Heresy and denominational differences

I want to talk about the nature of heresy in relation to this board.

One of the things I like about this board is that the moderation is strong against heresy and apostasy. And I think that's a good thing and it's following the example of early Christianity and follows the guidance of scripture that says that heretics and professors of false should be kicked out.

Where my worry comes is how this relates to different denominations. Now there are many denominations out there are heretical, The Episcopal Church of America and oneness Pentecostals are good examples of popular heretical denominations. I definitely believe people promoting their doctrines should be removed from the congregation and Christian fellowships until they repent.

That said there are legitimate differences between denominations that may not justify exclusion from Christian fellowship. Catholics and Protestants are strongly at odds over the role of Mary and the saints. There are denominational differences regarding how services should be conducted, the role of the Eucharist. Unfortunately these aren't things that allows for compromise, some of us are wrong, some of us are right and being wrong here has serious spiritual consequences.

When this board first started, there was discussion about these two topics.
First there was a discussion about heresy and I thought heretics should be removed and given very little leeway. There was also discussion about interdenominational flaming. I thought it should be allowed because I believed that the differences between denominations are important and it's important that people of different denominations be able to talk freely and passionately argue with each other to persuade one another.

And lately I can't help but feel that maybe I was wrong, because while we've done a good job of getting rid of heretics, the interdenominational flaming seems to have reached a point where we outright troll and advocate banning people of different denominations.

So maybe it's wroth having a conversation about how to deal with different denominations? How do we distinguish our fellow Christians who are worth discussing with, and heretics who should be excluded until they repent?

I can suggest a starting point:

1. All Christians must accept the Nicene creed as stated in the counsel of Nicene and revised by the counsel of Constantinople

2. All Christians must accept the Trinitarian notion of God (three persons who are yet one person through divine mystery)

3. All Christians must accept the nature of Jesus as both fully human and fully god.

4. While Christians can differ as to the role of tradition, all Christians must accept the divinely revealed nature of Scripture and not confess positions contrary to the clear wording of scripture

I don't really see any need for anything beyond these 4 requirements, because once we have these, we have a common point of discussion where we can figure out our other differences.

What do you think? Is it really hard to distinguish heresy from differences of opinion? Does feeling strongly about a particular doctrine mean that we should exclude others who confess and adhere to the 4 points but don't adhere to that particular doctrine?

Attached: 633.png (625x941, 345.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/documents/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_31101999_cath-luth-joint-declaration_en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want you to realize that If the mods were "Reformed" bros aka a flavor of post luther and protestent ideals. Every single catholic would be banned for being in-repairably heretical.

The unfortunate part is that this knife cuts both ways, lots of what we do are heretical to them, like the saints, Mary, praying to the Eucharist because it's the body of Christ, etc.

Then there's a lot of Catholic stuff out there that would say Protestantism is a heresy.

I think it's important to identify and get rid of heretics, I just think there could be a bigger standard than the standards of our own denomination that would still allow us to identify and get rid of heretics.

And plus we don't want to get rid of all heretics, remember TOM, that one mormon from way back. Everyone thought he was pretty cool

As a Pentecostal I agree with all four points.

You had to go there. How do you not realize that Sola Scriptura is behind the 33000000 protestant denomination schemes? It's evil and divisive-Just look at the true church and orthodox church. We had one skirmish, yet we share the same cup at the same table with little to no quarrels.

you realize that Catholics also believe that scripture is divinely revealed and that you can't go against the clear wording of scripture

divinely revealed scripture =/= sola scriptura

Cathadox just believe that tradition helps us understand scripture and is another binding part of the faith alongside scripture

What founds the bible divine is the apostolic tradition lead by the authorities to deem what is scripture, not because random people, like that demon-lead, drunkard Luther, collected the closest letters they can find. Otherwise the apostolic successors had no part in the construction and interpretation of the canon, rendering invalid as a pilliar of the church. Since the bible is valid through the true Apostolic, catholic church, only the pope can give what is definitive standard what is a Christian or not, what is the nature of Scripture. So, you proddies barely have a leg to stand on.

Your problem is you talk a lot about denominations and heresy and don't talk a enough about Jesus.
It's our job as brothers and sisters in Christ to watch over one another.
Help one another secure grace.
If we're going to talk about the Bible, lets live it.
Otherwise you're just playing games. You're a counterfeit. But I forgive you. If I offend you, may God grant you the grace to forgive me.
Let's speak well of each other.
Let's produce good fruit.
Bickering about differences is not good fruit.

But living according to the bible are works and your prophet Luther said that is against the rules.

What are you even talking about? Why do you purposely try to misunderstand what I'm saying and put words in my mouth?

Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely:

Catechism of the Catholic church Article II; 102

As for the new testament Catholics and protestants don't really differ since Luther accepted the same books that St. Athanasius and the later church counsels did

I talk about Jesus too

steadfast in love, steadfast in faith and

steadfast in doctrine

all are important, denominational bickering is a good thing, and something that should happen because argument and sometimes passionate argument is how we get to the truth - just we shouldn't go overboard and start attacking, vexing or banning other Christians

see joint declaration of justification by Catholic and Lutheran church

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/documents/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_31101999_cath-luth-joint-declaration_en.html

let me rephrase that, we shouldn't do things to purposely vex or try to get other Christians banned due to denomination, I suppose attacking is a part of passionate argument

That would create arguments if semi-nestorian baptists should be allowed here
Catodox and protestants would disagree on what is "clear wording of Scripture" is "is" means "is" you heretics

sure we might have disagreements at some points about what the clear wording of scripture means (and to be honest that's only a few passages we disagree on) but we all agree that we are bound to follow the clear wording of scripture

if there are actual nesotarians still around in the world, I'm happy to exclude them

Yeah, it seems like in his letters, Paul was pretty clear how bad divisions in the church were.

If you're not RC you should be banned.

Why? Not very biblical to be so isolated imo.

I personally think that unrepentant apostates/sinners (usually same difference) should get bounced.

Now, what you bring up, in the Episcopal Church and so on…that's not heresy. That's apostasy, wearing heresy's clothes. They do not accept certain basics, and are open to altering/ignoring the core instructions, let alone anything from consular standpoint. However, this brings up another major issue, which is that you see some major denominations like them trending in that direction. That's a long-term issue we must be aware of and prepare for in case things don't improve.

Also, #4 I believe could be revised to something that wouldn't rankle certain quarters. How about this wording:
"Christians must consider the New and Old Testament, as approved by the Unified Church, as immutable documentation."

This would get around the problem of people wholesale saying parts of the Bible that are not apocrypha are simply wrong due to muh feels, and yet also allow for tradition to play a clean role in matters. This should be largely agreeable to Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants despite the wide variety in those particular traditions.

I agree. However, when it comes to these other churches, if they do not follow basic rules then they no longer in fellowship. They self removed. If it's a matter of heresy, then I few that as "instructional error that a denomination must fix", rather than outright non-fellowship so long as they are not taking up a-Biblical lines.

I think more of people of all branches of Christianity, who seek God and salvation. I don't think those who seek will be denied because they were born into the "wrong brand" of Christianity.

I think largely baptists believe same thing except they get hung up on the title; 'mother/bearer of God'.

I know you're not representative of the whole church but please stop being a meme

He's a larper/false flagger. We're getting a buch of cultural "apostolics" recently acting dumb. Probably Zig Forums