Latin Mass

Julian Johnson
Julian Johnson

Why do all these people who dont speak Latin want Latin only mass like whats the point in going to a Mass if you dont understand the Word of The Lord they read and their homily. It just seems so pathetic and larpy to think a mass whoms language you dont speak is superior.

Attached: zvPH82o.jpg (100.72 KB, 750x942)

James Robinson
James Robinson

Homily is in vernacular,
also
You Retweeted

Samuel Thomas
Samuel Thomas

I honestly don't understand the point either. Why listen to something you don't understand

Dylan Young
Dylan Young

Vernacular Extraordinary Form mass would be great, to bad you can only have it in Latin. Otherwise It's suprising to see how many people Catholic church converted when they pretty much had only Latin up until recently.

Ryan Russell
Ryan Russell

I go to mass to be relaxed and be around fellow Christians. 30 seconds chants won't help you better understand Him, you can do that in your spare time or with your group.
It's totally LARPy, but it's still cool.

Hunter Wright
Hunter Wright

He isn't at the least familiar with a Romance language
He doesn't know the complete translation for every individual mass in in the breviary
He doesn't know that the homily is in vernacular and includes the readings from Scripture
He doesn't know that the whole point of the Latin mass is so that you're certain of an orthodox liturgy without mistranslations and heresies
I pity the fool.

Attached: absolutely-barbaric.jpg (82.52 KB, 640x500)

Camden Hughes
Camden Hughes

It's more important to be devoted at Mass than to understand it fully. Mystery is an important part of the religious experience.

Also:

1. Latin was the language of the Roman Empire, where Christianity grew, so it is a tradition.

2. The mass in Latin shows unity among Catholics. One can go a TLM in China and feel to be at home.

3. Latin is a beautiful language, therefore it resembles God.

4. Latin is a sacred language, used mostly in liturgy in the modern times, so it helps us to differentiate the mundane and the divine.

5. Latin is a precise dead language, which mean that words don't change their meaning over time. And this is very important since Christianity teaches eternal truths. It is not the same "hostia" and host.

Eli Wilson
Eli Wilson

Great explanation, the efficacy of the Mass is not at all contingent on our understanding or comprehension of it. In fact, allowing it to just happen helps me focus more on God's presence rather than the minutiae.

Carter Morgan
Carter Morgan

Vetus Ordo is a superior rite in just about everything, I can't really answer your question since I am italian and I can easily understand latin.
I only need to catch 2 words of the Gospel to understand which episode is being read.

Luis Ortiz
Luis Ortiz

It's just so beautiful the way it sounds like gibberish to me and I just love how I cant understand 75 percent of the mass I go to.

Juan Stewart
Juan Stewart

I wonder if 1500 years after (if) English has died as a language, people will claim it's a sacred language.

Cooper Sanchez
Cooper Sanchez

The Mass is a sacrifice not a lecture. If you actually believe this:
whats the point in going to a Mass if you dont understand the Word of The Lord
You are not a Christian.

Owen Allen
Owen Allen

The Mass isn't about you or the people in the pews. It isn't for your entertainment and it's irrelevant whether or not you understand the words being said, although you can easily follow along with a translated missal. The homily is always in the vernacular.

The new Mass has caused people like you to think that the Mass needs to be catered to your whims and interests and exists in order to be linguistically "understood", it doesn't, primarily. It has also caused people like to think that the Mass is about "relaxation" and fellowship, it isn't, primarily.

Attached: 1499874381282.jpg (1.12 MB, 1701x2552)

Adam Clark
Adam Clark

I go to Mass to be relaxed

Attached: 8ECF9B84-64DE-415D-8835-B38FDAAA616F.jpeg (103.68 KB, 468x895)

Ryan Morgan
Ryan Morgan

And furthermore, the Church's tradition of sacred music and chant has been bringing people closer to Christ for the past 2,000 years. What do you mean the ancient liturgy of the Church won't help draw people nearer to Christ? You sound like a protestant.

Attached: 1407987943058.jpg (257.12 KB, 750x1000)

Hudson Parker
Hudson Parker

The TM in that picture is hilariously ironic. Is this what traditionalism has come to? A product to be marketed?

Gavin Stewart
Gavin Stewart

Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Wyatt Lewis
Wyatt Lewis

Yeah, "traditionalism" is all a big product to be marketed. You've exposed our scheme based on that random picture I pulled out of my ass. We were raking in the big bucks before you came along, too.

Dylan Roberts
Dylan Roberts

Again, the Mass is NOT ABOUT TEACHING ANYBODY ANYTHING.

I'm not accusing you of being part of a conspiracy, I'm just saying, it's pretty ironic.

Dominic Diaz
Dominic Diaz

Ah, yeah I suppose, my apologies. I did just check that site out and the shirts they sell are super overpriced, and the marketing on the website is gross.

