Being a Christian and an autist

I know some people are going to make fun of me on here, but I know there's a lot of good people on here too, people nice enough to hear about my problems

I've been diagnosed with autism (PDD-NOS, not Apergers to be specific) since I was a child, I've had about 90% of the common symptoms. I went to church constantly as a kid and went to private school, my mom made me pray before dinner and before bed, but the idea of 'God' never really clicked with me, and I later became an atheist.

Only when I grew older did I recognize all my odd and anti-social behaviors were correlated with my autism diagnoses, I reconized just how different my brain was from normal people when it came to stimuli, fear, empathy and social situations just to name a few and recently, from reading articles on autism online, found the correlation between autism and atheism. Take this one for example:

archive.is/vErYT

or this

archive.is/we6kI

In short, people with autism are 10x less likely to endorse the idea of a 'God', and those who do often picture God as a form of system keeping the universe together (an example the first article stated, would be the entanglement of particles being God). Not only that, but autistic people are less likely to believe events happened for a supernatural or religious reason, and are more likely to rationalize it.

Why? Because autistic people lack the ability to picture the idea of a mind other than theirs. Autistics have a deficiency of Theory of Mind, to understand God as another being. People who feel God's presence - I'm naturally incapable of it or even comprehending it.

So what do I do? I've been a wreck for years and have been trying to find God as a way out, I'm reading through the Bible from Genesis and taking notes to make sure I understand everything, but it doesn't 'click' like I stated earlier. I just don't know what to do.

Attached: 1538958090541.png (1000x801, 387.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0EgK-VquRko&list=PLE3B78F02BBB52BA7&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=KVE2PdY-qqk
youtube.com/watch?v=33DC4UatExo
youtube.com/user/orthodoxstephen
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your case sounds a lot like me. God also didn't click for me in my youth. It felt very distant and theoretical, and then I became old enough to question and figured that I had no rational reason to believe. However much later on I did find rational reasons, including ones based in personal experience, to believe that God was real and personal. I still don't pray much because praying is a lot like social interaction, and I'm not that comfortable with that. It feels like if I pray without a good reason I'm being annoying, no matter what people say about the importance of prayer. However, asking that you learn to know God is definitely a good reason.

Orthodox are autistic confirmed

I've learned to pray even as an atheist, though it was often as a form of positive self-talk.

And I'm learning God, and in the process history. Becoming a believer was one of the main reasons for me to read the Bible, but right now I'm just reading it because of its historical importance.

I want to believe in God, I really do.

Attached: download (1).jpg (263x192, 7.84K)

user, if there has ever been a time to get comfortable with something you're uncomfortable with, its now. Seriously, even if praying makes someone feel like puking, they should pray.

I'll dump these in hope they'll help

Attached: the_enlightenment (1)

didnt institutional psychiatry produce memes about abandoned psych wards being infested by demons and ghosts?
dont they just promote prescription drug addiction today?
ye shall know a tree by its fruit.

Here's an apologist that has Asperger's who might help it click for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=0EgK-VquRko&list=PLE3B78F02BBB52BA7&index=3

As long as it helps him towards faith.

Attached: 1470965452935.png (1920x1080, 3.17M)

I'm not looking for proof in God, I'm looking for ways to feel God's presence and have him be with me the way other people say God does.

What kinds of things get you close to, or cause you to have a religious experience?

I don't know what you mean by 'religious experience'. The whole point of this thread is that I have a natural problem feeling and comprehending the existence of God, and I was looking for if there was any possible things I can try to help me.

Attached: DPOuPKPWAAAcB5O.jpg (462x429, 24.45K)

Then, if I may ask, how do you view individual people? With your answer maybe implement a personal understanding of God in combination as a formulaic system.

I’ve never felt God either. I know He’s there but I’ve never felt Him or had a two way conversation like many other people claim.

I've had difficulty connecting with people due to my autism. I've had difficulty understanding and processing their emotions and body language, it also makes me lack empathy.

Okay, so how you express your own emotions and personhood?

Here are two of my favorite Bible historians. You might find them informative. One of them is more controversial than the other, I'll let you figure out which:

Steven Collins - Sodom and Gomorrah
youtube.com/watch?v=KVE2PdY-qqk

E. Raymond Capt - Lost Tribes of Israel
youtube.com/watch?v=33DC4UatExo

Don't worry about finding the Most High, He finds you!

My autism has made me mostly emotionless, this deficiency is one of the main symptoms of autism.

Trust me, I'm trying very hard to feel God's presence.

Attached: 1531406928187.jpg (724x852, 103.46K)

That explains a lot, actually.

