant attic: yes, Plato and Aristotle wrote in it, the tragic poets as well (Aeschylus, Eurípides sophocles)

Oh, I thought learning koine Greek would help me read all ancient Greek texts. Are there any other ancient Greek languages that one might want to learn?

Also, please gib quote

I heard if you master the attic dialect you'll be able to read koine easily, while the other way isn't that certain. Besides attic and koine there is homeric, but it's an artificial dialect etc. There is basically attic (spoken in athens by the poets and philosophers) and koine (which is the attic dialect that spread with Alexander's hellenization).

The book directly puts you in contact with the language. You'll be able to read a text (the first text) the book presents pretty easily. Then the structure gets more complex as you go.

Here are two examples. The first example is the very first page of the book. (the book can be easily found on the internet, you can download it)

Attached: 2.png (1252x866 44.79 KB, 124.79K)

Memorize all the charts I provided. First is alphabet. That's easy. They're pronounced how they sound.

Next one is noun cases using then definite article as example:

Nominative = Subject
Genitive = Of/From
Dative = To
Accusative = Object

Number and gender cases are self evident.

The rest of the charts are verb endings as well as prefixes to help identify.

1st person singular = I
1st person plural = we

2nd person singular = you
2nd person plural = you/ye

3rd person singular =he/she/it
3rd person plural = they

Note the different voices as well, being active voice, middle voice, and passive voice.

Present tense = Present
Future tense = Future (will/shall)
Aorist = Past tense
2nd Aorist = Past Tense
Perfect = Have/Had
Imperfect = Was/Were
Pluperfect = Had

There is indicative mood indicating a fact. A video for all indicative endings can be found here: youtube.com/watch?v=oreE4tDaW_U

Infinitive mood is the basic form of the verb: ntgreek.net/lesson35.htm

Subjunctive mood is suggestion (shall/might): ntgreek.net/lesson29.htm

Imperative mood indicating a command (aorist imperative usually entail "let"): ntgreek.net/lesson36.htm

There is also the participle of the verb which has noun cases. Participles are used to make compound verb forms. Here are all the tenses of it:

ntgreek.net/lesson31.htm

ntgreek.net/lesson33.htm

ntgreek.net/lesson34.htm

Memorize all the grammar and you're good. Diacritical marks can be found here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_diacritics

Next is just memorizing all the vocab which is easy to do.

Good luck.

Attached: maxresdefault (5)

Just stick with KJV.

The KJV is a shitty translation.

nice to see a fellow cat holic in a nice car. god bless you brother

Sure, but just to make things clear I'm not a papist.

i understand your feelings, but just fyi, all cats submit to the bishop of rome. actually meowing is a mixture of latin and koine greek. if you are interested i can send you some more information.

I'm not getting into another one of these protestant/Catholics arguments again on this board.

Let's end the convo here.

i'm just joking around friend. unless you think that was some solid apologetics i was going afterwards. for the record i love protestants! honestly i think they are cooler than orthos. you guys make the best music these days!

not sarcastic either. i love tori kelly and lauren daigle. we cats totally dropped the ball on the music front. i used to think worship music was cheesy but it's pretty awesome in general. a cool christian movie is always protestant too, if it's a catholic movie it's like something ancient. we cats are too stuck in the past at times. God bless you friend!

"Greek for Everyone: Introductory Greek for Bible Study and Application" by Dr. A. Chadwick Thornhill is a good recourse for beginners, and it uses a modified modern Greek pronunciation system so you'll be able to pick up the modern dialect latter more easily.
If you'd rather learn with the reconstructed pronunciations then look into William D. Mounce's resources.

Attached: Screenshot_10.png (368x556, 375.62K)

Also Steven M. Lulich has a couple of short cheap books which will teach you all you need to know to read Philemon, and 2nd John in Koine. He uses the reconstructed pronunciations, but its still a useful textbook even if you use modern.

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (359x557 323.59 KB, 301.43K)