The Last Temptation of Christ?

Is this a good film? Is the book worth reading?

Attached: 51mb TKRzqL._SY445_.jpg (318x445, 37.36K)

No.

You should read your Bible instead.

I found the film to be quite reverent, and a good deal more serious in tone than most of the limply insipid life of Christ classics directed by homo Italian master directors of the Vatican II years

If you watch the film to the very end, then it's fine. The last temptation is that of wife and family, but Jesus eventually rejects that temptation and fulfills his duty on the cross. Most people think it's the "omg Jesus got married" story, but that's not entirely accurate. Jesus was tempted, there is no refuting that.

The book is pretty much the same and comes with all kinds of disclaimers that the kvetching haters never bothered to read.

I have read this many other times. On this score, it seems quite orthodox – unconventional, but orthodox – for who doesn't believe Jesus was tempted, and who doesn't believe He was being tempted right up until the last moment on the Cross? After all, the devil needed Him off and alive, and there's no denying Christ could have freed Himself (pic somewhat related)

So, I am left wondering why so many protested this film when it came out. What else am I missing from it?

Attached: muscular-jesus-breaking-cross.jpg (500x725, 45.32K)

Also .. pic related

Attached: son-of-smug.jpg (500x273, 50.06K)

It portrays Jesus as a sinner who eventually grows to become the Christ, which is heretical. He literally starts out as using his carpenter skills to make crucifixes for the Romans to execute others. It also, like other heretical trash (I'm looking at you "Jesus Christ Superstar"), attempts to portray Judas in a sympathetic light.

Avoid.

I can't agree with that.
A sinner for building the crosses? Well Judas thought so, because Judas was sympathizing with the insurrectionist Jews. Jesus isn't in that camp, though; if anything he's too overwhelmed with sadness for the people involved. Is this not something you could imagine the Lord feeling, given the circumstances?
I guess you could say he comes off as weak for the first part of the film, but once he accepts his ministry that's all out the window. And yeah, Judas gets pumped because he thinks Jesus is in his partisan camp now and they're going to deus vult fight the Romans. Once it becomes apparent that Jesus will not be suborned to their political agenda, Judas turns all 8/pol and abandons him, and then the film allows Jesus to feel the sadness over the loss of an old friend. The movie hammers home his humanity, at every turn. In my estimation it makes you fully appreciate that someone who felt relatable human weakness, sadness, and insecurity could have such strength of will to persevere.

If you think Judas is the good guy, I think you're missing the point.

I actually watched it right before my rebirth and I liked it, but it's literally Heresy the Movie.
Unless you're a film student, maybe you should skip this one.

Don't forget the best Pontius Pilate.

Daaaamn forgot David Bowie was in it.

Kinda weird not seeing David Bowie without some weird outfit…

I agree on Jesus Christ Superstar. Ends with sad music (titled after a verse describing Jesus dead in his tomb) and Jesus literally screaming, while at least Godspell IMPLIES the Resurrection.
nothing can ever beat vid related tho

Not an argument.

A sinner for building implements of execution, even as one's conscience torments them? Yes. Your conscience is the voice of God. When you're panged by your conscience, that's God literally telling you that you are doing something wrong. Jesus was sinless; in other words, he literally did nothing wrong. That is part of the entire point of his coming to earth: to be a perfect sinless sacrifice to pay for our sins. For him to start out as a sinner, and then repent, is pure heresy.

And yes, Judas is painted in a sympathetic light. In the Bible, he's a sanctimonious thief (i.e. whining about Jesus's feet getting expensive perfume rubbed on them, while he himself was scrapping off the top for himself from the funds for the poor) who ultimately betrays Jesus for money. In "The Last Temptation of Christ" he ultimately "betrays" Jesus to the Romans in order to help him undergo his destiny on the cross.

Face it: it's heresy, plain and simple.

I wouldn't build a theology around the film, but basically this.

The truth is that all films of the life of Christ only show one or two sides of Christ. For some, it is Jesus' servant heart, for others it is Jesus' divinity, yet others it is the teacher. Last Temptation focuses heavily on Jesus in His humanity (at the expense of His divinity). His humanity is often ignored in films on His life, so I am sympathetic to the goal of Last Temptation. It's not perfect by any stretch and was clearly made by atheists, but certainly not worth molotov cocktailing a theatre over.