Well, σκύβαλα. Okay this is what we're gonna to try. Any positive emotion concepts is gonna be the crude equivalent of the satisfaction feeling when eating/becoming full, beauty, and getting comfortable. While negative emotion concepts are the crude equivalent of physical pain and disgust (something that stinks).

When you think of God, view Him as the greatest programmer who wants correct His scripts because a virus was corrupting the codes. We, the Christians, who are part of the program, look at God with a sense of being comfortable while acknowledging at our core desire to return to a corrupted state.
We (God and us) develop a sym"cybiotic" relationship. On one hand, being with God satisfies our hunger with the Programmer, and the other hand, God is achieving His ideal of beauty when our code is corrected. So everytime we with God's help become become aligned to God's vision the perfect script, and this growing trust, we feel more comfortable with Him.

So when you think about God along all of His attributes, also like you (in a similar way) feel hunger, pain, comfort, disgust, ought to look upon Him a goal you have to adjust with yourself to obtain ultimate, unifying, satisfaction.

Start praying the rosary every day

Attached: 1530084396698.png (717x853, 362.94K)

Don't push idolatry

The Rosary is not idolatry my mentally challenged protestant friend.

Attached: our-lady-of-the-rosary.jpg (643x800, 105.86K)

not sure if picture is intended as irony or not.

Have you considered becoming a Muslim? You might feel more at home with them considering they're actually iconoclasts. Christians aren't

Thank you for the beautiful picture. God bless.

I guess I can think of it that way… thanks for the guidance brother

Attached: 1535178656260.png (900x900, 287.5K)

Whelp, tired as I'm writing this. But they're plenty of Intellectual reasons, to believe in God. And more for Christianity once you potentially follow down a theist track. Through the great Works of C.S Lewis Pic related on of his quotes. G.K Chesterton. And even the Desert fathers as they're called. Actually had some really stimulating debates with the pagans of their days.

But, i've also noticed more Coherent positions from, The materialist, Naturalist, and Relativist Side. Mainly from Hume and Nietzsche Pic related. But it's more complex far more, complex. Then your internet edge lord who, sits online all day, spouting, Skyfairy, Skyfairy, Imaginary friend.

Tldr: Check out C.S Lewis's Works he's a pretty basic starting point. That's where i started when taking the, Christian worldview seriously and then it has really sorta been going from there, and still going.

Attached: Nietzsche on people who still believe in Quote on Quote. .Truth..jpg (855x639 70.64 KB, 166.66K)

Does your autism also have a correlation between being a chronic master-baiter and animefag?

youtube.com/user/orthodoxstephen

this guy might help

Maybe I'm in the same boat, but I haven't had a "feeling" of God either, but I have had feelings of the moral law written on my heart. The closes sense of anything I can say is "feeling" God is during the Sacrfice of the Mass, but I don't think it's wise to dwell on our senses, which can be. tricked and confused. Nowhere in tradition or the Bible is it said you need to "feel" God to receive His grace. Just do as He commands.

H E R E S Y

You're not the only autist here. It's a long story but I think that without autism, I probably would be just another NPC on the road to Hell who would gleefully accept the mark of the beast. Everyone can have unshakable faith and live the way God wants us to if at least they are somewhat competent thanks to the Holy Spirit, even if they're gay or autistic. No one could if the Holy Spirit wasn't there for us. When you accept Christ, you will receive the Holy Spirit. I'm praying for you.

-Summa Theologica, Question 46 Article 2

Remember that rationalizing God will most likely not lead you anywhere, as the path to salvation lies within faith rather than reason. If the path to salvation had been a problem of reason, everyone would have been saved by now. Hold fast to prayer, and make sure to praise the Lord every morning and night in a secluded location if possible. Take up the cross daily, and deny yourself the satisfaction of base pleasures. God is beauty, so make sure to only consume beautiful works of art whether in the form of movies,shows, et cetera.
This
Other than that, I highly recommend reading becoming Zig Forumslit/ and start reading christian novels, as they are able to communicate faith in a way unlike any piece of rationale can. Personally recommend The Brothers Karamazov. "The Russian Monk" chapter is a marvel to behold. Also, Notes from Underground since you are autistic, it may or may not be easy to relate to the main character. Christianity is an aesthetic just as much as it is the Truth, so consume the former genuinely and you may achieve the latter.

Attached: 1496539975104.png (900x6474 3.35 MB, 1.75M)

Wrong first pic.

Attached: 1524445794246.png (948x1542, 1.2M)

Op don’t listen to this “Christian” here

Did you ever see the movie "The Accountant"?
Autism is a gift from God.
Use it brother.