Converting from the denomination of your family

I was raised Southern Baptist. After much research, I can no longer get behind much of what the denomination believes/supports. I believe Mary is to be venerated and I believe that portrayals of the Lord Christ are not to be condemned; I'm thinking of converting to SSPX. However, I don't want to break the news to my family, particularly my staunchly Baptist grandparents. I love them, but I also will always have problems with the SBC. Do you have experience with anything similar? I appreciate your responses.

Attached: bf.jpg (236x309, 17.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sbc.net/bfm2000/bfm2000.asp
orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_solascriptura.aspx)
theamericanconservative.com/articles/why-millennials-long-for-liturgy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mary is to be venerated in what way?

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23. Faith in Jesus Christ is what counts. What exactly do they do that you dislike? Be specific. (btw I don't follow them, just wondering)

For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. - Matthew 10:35

You're being led into the truth of apostolic faith by Christ. Your family may disapprove or even freak out a little bit. They may ask you loaded questions and try to prevent you from doing this. It will be hard, but if they truly love you they will grow to accept it in time. If you aren't ready for that, proceed with your conversion privately. When the time is right, make sure you're prepared for their questions and treat them with the utmost respect when discussing it.

Another tip: don't put things off until later if you don't have an SSPX parish nearby. Start the process of converting wherever you can, you can always go to whatever mass you want once you're baptized and confirmed. Pray for the Blessed Virgin's intercession often, I recommend praying the Rosary every day. God bless you brother, do not be afraid. Christ is guiding you.

Attached: Dm3xNtVX4AE-KmL.jpg (900x1203, 307.13K)

Not worshipped, but she is the mother of Christ, and (where I'm from) she's seen as almost inconsequential… I just don't feel that is right, never did. Modern Catholicism has too many problems, and Orthodoxy is interesting, but I feel it's not for me + seems to be more of a country/community deal. SSPX is essentially old-school (non-Vatican II) Catholicism, which I am aligned with. I hope I don't sound like a cafeteria Christian, the main issue for me is philosophical differences. If someone can help me understand Purgatory/Hail Mary/Papal Infallibility (not that I don't understand that, I just want to know when it counts and when it does not) I'd be grateful.

They support the people who abused Christ fervently. They don't care about Mary. I recall Ted Cruz saying that Arab Christians are "not real Christians" even though their faith has endured under brutal Islamic rule. They're just a sanctimonious group of people… It feels like some treat it as a dating convention rather than a place to be with the Lord. Mary in particular is strangely contentious; most Catholics (from what I've noted) do not "worship" Mary–rather, they tell her to pray for them if they cannot currently.

Thank you friend. I'd give you a proper response, but I'm heading to bed now.

Oh, and they also believe in circumcision.

Don't write off the FSSP and ICKSP, they also offer the Latin mass exclusively and from what I've read run fantastic traditional parishes.

Attached: the virgin adoring the christ cild with two saints.jpeg (4176x5360, 11.32M)

Attached: uh huh.png (194x299, 83.24K)

Ehhhh I'm going to have some bad news for you but "SSPX" is not a denomination.
If you decide to become a tradcath you'll STILL get the whole package, pope included.

“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” -Matthew 10:37

If your family is in heresy and you must choose between family and Christ the answer is obvious.

Lateral move.

What's the difference between Southern Baptist and Northern Baptist?

One is against sodomy and female pastors and one is for them.

My dad lost it when I started going to Latin mass, the reaction was bizarre and I got so much crap from everyone that I eventually gave up for a time. Nobody in my family cared when I was an atheist, but Catholicism was too far.

What were his complaints about it? His Religious background?

Attached: Easymodotime.webm (1280x720, 3.82M)

He's a Calvinist, but now I know his deep rooted prejudice against Catholicism is because of his libertarian americanist worldview.

You're talking about Boomers of any denomination. That's a generational cancer that we'll have to suffer for another 20-30 years before it can be excised.

Show me in the Bible where it says that happens or that people should pray to anyone besides God.

Why do you think I'm being disingenuous?

I know that… but it's part and parcel of my belief. If anyone is wondering why I'm not Orthodox it's because I find kissing the paintings of Christ/Mary to be a bizzare practice. If someone can explain the why (not that I haven't read on the subject, I just cannot wrap my head around it) I'd be glad.

How so?

They're Conservative with a capital C.

I fear this is how my parents will react. They know that the SBC totally abstracted me from Christ, but I sincerely doubt they'll bless anything but a Baptist denomination.