This isn't helping the case for this film.

Except Jesus was never tempted to do that. Why would he in the first place? He already as billions of children and already has a Bride.

The Vatican said the movie was shit and heretical though.
Its on par with the jesus superstar crap.

I don't get Hollywood shit always trying to make jesus lusting for women, specially when they blaspheme the name of the Lord and of St. Mary Magdalene.
winnie the pooh faggots. Aren't this guys afraid of the consequences?

This film is not based upon the Gospels but upon this fictional exploration of the eternal spiritual conflict

I think Kazantzakis used some of Josephus's depictions of him. Remember also that Pilate was recalled to Rome for his cruelty.

I feel kinda on the fence about it. It's basically the prodigal son parable restructured to be about the life of Christ. The creators (both Kazantzakis, writer of the book, and Scorsese, director of the movie) made it because of their own relationship to Christianity. It's not an accurate depiction of the life of Christ and it's not intended to be, but I don't know how blasphemous that is to use Christ's life in such a manner. I hated the depiction of Paul, but I loved Mary Magdeline, Satan (best movie Satan ever in my opinion), and Pilate. It's a good movie on it's own, but I'm not too sure about how Christians should feel about it

You guys should watch The Prestige

They should feel challenged in a positive way, I'd say.

this film looks awful

Then why name those people Jesus, Peter, John etc.
They could have just given them different names.
Oh boy if they did someone with Muhammad every Muslim in the world would flip out and the normies would support them.

That's called "lying".

Btw there was no spiritual conflict in Jesus. Both of his wills work together.

Which gospel tells the story of the last temptation? None. It explicitly states that it is not an accurate life of Jesus, but is merely using his life as a setting for spiritual conflict. That notice is good because it clarifies what the movie is, it would be bad if it didn’t have that disclaimer, because then people might actually think it actually is the accurate story of Jesus

It’s the spiritual conflict in all people, between Earth and Heaven, between the soul and the flesh, between God and Satan. It’s the story of the prodigal son

in other words, basing it on his life as told in the gospels. basing. based on the gospels.

Okay, find me the gospel it is based on and I’ll recant, which should be an easy task for you given that there are only four gospels to choose from. But I’m pretty sure it’s a fictional story that only uses the life of Christ as a symbol for the human spiritual struggle

It's a good movie but not really "Christian" and it's about as heretical as it gets.

Attached: B83D375B-BF83-41C6-B7A4-AB8A591502DB.jpeg (355x317 423.26 KB, 28.42K)

But Jesus is the complete opposite of the prodigal son.
About the disclaimer people do you really think people would read it? What matters it's the message of the movie that will stick into people's head.
I could make the most blasphemous movie about Christ, purposely made so people would think ill about him and knowing that people without a solid faith could fall, but everything would be ok if I put a 5 second disclaimer in the beggning saying the movie was bullshit?

How do you know? The Bible says Jesus was tempted in every way we are yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15).

>

No it's no irrelevant. And Jesus is wholly distinct from the Father. The Father created the world THROUGH the Son. Stop preaching heresy anathema to you!

Yes, people would read the disclaimer that appears at the beginning of the movie. It’s not some separate release, it’s the first scene
As for the other question, no. It depends on the content of the movie. If it insults Jesus, no disclaimer will work. If it is about the Christian struggle and uses a fictionalized life of Jesus as an image for it, then a disclaimer absolutely works to make sure people don’t get confused

Also (and I don’t know if this is an Zig Forums issue or a problem with my machine) but I keep getting told to solve the capcha when I make new posts when in the middle of posting, then seeing my id is changed. For clarification, I’ll just let anons in this thread know that

Are all me and should have the same id

I know that lad. I was saying it wasn't I was trying to argue.

In order to clear any doubt my words may have caused, I believe wholeheartedly in what the Catholic Church teaches and I submit entirely to her doctrine.
Far from me from spreading heresy.

PS: if my words cause any doubt or something I apologise since it wasn't my intention.
Modalism is a stupid heresy which I reject entirely.

It's gotta be you. Are you using a VPN or are you phoneposting? Both of those can cause what's happening to you.