Burial Rites

What are your opinions on burial vs cremation? Why do you feel this way? If you're against cremation, what do you think happens to the cremated? Just curious what everyone thinks about the topic and their church traditions.

Attached: 01FEA798-CE58-4816-85BC-B698F20B028E.jpeg (750x563, 40.08K)

Burial is far more personal and has been the dominant tradition in Europe for a reason.

Most of the people I've talked to about this are against burial for financial or social reasons. Cremation being a cheeper alternative does not justify it, and frankly once you get your head out of the cremation mindset it really feels like cremation is a more disrespectful method of sending off the body God blessed you with throughout your whole life. That being said Christian communities should try to get together more high quality funerary societies so that burial is cheaper, especially for the poor. As far as social effects, like people not wanting their friends and family to come and see their body in a church or their casket put in the ground, I don't think these thoughts stand up to a Christian mindset of remembering our brothers in their death and praying for them

When I was a nihilst I wanted to be cremated so that no memory of me remains.
Today I just dont care about any of this tbh.

Which is?

Seems to be a good justification.
Why would you care for a soulless husk of meat? God is more interested in yoru soul even if you're alive.
Sounds more like death veneration.
Honestly didn't read the rest since I think your full of hogwash.

Now this user seems to have sense.

The body is very important in Christianity. You are not a soul inhabiting a body, that's Platonism/Hinduism. You are a body and a soul, and there will be a bodily resurrection one day.

when i'm done stick me in the ground and put a cross on me
after i start doing all those miracles in heaven they're gonna want to bury me up and find my beautiful body!
(one can hope haha)
but no really into the ground i go!

My Catholic mother says no. My Methodist father says it's fine. I haven't figured it out just yet. Hopefully I won't die before I sort it out.

I'm suddenly picturing a bunch of living piles of ash and bone hanging around Heaven.

lol, well I don't think you won't have a body if you have been cremated, but I'm just pointing out that the body is something sacred and should be treated as such. I don't know whether cremation is wrong or not, but I lean towards burial being more in line with Christianity.

And you honestly think God needs your carcass taking space in an already crowded world?

The Catholic church said cremation is fine back in 1963. You can be cremated, but you can't have your ashes scattered or divided up or anything like that.

Dude … you're talkin' about my dad.

Huh. Just looked that up and you're right.

hate to break it to you, your dad is a heretic. it's terrible our sisters get married to heretics and produce confused children like you. why parents allow this is beyond me. very sad.

I'm not confused and I'm not a child. Methodists aren't heretics.

He's pulling your leg.

Catholics aren't Christian

OP here, sorry I haven't been posting and responding, I appreciate the replies though.

I never understood the appeal of an ornate coffin and funeral. Seems like a huge waste of money, plus the expensive woods and embalming fluids are destructive to the earth.
The general idea of having your body basically turned into a mannequin and displayed for some time (wake, viewing(s), then funeral) seems distasteful as well. Wouldn't the most "virtuous poverty" thing be to just reverently place the body in the ground and be done with it?

That's not the real problem.

It's not the major one but wouldn't you say that unnecessary pollution and waste of the earth is something that should be avoided?

What about the combustion at the crematory?

That's bad too- I'm saying that wrapping them in a shroud or simple box and putting them in the ground is the best way to go.

Oddly enough, that's what Muslims do. I like that.

Hey, same opinion. The catacomb and ossuary burial seems like a good idea too.

Sadly, catacombs fell out of style once people discovered microbiology.

So make hermetically sealed catacombs.

God doesn't "need" anything in the first place.
Burial is a default choice and it shows respect to the concept of ressurection. Like bones of Joseph being carried to Canaan, that shows that bodies should also be respected. Also, I like skeletons so I hope that my bones will be kept in a comfy ossuary

Accidental sage

Burial is Western

Cremation is for jews :^)

To clarify for the autists:
West = Christian
Jew = Rev 2:9, 3:9

Jews don't cremate. It's against Jewish law.

Attached: 1446601905688-1.webm (640x360, 899.17K)

lol
And maybe I like my ashes on a shelf over the fireplace where nobody can screw with them Hamlet style.