Southern Baptists: Extremely traditionalist Protestants angry at Catholics.
SSPX: Extremely traditionalist Protestants angry at Catholics.

Lateral move.

Well, ultimately, the reasons are very different.

My family is southern baptist. I am a southern baptist seminarian.
My brother married a catholic and became a full Latin mass papist.
My mother has cried over it for a long time and it will be a point of contention until we all die.
I would encourage you to wait before making any decisions, especially if you're college age or younger and your ideas on catholicism came from this website.

Where did you hear that this is a southern baptist issue?

Do you know all the points you disagree with the BFM? I'd be interested to hear it

The biggest issue is a difference in the gospel, which you can not compromise on. Baptists are anti-sacramental, salvation comes by faith alone after praying a sinner's prayer, and you can not lose salvation. Catholics are sacramental, salvation comes by participation in those sacramental ceremonies, and you can lose salvation.

Attached: fbcwacoglass.jpg (1200x670, 234.6K)

It isn't? My family always makes jokes about Christ being portrayed as a "hippie"–just like Steven Anderson. Baptists don't support portrayals of the Lord. Find me a SB church with a picture of Christ… I don't think you can.
Mainly that their interpretation of the Bible can trump anyone elses. The anti-creedal nature leads to a hodgepodge of bible-thumpers and also people that treat church as a place to meet singles. I've noticed they will interpret literally/non-literally depending on the point they're making. The autonomous/decentralized nature seems like a plus, but it leads to milquetoast pastors.
The Baptist view viscerally never made sense to me. I know God is the most merciful, but if we turn away from Him, I believe we have Hell waiting for us.

More accurately, mainly that a person's interpretation of the Bible can trump anyone elses.

The stained glass I shared is from First Baptist Waco

The BFM is the confessional document of the SBC: sbc.net/bfm2000/bfm2000.asp
I was wondering about doctrinal disagreements. It's sounding more like you're dissatisfied with some aspects you've seen of practicing southern baptists. Why would this require you become Catholic?

If I told you that I think Jesus was a woman, what would you say?

I know, those are actually my only real points of contention, I'm okay with their views on marriage and what have you. The BFM is not a "radical" document so I'd be suspicious of anyone that loathes it… and I guess it wouldn't "require" me converting to Catholicism, but my disagreements on Mary, creeds, and sacrament are not compatible with the Baptist belief, correct?
And I got a bit ahead of myself there. My church only had a large wooden cross, there was no other meaningful religious imagery. My bad.

The first thing that comes to mind is, of course, "the Son of God".

Are you telling me that my interpretation of the Bible is wrong?

You will only convert from one wrong denomination to another. Become Orthodox if you want to be saved.

The one on the left is Borromeo but who is the one on the right?

the filioque is a non-issue
"one", "catholic"

I was brought up Baptist but from my teens - to young adulthood I labeled myself agnostic. I want to regain some form of spirituality but I don't know which denomination to choose. Can anyone recommend some good reading and maybe point me in a good direction? Thanks and bless you all.

The mods of this board literally tell lies about people and publically use the lies to slander and attack others. This is a fact. They arent christian they are liars and slanderous to the point of larp pagan you've all been warned. This is fact swear on my 5 bibles.,, jjj

Read the Summa contra Gentiles

I actually know someone who is extremely traditionally minded who went from southern Baptist to Catholic, not just a ROMAboo either he loves the Eastern Rite and Eastern Orthodoxy as well. It happens. I personally went from an atheist family to practicing Catholic which is one of the rarest statistical outliers, the majority of Catholic converts in the west are from other Christian denominations.

You don't pray to them. You pray for them. You pray to God for the forgiveness of their sins so they can leave purgatory faster and enter heaven.

He's challenging the intercession of dead saints, not praying for souls in the supposed purgatory

I'm in a similar situation right now… my story is pretty typical:
I'm thinking I might just delete all my social media after making the transition and kinda go "off the grid" in that regard.
I'll just have to keep praying on it as time goes on. In the meantime, I'll keep studying the Church and perhaps try learning basic Russian.

There might be something more at play here. What the stark turn? From a Baptist straight to a Catholic? The things you mentioned aren't even the main things that divide protestants and Catholics. In fact, I'm a Presbyterian and have no issues with icons. I only disagree with depictions of the Father.

Give it some more time before you make such a rash decision.