John Smith
John Smith

whats the point in going to a Mass if you dont understand the Word of The Lord they read and their homily.
How to spot a prot that doesnt know what the frick he's talking about

The Gospel can, and often is in vernacular. The homily is always in vernacular.

Ryder Rivera
Ryder Rivera

It wouldn't be so hard to understand if it weren't forbidden to speak in the modern world.

Jackson Robinson
Jackson Robinson

English is by far the most common studied second language in the world.

Angel James
Angel James

it's irrelevant whether or not you understand the words being said
t. exclusionist snob

The chants do sound majestic and creating serviceable melodies in all the vernaculars is probably one of the main impediments. Otherwise it would be reasonably desirable to have liturgy in every community's main tongue.

Michael Evans
Michael Evans

And there was a time when Latin was the language of the world. Now it's a dead language, claimed to be sacred. Hence, my IF … IF
IF

Easton Reyes
Easton Reyes

I like Latin mass, but the liturgy of St Chrysostom in any language is better

Jayden Reed
Jayden Reed

Hey now, some Latin chants are among the best in the planet.

Jacob Gonzalez
Jacob Gonzalez

Maybe conservative Anglicans and KJV-onlyists

Jacob Campbell
Jacob Campbell

What's wrong with that ? Not my fault church is comfy.

Lincoln Gutierrez
Lincoln Gutierrez

And then people wonder why reformation happened

Attached: 1510587112213.jpg (24.71 KB, 209x294)

Dominic Ross
Dominic Ross

Vernacular Extraordinary Form mass would be great
this would be the best solution imo

Isaiah Mitchell
Isaiah Mitchell

The reformation happened because idiots like you prefer comfort and pleasure to the truth, so you listen to Satan. Luther was a monk who wanted to winnie the pooh women without feeling bad about it, that's literally the reason the reformation happened.

Jaxson Ortiz
Jaxson Ortiz

You and I know that's not true. Don't darken the holy mother church by spreading lies.

Attached: Christ-in-Desert---Kramskoi.jpg (67.28 KB, 547x480)

Josiah Adams
Josiah Adams

Want to know why vernacular is terrible? For decades, the English mass was translated INCORRECTLY. Saying "Lord I am not worthy to receive you", but the Latin Mass (and the Bible) is literally "enter under my roof". So we have some made up line that's not in the Bible or the Mass and was there for decades until just recently they decided to correct it. And what's more hilarious/disgusting, I had to listen to a homily from a Priest who said he "hated" the change. Like what…

So yeah this is why vernacular is terrible. Plus the handshaking is gross and disgusting as well. Some people come to mass and are really filthy, coughing, homeless, etc. All you can think about is washing your hand afterwards. We don't need to do this nonsense. Latin mass is way better, more reverent, no stupid guitar songs with like twenty chord changes and the most idiotic melodies. Honestly NO in general is just gross. Learning the mass in latin if you want to follow along isn't even that hard, it stays the same anyways.

Brayden Ramirez
Brayden Ramirez

Desire for Latin Mass is a sign of extremism.

Attached: being-catholic-is-antisemitic-goy.jpg (197.49 KB, 1085x859)

Brandon Ramirez
Brandon Ramirez

Is it true it was encouraged/okay to hate jews before v2? I thought they didn't change any doctrine. SPLC is the last place I'd get facts from but I'm still curious about this point.

Carson Diaz
Carson Diaz

Because Americans and Catholic kids in culturally deprived countries want to find comfort in a culture they can feel nostalgic about but know nothing about. Extraordinary Mass is beautiful and all, but it's treated like a tv show you watch every week. That's why the bell is there: to get your attention after you stopped paying attention and say that the consecration is happening. Pope Pius X was vehemently against the lazy treatment the Mass had developed, hints why he started encouraging people to pray the Mass instead of just going to Mass and praying during. The issue of people lazily sitting and watching Mass was addressed by the liturgical reforms and V2, which is why Mass became more participatory. Thing is, a lot of converts get turned off of the New Mass because they want to be reverent but they end up at a parish with an irreverent population, but that's not representative of the New Mass. But the irony is that these people will say "Mass isn't about you!" but then immediately complain about things they don't like at an Ordinary Form parish.
video related
it's what my home parish's Mass looks like, but my parish does it in English and not ad orientem.

Parker Jackson
Parker Jackson

Didn't post video

Christopher Hernandez
Christopher Hernandez

So you're saying your stupid.

Nicholas Rodriguez
Nicholas Rodriguez

He doesn't know that the whole point of the Latin mass is so that you're certain of an orthodox liturgy without mistranslations and heresies

Wtf I'm Latin vulgate onlyist now

Jaxson Price
Jaxson Price

Because they hate the bible and don't want anyone to hear it

Connor Collins
Connor Collins

Implying the Vulgate has anythjng to do with the liturgy except for the readings
Bloody heck people are stupid.

David Wood
David Wood

Ahh yes, protestant arguments.
Bit strange that the readings are either in vernacular or translated in the homily but hey got to have that fanfiction narrative I guess.

