Thoughts on Siddhartha Gautama ?

Thoughts on Siddhartha Gautama ?

Attached: Siddhartha_Gautama_meditating.PNG (420x643, 648.34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.028.nymo.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good for where he was born and the time he lived, but ultimately made irrelevant by Our Lord and his Church as preached by Saint Thomas.

Religion that makes the most sense and comprehensive.
FTW

Escapist, devised his own religion based purely on human speculation rather than revelation. About as good of a job you can do constructing a religion by purely human means, I'll give him that much. The whole premise is to escape suffering, Christianity embraces suffering. Seeks to leave bodily life behind, Christianity hopes for eternal life in incorrupt bodies at the coming resurrection. Looks for an impersonal realization, Christianity strives for personal relationship with God.

I'd say it's the opposite of Christianity. And you really have to be an idiot to think they meet in any way because of monasticism like I've been told before.
Both see the human condition as inherently fallen, but their solution is to join the vast nothingness. While ours is to rejoin God fully.
That is, they see our specificities as bad while we see them as good. Fallen, but good.

Ultimately because in Christianity, Truth is a man and in anywhere else it's an abstraction.

Not a bad guy in general. Gave up all of his worldly possessions to live in poverty. Had he lived after Jesus, he would have probably taken up his cross and followed Jesus. Hard to know for sure.

Actually, Buddhism is based on the idea that all life is suffering and that suffering is the only way to live. To escape suffering is to escape the only way to grow. The Buddha taught people to give up desire, not to give up suffering.

enlightened pre-christian who had no time for thots.

"Man life is awesome, there's literally nothing wrong with it."
"Oh winnie the pooh no, my whole life has been a lie, I'm going to spend the rest of my life with detachment disorder just so I don't get hurt."

Buddhism, what happens when you arbitrarily shelter a person from the realities of life through their entire childhood and then they see what life really is.

Protip- Oversheltering one reason why kids from Christian households find themselves interested in Eastern Mysticism / Buddhism. Tell them the truth, don't hide how sinful the world is.

I don't agree with this. Christianity doesn't embrace suffering as an inherent good, we suffer because the world is fallen and broken, but most of all because we're antagonistic towards God. We however do transform our suffering, as God came down in flesh, suffered and died with us. The difference is that Christianity is divine revelation, while buddhism was a spiritual reaction to logos that wasn't fully understood.

Detachment from the world is a part of Christianity though, and you don't have to be sheltered to mourn the loss of innocence. This world grinds up even the strongest of us.

To everyone who thinks you have to be a christian to go to heaven look at the story of the good Samaritan.

being a neighbor ≠ having salvation

We're not detached; you're misunderstanding the call.

Christ suffered, he didn't detach from it, he didn't avoid it- and he could have easily. Christ suffered because suffering is a part of life and has its purposes - mainly to mold us into better people.

Christians experience the good and the bad, we don't detach from them. We love, we suffer, we learn, we move forward.

It's different from trying to escape this world by caring about nothing - remember, detachment is a two-edge sword, the Buddhist loses his feeling for deep love as he escapes the suffering.

so many layers of this
Recognising something, at a stretch, beneficial in another philosopher's teachings is one thing … seeing God in all paths is just plain wrong.

Do you guys believe it is possible for Siddartha and maybe Soctates were able to make Christ their Lord during the Harrowing of Hell?

no

It doesn't say instantly after, does it?

Considering it was pre-Christ, wouldn’t he have already been in Hell? If that’s the case I’m pretty sure people that wise upon seeing Christ making his rounds would have hopped onto that train

But judgement comes in the day of the Great White Throne.

Also, the Old Testament Saints would have had to declare that Christ is Lord before going into paradise proper, no?

They believed God, even when they didn't know about Christ

Buddha embodied every quality a good Christian would have except dependence and love of God. This is a very bizarre development in world history, even our wise greek sages had reverence and love for the god(s) or God depending on their philosophy. Buddha was totally autistic in this regard.

Tbh I don't know enough to form a real opinion, but from what I have heard, his teachings about poverty and asceticism is admirable.

I really like his Fire Sermon. Allegedly he happened upon a big group of fire worshipers and decided to give them the Fire Sermon, many became his followers upon hearing it.

accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.028.nymo.html

Because SHUT UP IM THE ONLY ONE GOING TO HEABEN BECAUSE I PRAY 30 TIMES A DAY TO CHRIS PERSONALLY YOURE ALL SINNER AND ARE ALL GOING TO HELL WITH BUDER AND SOCRATE FOREVER HAHA NO ONE COMES TO SALAVATION BESIDES ME REEEE

misguided chaos worship

Attached: wtf-pope.jpg (156x156, 12.37K)

Cringe, thats the problem with some of you christians. You cant take a second out of your praising to inspect those who are different to the church crowd

I agree. Its hard to convert people to your religion if you mock theirs. Pride

Bunch of tards. It legit makes me angry. Online i image them as senile old/middle aged people. In real life no matter how much you argue with them their stale brainwashed minds cant comprehend anything

Good Lord, it's the atheist cringefest on muh Zig Forums !!

Attached: fedora-kitty.gif (335x258, 1.98M)

Dunno about that. I was raised christian. Over here, both parents were convinced that poverty, misery and suffering were part of worshiping the Lord. I had a rough childhood that involved sudden, unwarranted beatings if I was suspected of enjoying life, policed to who I talked to at a STASI level, verbal abuse and spot searches of my room, but I learned the ways of the underworld and to get what I want without parents taking it away from me. Now I'm a gang boss of some wealth, and my business is to deliver luxury goods to people who really want it. The parents? They're dead. Heroin is a terrifying drug. Don't do heroin.

Chill out, Pope. It was but a jest.

No grandpa, its called being having an opinion

Unironically this.
My parents raised me with the idea that the world is great and if you just be a good person and work hard, everything will be great.
The result?
Heartbreak after heartbreak.
People are wicked, they are absolutely sinful and selfish, they worship their ego, they are idolatrous savages, chasing their next high.
It's incredibly hard to adjust to a world you were not prepared from childhood to live in.

Dafuq happened to Zig Forums Lots of good posts all of a sudden.

Well, God is omnipresent. I don't know if there are other religions that God revealed, but I hope so.

This is a meme though. Buddha himself was a hindu, and only during the reforms of Emperor Ashoka did Buddhism become it's own religion. Atheistic buddhism is a modern thing.
Read the mahabharata you tigger. It is comprehensive.

Yeah, the wrong one. Repent.

Oh im so sorry, please forgive me !!!