Mary is a big one. I remember reading about the Saint that met Mary. He said: if I didn't know Christ was the Lord, I would have thought she was. She has such grace/humility and the Baptist view of her doesn't sit well with me at all. Evangelicals have always been a bit daft… "Evangelicalism is a seemingly large and influential religious body, but it lacks an institutional center, intellectual coherence, and devotional direction." "Combine two cups of inerrancy, one cup of conversion, and a pinch of doctrinal affirmations; form into a patchwork of parachurch agencies, religious celebrities, and churches; season with peppy music professionally performed; and bake every generation."–Darryl Hart quotes. Sola Scriptura is wrong to me (orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_solascriptura.aspx) the only "rationalist" I can get behind is Aquinas… and while I do believe Scripture is infallible, there is more to Christianity than Scripture. I believe that, left to your own devices, most people will (unconsciously or not) twist the Bible to fit their beliefs.

What are Old Princeton, Fuller, DTS, every SBC seminary, the ETS?

Well, my family is made up of wayward reformed and Buddhists. This isn't hard at all to walk away from.

The thing is, I could never hate/exile myself from them. I pray for their eyes to be opened.

Ok, why's that?

What does it matter what a Saint said. Stick with the Bible and if anything is in contrast to it then deny it.

Do you know what evangelicalism is? It's more of a transdenominational movement and you can carry it wherever you go. As for a center, another user already addressed this here:
But out unity comes from the Bible.

As for the authority of the Bible, it's very scriptural and axiomatic. Even Christ believed in the superiority of the Bible. And to say that the Bible isn't everything Christianity is about is just contradict the Bible.

This is the boat that I’m in, did not know this, thank you user.

Non-denom.
Fight me.

Your post reminded me of Fr. Barnabas Powell. He grew up Baptist/Evangelical and ended up becoming an Orthodox priest. Of course he lost some friends and family when he converted, but when you love Christ you have to put Him before everything. Anyway, I just think it's interesting how his theology is Orthodox, yet he retains much of his old 'style' of preaching.

All of the issues you cited are side issues, and your changing beliefs on them do not warrant becoming Catholic. There are plenty of Baptists (myself included) who honor Mary the blessed Theotokos, and permit the display of Christs likeness.

Attached: Baptist.png (721x1000 494 B, 280.62K)

Hi OP, you're absolutely doing the right thing following your heart and answering where God has called you to. He knows better than your family and even knows better than you. Also remember that ALL of the apostles and earliest Christians were all called to leave the Jewish religion of their ancestors to be followers of Christ. So you are in good company in the struggle you find yourself facing.

I can also relate heavily to what you're going through. I myself grew up Catholic, a descendant of a long line of Catholic priests, but strayed from the church (mostly due to my mom's perennialism) for over 16 years. When I returned, it was through non-denominational protestantism.

When I told my dad, he was happy I was going to church again, but was visibly displeased over it being the protestant church. This left me feeling very confused, and uncertain if I should return to the tradition of my family and ancestors. The matter was further complicated by my baptsit girlfriend (soon to be fiance'). I decided to research all denoms with an open heart and open mind and find the one that I could best serve the Lord through, and not what was convenient or what my family wanted.

I eventually chose high Lutheranism to commit to 100%, and it was clear God had a heavy hand in bringing me to the Lutheran church I know serve at joyfully. However, I do still feel great remorse and disdain knowing that I am excommunicated by the church of my family and can no longer receive communion at the Catholic church I love so dearly.

tl;dr, you did the right thing, you must obey God's call regardless of familial tradition as the early Christians all did, you will always feel conflict, but God's word must guide you.

Sending them this article may help: theamericanconservative.com/articles/why-millennials-long-for-liturgy/

One more thing - cite Romans 14. All must obey their conscious regarding spiritual matters. You must respect theirs, and they must respect yours. If they give you any trouble, lean hard on Romans 14.

I am kinda in the same situation as well, but not for Cathodoxism (their view on justification/sanctification is demonstrably, apostolically false) rather for the reformed crowd.

Bump. I am still conflicted, but I have contacted a priest. I decided to go the Catholic and not "tradcath" route for now.

Good job lads. Really outdoing yourselves

*ahem*
winnie the pooh catholics

Attached: 1544201014492.png (16x16, 314)

I feel bad for you

As a former Baptist, I'm in a similar boat as you; after months of research and contemplation, I'm going to visit my local Catholic Church for the first time tomorrow. I have considered the Traditional Catholic and Orthodox Churches, however I'd only be attending them for my own selfish reasons (e.g. "they're more traditional") more than anything else. Hopefully I don't look like an autist by wearing a suit to Church, as I'm guessing most young men today don't.

Proceed with caution. I took the Orthodox route and I also lucked out in the grandparents area - they got into an accident unfortunately, and I seized the aftermath and begame Orthodox.

Just be prepared, memorize scriptural passages supporting your choice. Highlighting the importance of the Saints, the existence of Apostolic tradition, the fact The Church is the GROUND AND PILLAR OF TRUTH. You just have to say it all in a tactful, respectful and lovingly way. While also deconstructing Protestantism and the solas.

It's a struggle. Persevere. Pray frequently. Pray a lot. Know that God hears your prayers. Ask God to guide towards the best path. Things will work out. Just remember - to the hilt. Make up your mind, and go with it. But no matter what, don't compromise. Compromising will leave you in a miserable place.

(keked)
Verily! Come home roman brothers and sisters. Begome!

Attached: 30f6ab8c0a0022abfc4df9d727c83828.jpg (220x411 96.86 KB, 30.33K)

Rude… and why?

Good luck friend. And yes, I'll shamefully admit that part of why I stopped researching Orthodoxy was all the Hyperdox Herman LARPers who are drawn to the faith because it's exotic. Now, I don't feel there's much wrong with the faith unlike, say, Evangelicalism. And I'd like to add, since we are on Zig Forums I genuinely believe all the Orthodox Christians here are devout and practice their religion.

I already had the talk with them. My mother was receptive and even said she'll attend church with me sometime. My father on the other hand starting cussing at me and then left the house.

Thank you. I got back from Mass just a little bit ago, and while it wasn't quite what I expected (people talking to each other during the service, constant crying from toddlers, the priest being less involved than I thought he'd be, etc.), it was otherwise a pleasant experience. There was a surprising mix of young, middle-aged, and elderly people there, and none of them scantily dressed, tattooed, or having dyed hair thankfully (a common sight at my old modernist church). Some of the traditions I witnessed I didn't quite understand, but I will in due time.
Yeah, that turned me off too. While I consider myself very conservative and have great respect for the Orthodox Church, I don't think I'd be caught dead walking into an Orthodox Church and risk being mistaken for one of the many ex-pagans converts flooding the Church in search of a new LARP. I generally agree with Catholic theology more than I do the Orthodox anyway.
That's a shame. Really, the Catholic Church I attended today reminded me somewhat of my childhood Baptist church, minus the ceremonial/traditional aspects of it of course. I can't help but believe that anti-Catholic sentiments derive from pure ignorance.

What do you identify as wrong in Evangelicalism?

I also just got back, I found it to be a great experience.
Yep, I was surprised too, most of the people clearly followed the tenets of Catholicism. But then again, most so-called "Christians" don't even go to Church on Sundays.
Agreed.

The history of the Apostolic Church…

Infallibility counts when a pope expressly uses a certain formula to proclaim a dogma. Here's an example of an infallible proclamation, from the proclamation of the dogma of the Assumption of our Lady:

The pope is not infallible when he says 'chicken is the best tasting food.

As for purgatory, it is seen as cleansing before you enter Heaven because you have to enter Heaven spotless, here are some example from the Bible:

Hail Mary is just a supplication to our Lady to pray for us. I mean, you love your mother and you would surely listen to her if she suggested you help someone, I would imagine Christ does the same. Because of that I would think it's ridiculous when protestants claim that our Lady is just like any other dead person in Heaven. Christ was fully human and loved His mother just as any of us. In many visions where our Lady appeared she said to the seers that many times she has to hold back our Lord from exacting judgment upon us because He is angry because of so much sin.

I highly recommend you go to an SSPX church and not a Novus Ordo. Novus Ordo masses distort the mass's sacrifice. The priests are either heretics and even the best of them are poorly formed. Lex Orandi, Lex credendi.

Basically Protestant.

Better than submitting to an anti-pope

Hoo boy …

I never said I was sedevacantist…

lol

Glad to hear it user! It's my understanding that I wouldn't realistically be able to become a Catholic until Easter 2020, so I'll most likely attend Mass and meditate on this decision for the next few weeks before contacting the Church about RCIA. I found pic related on my parish's FB page and zero trace of virtue signaling, so that's a good sign I think.

Oops, forgot the pic.

Attached: 1346643.jpg (411x312, 39.07K)

Why not become Orthodox?

?

I've also found a great church; I wish you the best for the future!

*begome

Presumably user has not heard of any nearby. That said, if you just look, it's fairly easy to find one. The church I'm going to now was right under my nose for much of my life until I found it again. Liveliest congregation I've ever seen, plenty of children and a proper atmosphere.