Is the Community of Christ Christian?

Hey guys anyone see the Mormon thread last night? I know it got deleted which is good but it got me thinking. Is the Community of Christ (Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) Christians? Because unlike members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the RLDS actually believe in the orthodox Trinity but they also believe Joseph Smith Jr. was a prophet and in the Book of Mormon.

They formed in the succession crisis of the early Mormon movement. The Mormons who followed Brigham Young became the mainstream LDS Church, but the Mormons who believed only a relative of Smith could succeed him follow Joseph Smith Jr's son Joseph Smith III and they formed the RLDS/Community of Christ.

So is the Community of Christ Christian Mormons, but the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints non-Christian Mormons?

Attached: P1050478.JPG (2400x1800, 452.03K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/01/women-lgbt-mormons-community-of-christ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't know much about them. Trinitarianism is a good foot forward though. Do they recognize Joseph Smith's other writings other than the book of Mormon? BoM isn't actually all that bad and most of the actual heresy in Mormonism is in the later writings.

This is taken from their website
What do we believe?
God
Jesus Christ
The Holy Spirit
Creation
Humanity
Sin
Salvation
The Church
Revelation

Scripture
Sacraments
Discipleship
Ministry
The Reign of God
Peace
Resurrection and Eternal Life
Judgment
End Time

We Proclaim Jesus Christ

Scripture in Community of Christ

Sacraments
Baptism
Confirmation
The Lord’s Supper (Communion)
Ordination

Blessing of Children
Laying on of Hands for the Sick
Marriage
Evangelist Blessing

The Book of Mormon is just a fairy tale. Where there is actual history that backs up the Bible, no archaeological evidence has ever backed up anything in the Book of Mormon. I would steer clear.

(this was all a lot longer than I thought it would be)
Based on this, they seem pretty solid. Obviously posters will have some objections, but they seem to have no beliefs that aren't common to most protestant denoms allowed on this board, the only belief they have that's really out there is the inclusion of the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants among their scripture. I would never convert, but I think they'd be allowed on this board. They're definitely Christian.

That's true, I even made that point in the LDS thread yesterday. The Book of Mormon is an outright impossibility

kek their succession crisis sounds like the shi'a sunni split

So they’re Mormon Shiites?

The whole Mormon movement is strikingly similar to Islam.

Yes and no, since the shiites are the more orthodox in this case. But, indeed, it was a funny comparison.

The question remains however, who is their Israel?

Attached: 8019a5dadd6765a5ed8e74ec06b6db1b6147a08002f9e74d9dc489f2a49f7194.jpg (467x322, 27.14K)

Not only are they Mormon lite, they’re liberals. They accept gay marrage.

google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/01/women-lgbt-mormons-community-of-christ

Wow, can't believe I wasted my time going through their beliefs as if they were sincere. I should have known Satan was hiding somewhere

Native American reservations, God gave the land to Mormons!

The fact they said “two people” and not “a man and a woman” in the marriage section should have been a give away.

Not convinced about this … since Zig Forums pwnd them meaning it was clear what Christians think … but I suppose they did break the rules

#notChristian
They're adding to the Word of God expressly against God's exhortation in Revelations. The book of Mormon is not some innocuous "Ten steps to being a better Christian", it contains errant theology and history, and it – worse yet – claims to be from God via some angel.
You follow the book of mormon, you're mormon.

That said, perhaps God will be more merciful with them. Who can say. Nevertheless, I would stay away

What's their view on sufficiency? That is key.

This is a novelty. Christianity has firm doctrine.

Overall, reading through their statements, I would not recommend joining them, but I would consider them Christian. I want to see them name, explicitly, the persons of the Trinity. I'd view them in the same bin as Seventh Day Adventists and other Restorationists - all kinds of doctrinal issues but Christian.

So basically Mormonism can be Christian in certain circumstances but not others? What exactly IS Mormonism then? Should we limit it only to LDS? But RLDS claim to be Mormons of a different denomination than LDS. FLDS claim the same, Strangite LDS claim the same, etc. What is Mormonism?

You're going about it backwards - Christianity can have some tarnishing of error and still be Christianity. Seventh Day Adventists, for example, believe in the prophesy of Ellen G White (who was not a prophet) and have all kinds of beliefs about lifestyle and health but are still Christian.

Now, you have to know God to do this. It's easy to put up an idol. That's why doctrines of the Trinity and basic soteriology are so critical.

It's not that Mormonism can be Christian, it's that Christianity can survive some stain of Mormonism.

Why would you even consider it in the first place? You know Mormonism is a cult so why bother with it's derivatives.

The giveaway is in the first line of their statement of belief
Pay attention to

This SCREAMS cult - "we're Christians, look at all these Christian beliefs we hold… by the way this isn't all we believe but if you want to know more then you have to join us"

Their belief statement is designed to lure would-be Christians by deception, and once they've reeled you in they'll pump your brain full of heresy and blasphemy. Satan isn't hiding, Satan is right there in the beginning of their message