Hudson Martin
Hudson Martin

if it weren't forbidden to speak in the modern world.
?

Sebastian Reyes
Sebastian Reyes

Didn't the eastern half speak greek?
The mass in Latin shows unity among Catholics.
So why won't the church make eastern catholics use Latin instead of their local language?
Latin is a beautiful language
agreed
Latin is a sacred language
Would you also say greek is a sacred language? What about Armenian?

Dylan Nelson
Dylan Nelson

menorah

Attached: 2027434a7f4fbf7e774a194cf42e4adc67cc3097faa54ff217892133376861a9.jpg (47.61 KB, 369x407)
Attached: 5e2e6b152509bfb7097a16a6b18eef858dccc34302a5aa1fd7f98c221304242e.jpg (3.71 KB, 160x160)

Bentley Martin
Bentley Martin

every 7 branched candle holder is a menorah
Tiggro, please.

Grayson Edwards
Grayson Edwards

Lol you dont know latin?

Josiah Rivera
Josiah Rivera

This video is good even though I wouldn't endorse everything from them.

Anthony Foster
Anthony Foster

we love jews, we are supposed to love our enemies

Connor King
Connor King

It wasn't encouraged to hate jews, but you weren't expected to pretend they dindu nuffin, and the Church was far, far wiser to their tricks.

Dylan Gonzalez
Dylan Gonzalez

Honestly, I’m Orthodox and even I’m tired of Luther bashing. It has nothing to do with the thread. To have the main liturgics of Mass done in the vanacular was the Vatican’s own idea, Luther just happened to come up with something similar first.

Brandon Moore
Brandon Moore

Plus the handshaking is gross and disgusting as well. Some people come to mass and are really filthy, coughing, homeless, etc. All you can think about is washing your hand afterwards.

And yet, Christ washed the filthy feet of sinners. Really makes you think.

Owen Robinson
Owen Robinson

Yeah, he WASHED them, he didn't play footsie with them.

Jaxson Murphy
Jaxson Murphy

The Mass isn't about you or the people in the pews. It isn't for your entertainment and it's irrelevant whether or not you understand the words being said
Honest question: What is the mass about?

Daniel Morgan
Daniel Morgan

The Mass is a sacrifice. The literal sacrifice of Jesus Christ to God.

Lucas Hernandez
Lucas Hernandez

If it was used specifically as a special, liturgical language, I guess it, for exactly this reason, would indeed become a sacred language; ways of celebrating liturgy other than the Latin, Roman one exist in the Catholic Church, and the people who use these other ways use other langauges than Latin for this purpose.

Aiden Brown
Aiden Brown

That's blasphemous and abominable

John Ramirez
John Ramirez

lol OK you dumb Protestant. Literally no-one worshipped Jesus correctly until the 15th century, that makes perfect sense.

Adam Baker
Adam Baker

At the Crucifixion, the Son offered Himself to the Father for the forgiveness of mankind's sins. The very same sacrifice is what happens at the Mass; it is the same event cutting through time and space.

Angel Barnes
Angel Barnes

now THIS is protestantism!

Attached: DbHR9cvUMAE-Th3.jpg (66.54 KB, 720x700)

Sebastian Brooks
Sebastian Brooks

Never fails to amaze me that anyone finds this "argument" weighty considering it's literally just a baseless assertion by people who generally don't even know their own church's history past vatican 2
I've heard it before pal, I ain't buyin it. Not even going to bother explaining why it's false because the only response I've ever received is to repeat the initial statement

Jonathan Gonzalez
Jonathan Gonzalez

It's pathetic to think that Latin has a special place in Christianity because the biblical languages are only Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

Luke Morgan
Luke Morgan

So you have arrived at a truth that has eluded every Catholic and Orthodox theologian who has ever lived over the last 2000 years? Wow. That's definitely more likely than that the devil has used your own pride to blind you and trick you into damning yourself.

Mason Morris
Mason Morris

stupid goyim, literally no-one worshipped God correctly until some man started spewing blasphemy around 20 A.D, that makes perfect sense.

Thomas Baker
Thomas Baker

Wow homophobe, you're anti-gay? Looks like you've been blinded by your own pride and bigotry into thinking you're wiser than every Catholic and Orthodox theologian who've lived for the past 2,000 years

Josiah Allen
Josiah Allen

Christianity doesn't claim that Old Testament worship was incorrect. The opposite actually. The sacrifice of Christ is the completion of the sacrifices instituted in the Old Testament which renders the previous sacrificial law obsolete because it is a more perfect form of it.

What? No Catholic or Orthodox theologian has ever been pro-gay.

William Taylor
William Taylor

What? No Catholic or Orthodox theologian has ever been pro-gay.

Attached: over-your-head.jpg (15.33 KB, 500x681)

Adam Carter
Adam Carter

You were unsuccessful in making whatever point you think you were trying to make.

Lincoln Evans
Lincoln Evans

No, you're just too daft

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit