Why Orthodoxy?

Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, let us have a polite discussion of Christianity and Orthodoxy.

Many people do not know that the original church build by the Apostles still stands strong in many parts of the world. After the Catholics broke away, so that the non-Latin Pope could gain the status of superior, things changed. The Germans of the Holy Roman Empire backed an intelligent man, Martin Luther, who introduced some very drastic changes. The most important, to me, is the following:

1. An individual could read and interpret the bible on their own.

This opened the floodgates. No longer was a learned, academic and ZEALOT like Priest/Clergy caste in charge of the ancient faith. Now Joe the butcher and Steve the bread merchant, lacking in education and peerage, could make Christ fit into THEIR mold. THEIR understanding.

We had the Anabaptist horrors of Münster which saw self proclaimed "Holy men" leading the citizenry into self destruction, starvation and other evils.

Since then we've seen more and more worldy leaders use Christianity for their personal grandizement. From big to small. From the Church of England to Uncle Joeys Bible Baptist Carwash and Pawnshop.

We have a real, ancient and hyper traditional church all. We have Orthodoxy. Why don't you begum?

Serious question and discussion please. We must root out tribal, "I was born this way" arguments to have a good theological discussion.

[Prefacing common questions:

1. Icon are seen as pictures of loved ones and friends. We consider Saints to already be in heaven and kiss their photos as if kissing a loved one.

2. Praying to Saints ='s asking them to pray for you. The same way you ask a friend or loved one to pray for you.]

Other urls found in this thread:

russian-faith.com/how-western-rite-may-benefit-entire-orthodox-church-fr-patrick-henry-reardon-n1841
newadvent.org/fathers/310117.htm
ifimightinterject.com/2010/05/reflections-on-divorce-remarriage-and_29.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E
m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZXbrbfXrY
ncregister.com/blog/scottericalt/we-need-to-stop-saying-that-there-are-33000-protestant-denominations
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Valaam Monastery. Second only to Mt. Athos as a destination and living place for Christian Monks and Aesthetics.

Mt. Athos, located off the coast of Greece is a fortress island entirely populated by Monks. Truly incredible.

Another premptive answer:

Why does Orthodoxy have Greek, Russian, Slavic etc churches in America? Well in Orthodoxy we're built off the 5 original major church areas, known as the Pentarchy (Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Antioch.)

Since then of course, many places were violently conquered by the Muslims or Jews. But each region had a Patriarch, or Bishop which is among equals.

Immigrants from many areas made their way to America and thus we have a Russian Orthodoxy, Greek Orthodoxy etc. The catch is they ALL share the same beliefs. Some do services in their native language but most are in English. You can go to any of them.

I'm currently attending an Orthodox Church, I hope to become a catechumen soon.

I think it's a peninsula.

There is also the emerging Western Rite which is looking pretty interesting. Here's an article by Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon
russian-faith.com/how-western-rite-may-benefit-entire-orthodox-church-fr-patrick-henry-reardon-n1841

You're preaching to the choir, OP. Everyone on this board also knows what Eastern Orthodoxy is.

I don’t want to fall into the trap of going into the wrong denom. Is orthodoxy actually the original apostolic church of Christ? I don’t care about looks or flashy stuff. I want to be apart of the true body of Christ. Is Orthodoxy the way? I already know that the Catholics have been sliding down the worldly slope for too long. I’m young but want to give myself over to Christ

Attached: 34512513-D087-4E4B-B123-4DEF96750E4F.jpeg (225x225, 32.49K)

I want to begome but there aren't any churches in my area that do services in English.

The ortholarp strikes again

Orthodoxy is salvation, everything else is either distraction or dead end

You need Jesus. Only he can save you. Your denomination won't and can't save you. Only Christ.

Keep it to the Orthodox general .

Attached: 1417804954510-2.jpg (1920x1080, 690.78K)

If you're drowning, only air can save you. Orthodoxy offers a life-boat. We don't claim it to be the only path to salvation. We don't say that by only showing the outward signs, and a disingenuous hearth, that you'll be saved. We don't say it's easy. But we know this path is true.

Attached: 1489776506846.png (580x421 63.61 KB, 219.87K)

My point is that it isn't denominations what we need. It is Jesus. We have to turn to Jesus with a regretful heart, atone for our sins and live a virtuous life with faith in God. This will save you but denominations won't.
Orthodoxy ia a good thing but it's secondary to Jesus.

Yeah it's not like everyone on Zig Forums is familiar with Orthodoxy already.

*Dabs on your strawman*

Rude, man… I admire the OP, he made a generally good post. I’m Catholic and I admire how much the Orthos here try to show why we should begum (even if I won’t since I believe the RCC to be the real Church wanted by God on earth).

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the Bible. The path to salvation is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of lighthouses most of the verses will go over a typical reader's head.

Somewhere in Saint Augustine's Confessions he says the Bible has various layers and an appropriate interpretation for all levels of intelligence, from the most humble to the most erudite. So all can partake, it doesn't mean you cant seek help from others in interpreting it.

because the catholic church is the one holy catholic and apostolic church lole

ST.CYRIL OF JERUSALEM (Orthodox Feast Day: June 9)
Catechetical Lecture 17
Section 27
newadvent.org/fathers/310117.htm
In the power of the same Holy Spirit Peter also, the chief of the Apostles and the bearer of the keys of the kingdom of heaven, healed ∆neas the paralytic in the Name of Christ at Lydda, which is now Diospolis, and at Joppa raised from the dead Tabitha rich in good works.

The Church is the body of Christ

Then Orthodoxy is the way.

Both the Catholic and Orthodox Church are, though the latter disavow the former completely.

Caring about looks or flashy stuff is half the reason to be Orthodox, the other half is being Russian or East European. Fair warning, if you are in USA, prepare to feel ostracized.

Jesus and his church are one, we go to church to partake in his flesh and blood in the Eucharist. God will lead you to his church if you're ready for it

The Orthodox church still teaching the ancient faith in it's fullness, the Catholic church doesn't anymore. Salvation is theosis

Obviously false, because then the Orthodox Church would completely ban re-marriage, as Christ taught.

Christ taught that divorce is unacceptable except in the case of infidelity, that's not to say that Orthodox are like protestants in regards to divorce and remarriage

Why do you Catholics always need to lie?

I was baptized into the Orthodox Church a month ago. Best thing that's ever happened to me.

You should, Beauty is good. Although no justification, Beauty is a fruit of Truth.
As in, modern art is so distorted because it's moral relativism and economic oriented ideologies like capitalism and communism produce gigantic concrete blocks with no decoration because it's utilitarianism, etc.
Worldview always precedes art.

fake news, Christ only taught that divorce and re-marriage is only acceptable if the marriage was illicit to begin with.

There is no Church Father (pre schismatic) that allows for re-marriage like the current Orthodox Church does.

Prove me wrong. The EO has been an eastern european clique for centuries, and there's only 30k in the USA! There's millions of Catholics in the USA.

Behold, the western mind strikes again, trying to put Christ on a scale and measure faith with numbers and statistics.

He said you'll feel ostracised if youre an orthodox in the united states and backed that claim up with the fact that the orthodox community in the united states is tiny and made up solely of ethnic groups. He's not claiming more followers = better

This tbh. Im always amazed at how other christians (except for baptists, God bless them) always try to make excuses for sexual perversity. How hard is it to understand "one man one women"

You have to be doing this on purpose. You do realize that nearly everything concerning divoce and remarriage is taken from St Basil the Great's letters, right?

"the church" means the true believers of Christ, not an institution.

Your denomination doesn't matter.
Having a good relationship with God and Jesus matters. And you can have that through grace.

Denomination wars are stupid, unless against prots who idolize freedom and liberalism, and they started the whole modernity schtick too, not to mention that they are also responsible for tricking conservatives into preserving revolutionary ideals instead of actual traditions.

"As a matter of fact, reading the first letter brings us to section IX, where it says:

Here then the wife, if she leaves her husband and goes to another, is an adulteress. But the man who has been abandoned is pardonable, and the woman who lives with such a man is not condemned. But if the man who has deserted his wife goes to another, he is himself an adulterer because he makes her commit adultery; and the woman who lives with him is an adulteress, because she has caused another woman's husband to come over to her.

Note it says absolutely nothing about the wronged spouse remarrying. It only says he is not to blame for his wife’s infidelity. In other words this is an explanation of Matthew, stating that the man who puts his wife away for sexual immorality does not make her an adulteress. It does not justify remarriage."

ifimightinterject.com/2010/05/reflections-on-divorce-remarriage-and_29.html

"The Church" refers to The Church of Christ, established upon St. Peter. The earliest letters from the Church Fathers (St. Justin Martyr and the muratorian fragment) justify the belief in a universal Church, consisting of hierarchy of smaller churches tended to by Bishops authorized by The Church.

Your denomination absolutely matters, and if Genesis rings true (and it absolutely does) God has no regard for the paltry offerings of Kain, but only of the Lamb of Abel the Just.

And you lie again, wilfully or not:

lol yeah, there's easily 30k in my city alone, and plenty of English language liturgies. yep just googled it, there's just over 30k

was looking at wikipedia for the numbers

30k practicing EO?

the numbers on WP made a distinction between those self-identified, and reported numbers of attendance

This is a strawman, so it should be ignored, but it's common enough that I'll adress it
Sola scriptura does not mean you can understand the bible without study. The doctrine of sola scripture is that the holy bible, as the very word of God, is the supreme authority in the Church, and is the fullness of divine revelation, and the final judge of all religious disputes, which all human authorities must defer to. From this proceeds the principal of semper reformanda, that we must subject human authorities to the tribunal of scripture and test them (another common misrepresentation is to equate sola scriptura and semper reformanda) to ensure we remain faithful to the scripture. A common allegation even made by you is that we make every man a supreme judge of truth, but this is false not only since we expressly hold scripture to have this role, but also because you will never actually find one of us saying to some scripture-twisting heretic "well, that's your interpretation, and since the interpreter is the final authority, I can't reproach you", but we rebuke such persons on the grounds that they twist the scripture. We don't need to accept false interpretations because we do not make interpretation the authority, rather the word is the authority, and the word judges all interpretation. Perhaps you will object, "how can scripture judge interpretation when it is known through interpretation?", but I answer that interpretation is distinct from interpreted text, and man is able to truthfully interpret, that is, interpretation need not be a pure fabrication in the mind of the interpreter, but man is able to extract the genuine meaning out of messages (otherwise, all communication would be impossible, and all religion would be false). Therefore, men are capable of discerning the true intended meaning of scripture, and squaring any interpretation against it, including their own, since these words were spoken by our creator, and He did so with the intent to be heard. Otherwise, a truly divine religion is quite impossible. This is why those noble Bereans who are devoted to being led by God generally have either very similar or exactly the same interpretations, even without contact. But this is not to say we cannot be enlightened as to the meaning of scripture by other believers, because they can show us what it means.
The Anabaptists rejected this principle in favor of a spirit of fanaticism and enthusiasm. They considered it a priori that anything which is Romish is also unscriptural, so they rejected all scriptural teachings that agreed with the church of Rome (such as the command of infant baptism, the rejection of which provided their name). They also rejected the sole divinity of scripture in favor of private revelations and spirits.
If someone practiced 'dulia' with a dead loved one as the object instead of a saint (such as creating a shrine featuring their image, burning incense and kneeling before it and praying to them), nobody would shrink back from calling it idolatry. This distinction between latria and dulia is clearly invented to justify blatant idolatry, and it is offensive to God.

Just ask the priest for a divine liturgy book in English translation. I attend a Greek orthodox church that i didn't understand at first but i started to pick a lot of the language through reading the translation when i am in liturgy and experience

There are over 30,000 examples of men being unable to discern the true intended meaning of scripture.

That's 100% false
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E
m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZXbrbfXrY
But hey, it's not like you care about that, you just like this lie because it supports your narrative, which is why you'll repeat it again

ncregister.com/blog/scottericalt/we-need-to-stop-saying-that-there-are-33000-protestant-denominations
You're right that there aren't 30,000, but even a Protestant apologist has to admit that there are hundreds of Protestant denominations.

I'm not a Papist btw, I'm converting to Orthodoxy because it is the one holy catholic apostolic church. Orthodoxy actually possesses the unity that Protestantism likes to claim it has.

There are over 30,000 Churches. You realize that any time a "Pastor" has a "faggot son" they break of and form a new Church. Actually for the majority of Protty churches they all have their own theology. If you count each church as a church with contradicting theology, then yes that number is around accurate I would say. Now granted in Catholicism there are certain topics which haven't been settled on, but it's not the same as saying oh you can be a faggot that's fine.

Then it is false witness to claim there are
No, not if denomination is used as a doctrinal categorization (which is the only way its number is even relevant to sola scriptura), because there are a few minor disagreements within the body of Christ. Let me put it this way: we do not break communion. A Presbyterian is welcome to the Lord's table in a Baptist church and vice versa.
Your patriarchs are breaking communion over church politics
We have the only unity that matters in the Christian context, unity in Jesus Christ. One body, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all.

There have been minor schisms in Orthodoxy before, they were reconciled. This too will pass, God willing.
You do not. You disagree about anything and everything because each man is his own priest. Unity does matter, you do not have it.

No, we don't.

Then why are there so many denominations?

I just can't wrap my mind around why anyone would seriously consider becoming a protestant. Don't you want to follow the actual historical Christianity, like the actual religion, not some imaginary reconstruction made by some Germanics post 1500s? Why not just make up your own religion at that point?

Attached: image.jpeg (612x408, 33.18K)

Protestanism is basically a really enthusiastic fan club of Christianity, and I respect their zeal, but Orthodoxy is the actual sports team. Y'all need to get in the field and play ball.

stop evading the question.

t. actual cultist

So how does the liturgy work? If everyone is singing in Russian/Greek, wouldn't it be weird for me to be there singing in English?

Heh. I don't think it's that simple either. Protestants are still Catholics in many ways. But like pre-Thomist Catholics.
The real radical offshoots are Anabaptist type movements.

Considered it, decided against as there a few places theologically where like the clearly corrupt RCC they've appeared to be have become wayward that and no one I've known can make a reasonable argument towards it being irrefutably the proper assembly or what I veiw as wayward as being "valid". Otherwise they're a great resource for being more knowledgeable about things.

But honestly, wouldn't mind being convinced but I doubt it'll happen.

Attached: 6b96033d17464b1d0bc17f56d554c049b811272fe7023012a40ef36e8c8c8906.gif (400x225, 1.26M)

Pointing out the irrelevancy of the question is not evading it

such as?

Common Question-Evasion tactics:
Attacking the question
Using this approach, the interviewee claims that the question is irrelevant or objectionable. By attacking the question, the respondent can avoid giving a potentially damaging answer.

There is a vast multiplicity of Protestant denominations, scriptural interpretations, customs and theological doctrines. If there is such a thing as truth, most Protestants are wrong. If Sola Scriptura guides Protestants, and most Protestants are wrong, Sola Scriptura does not lead most people to the truth.

Attached: 1523404034058.jpg (500x500, 35.37K)

Why do you expect others to grant you the right to argue in bad faith?

honestly orthodoxy is great for europeans, not so much for africans who want to dance and sing and jive and jig and slap their knees and hoot and holler in Church and twerk and so forth, I know there are some orthodox blacks in africa but they are an exception, vast majority of the negro race just can't conform or enjoy traditional Greek/Russian/Latin services.

they might go through the motions, but deep down they wanna twerk in church. it's true, go to all black churches and see what happens. Whether they are in Nigeria or Ghana or Texas, it's in their nature to hoot and holler and jig and jive and twerk and simulate fornicating moves while dancing

Why do you believe I am arguing in bad faith?

If it confuses you, perhaps you should read the exchange up to this point? Insisting that I must acknowledge a large number of organizations believing the same thing as somehow detrimental to the reliability of the bible simply because they are many in number is most certainly bad faith. How, pray tell, is the number of institutions relevant to their source of doctrine, if they believe either all or nearly all the same things? If anything, I'd say that doctrinal consistency is evidence of scripture's reliability as the source of belief. The question is about as relevant to the topic as if I asked how the Eastern Orthodox churches can be true if Russia was ruled by communists.

I never argued that the Bible is not reliable, and I'm not trying to convince you that the Bible is not reliable.
It isn't relevant to their source of doctrine, It's relevant to their beliefs about how to approach that source. The belief that every man can interpret the Bible independently does not produce unity, it produces disunity.
Every Orthodox church believes exactly the same things (theologically) as every other Orthodox church. There is a big difference between believing "nearly all the same things" and believing the same things. You can't be nearly pregnant, you can't be nearly alive.
Scripture is not the source of your belief, the source of Protestant belief is in individual interpretation of Scripture. Scripture does not interpret itself.

I'm not going to repeat myself so you go ahead and read the thread and decide if you want to join the conversation or not

You debate like a slippery eel. Slither away from the thread.

Attached: (You) .jpg (261x228, 13.88K)

Please elaborate

Do us a favor and delete it form your folder

doggie lieks you, user