Both.

Hey user
Did you know
That, um
There’s already a thread for this???

No there's not.

What does the Bible say, OP?

Useless thread.

It says Jesus is the King James Bible. John 1:1(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)

Does it matter?

John 1:1 says the Bible is an icon of Jesus.
But this is unrelated to the thread.

You say it shouldn't?

Time doesn't matter to God, why should it matter for you?

Genesis is theological poetry, now cease with the autism.

millions of years in 6 parts

Why does it matter?

The first two chapters of Genesis tells about God creating the Heavens and Earth, but not exactly HOW. Other than saying "let there be light" and breathing life into Adam, we don't know all the particulars or how long it took.

One of Stephen Hawking's more annoying quips was that there didn't need to be a creator because gravity could explain the creation of the universe. But who created gravity? I have no doubt that God used gravity to create the universe, and probably many other things that we are only now beginning to understand and probably never will understand completely.

I have no problem with the idea that God created the world over the course of billions of years. He could have created it in one second if He wanted to, but He most likely did not. Why? Who knows. Why wait thousands of years between the Fall and the birth of Jesus? Again, it's not really for us to ask. Maybe it has something to do with patiently waiting upon the Lord?

Maybe someday we will find out in Heaven.

Six literal days

God is moving through the universe, and by relativistic time dilation, billions of years are equivalent to six days.

Likewise, due to the difference in velocity, Earth is length contracted for God, making the Earth a flat circle, while it seems round to us slow mortal people.

sage for shitty thread

Attached: relativity.jpg (800x505, 209.65K)

We can know God through observation, and if observation does not point to a literal six days of creation, then we can say Genesis does not describe the fully literal creation. God DID create the universe out of nothing, and Genesis IS describing semi-literal events.

Adam was created as a grown man

[-]

I have a sort of related question. How can the earth be 6000 years old if dinosaur bones are dated back millions of years?

See

I found this speech very inspiring.

The whole 7 thousand years is just a chronological lineage back to Adam, so the days are up in the air. (as the original language 'day' means span of time.) It could mean "day", but it also could mean trillions of years or nano seconds. Either way, if you left Genesis 1 & 2 without an understanding that God is the creator of the existence, then you totally miss the point.

Neither, at least not in the way we understand them. The material world was completely different before the fall, and extends to the nature of time within the material world. Trying to apply our post-fall understanding of time to the pre-fall material world is futile.

It's pretty clearly written; I don't see how Christians get so twisted over it. It's 6 days.

One day for God can be a thousand or a billion years.

youtube.com/watch?v=PAkMy-lJ4oM

yom in Hebrew means an undefined period of time, a day, 1 hours, 7 month, or billions of years

the Israelites in the 1st century certainly believed that the earth was created in six literal days. If we assume that Christ was all knowing, and would therefore know for certain whether or not this is true, and that he is perfectly good, and therefore cannot lie. we can therefore infer from the fact that he did not argue against the literal interpretation of genesis that genesis is literal.

But that's almost like saying why didn't Jesus teach his disciples quantum mechanics.
Also you can't say for sure they believed in literal days since Jesus revealed them all the truth in the scriptures wherein lay many metaphors and poetry, but we still search deeper meanings in it to this day, whereas the disciples and Church fathers mostly kept faith simple in being a better person in the eyes of God.
The way I see it it is outright foolish to assume 6 literal days.

Cop-out answer.

Nice try.

Here is how every scholar translated "yom" in Genesis 1

Attached: what atheists actually believe.gif (291x229, 1.43M)

What is evening and what is morning then?

It's literally a quote from Psalms and the letter of Peter

Are you implying that God is a poet?

Yes, and it is frequently mid-used by those who want to give a hand wave answer instead of actually discussing anything.

God is outside of the universe and time, therefore it could be either 6 literal days of our time or billions of years - it doesn't make a difference as time does not affect God.

What is "is"? What is "first"? Maybe every word in the Bible is actually a metaphor for all the stuff atheist scientists talk about. Better ask your Rabbi, sounds legit though. A xanax per day keeps the cognitive dissonance away. πŸ˜ƒ

What?

I didn't even need to read the rest of the posts or the contexts to know you were wrong.
I read them anyways. And the poster you're replying to still isn't implying what you think he's implying.

Great post. Much substance.

What started with context-dropping of the word "yom" to give yourself wiggle room in ascertaining the meaning of the verse, has collapsed into a desperate search to question the meaning of other random words in the verse. This process could be repeated until every words is assumed to be metaphorical and thus, we could maintain our worldly beliefs while also claiming to be Bible-believing. Very clever!!! βœ”πŸ˜‰πŸ€ž

It's six days for God, not for us.
Why can't you wrap your head around that?

I'd say six billion years is a reasonable compromise.

You're insane.
My intent was to question the intent of the presumed passage of time in a metaphor of day caught in between morning and evening.
Also, just because a word is used in a certain meaning in most cases, this itself being a matter of questionable scholarship, it does not give reason to believe that the same meaning was used in Genesis.
You're prideful in your demeaning tone and you misunderstand and hyperbolize what people tell you, ironically taking a stance for a literal meaning. Why should anyone give you any credentials?

🀣🧀🏎

I agree that God exists outside of our time axis. There are plenty of places in the Bible where God relates concepts occurring outside of our time-space dimensions. For example:
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
"Listen to Me, O Jacob, even Israel whom I called; I am He, I am the first, I am also the last.
"Behold, God is exalted, and we do not know Him; The number of His years is unsearchable. "

It really grinds my gears when people say this if they mean it seriously or literally - to be clear - no God is outside of time so this statement is simply not applicable and nonsensical