What is the general consensus about the Old Testament?

Should it be something that we should completely ignore and not read?
Should it be something that we should read for context and evolution of the faith ? (The transition from Old Testament to New Testament)
Or should it be something that we should take seriously in our faith and take spiritual lessons from it ?
I've never read the bible (not yet) but my general comprehension is that the Old Testament is the exclusive Jewish Supremacist race book with some quiet barbaric, supremacist and evil "morals". However, the God is the same God as the one from the New Testament (of course). So..What is the consensus here? Only read the New Testament and maybe read the Old Testament for context,evolution and comparison ?

Attached: Pokkels.jpg (484x557, 94.58K)

OT STILL STANDS

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven.“
Matthew 5:17-20

“Wisdom is the book of God's commandments, the Law that will last forever. All who hold onto her will live, but those who abandon her will die.”
Baruch 4:1

“For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.“
Romans 15:4

OT = canon
NT = what Christians follow

Attached: Screenshot_20181226-145334.png (1080x1920, 305.44K)

Are you baiting?

Old Testament is inspired, holy scripture. New Testament is inspired, holy scripture. End of story.
It's not a good idea to read the OT independantly of what the gospels say and of what life in the Church is like, but then the same applies for the NT.

Much of the OT is prefiguring Christ, if you're willing to look.

That's what Zig Forums would say because they're retarded.

OT and NT are one. OT is filled with wisdom, and both OT and NT are about Christ.

I wrote that fast, I now realize how it could be blasphemous. Both are Scripture but most of what we follow (at least, what I grew up believing) are the gospels of Christ.

That’s a meme spread by people who either haven’t read it or who read as far as numbers than gave up. Jesus provides a summary arguing for a non-supremacist view in Luke 4

I think I know what you mean.
Both Testaments are extremely closely related.
As St. Augustine said it (look at this too OP ):

Yep. If everyone were smart enough to understand Augustine and Aquinas the world would be a much better (and less aggravating) place.

There's quite a few parts of the OT that are hard to swallow for me. And I'm not talking about supernatural elements and miracles, I'm talking about things like numbers of people. It reads like parts were originally written with hundreds and thousands and got changed by later scribes to hundred thousand and millions.
Cities and kings not allowing 10,000 jews exodusing to pass through their land on the road sounds like they could've been more accommodating, 2 million sounds like a horde of locusts. How the hell would you even stop them if you were a kingdom of 15,000 people? Battles between impossibly large armies for the time, ten of thousands of tonnes of gold for a tribute, etc. And it's all just boasting, later writers (because scrolls disintegrate and have to be rewritten every few decades if you're using them) thinking bigger numbers would sound more impressive.
So while I might look at the morals and foreshadowing and view it as inspired, I don't take everything word for word. Men are fallible. The limited, oldest copies aren't much older than the NT but cover prior millennia. With the NT we have hundreds of copies of epistles from with a few decades of the original being written, all saying the same thing.

It's the other half of your bible. Your religion. (not sola scriptura)

Right, Christ said that he came to FULFILL the prophecy, not to throw the OT out.

Whenever I think about Aquinas/Augustine, it makes me sad that atheists won't even read a page of their work.

Trips of truth. They were two of the greatest logicians the white race has ever produced. I am very logical myself and a computer scientist, but I also like reasoning through philosophy and religion and it fills me with joy that I can consult their works to find better expressed arguments for things I already figured out on my own.

Augustine was from North Africa. Not sure he was white exactly. If Algerians are the same as he was.
That said, a lot of the fathers were keen on this. Especially since they contended with Gnosticism, which saw the OT as a bad thing and taught it was a different God. The Church fathers from all circles set out to show Christ in every bit of scripture. I wish more modern commentaries would use this method. It's completely absent, and commentary is usually just full of background "factoids" these days.

He*… blaspheming twice in one thread, not a good sign…

What blasphemy? I don't get it.

More of a joke, I didn't capitalize he.

Augustine was a Berber. Berbers are genetically diverse (some have white skin, blonde hair and green eyes and some have dark skin, black dreadlocks and brown eyes, most are somewhere in between) but they're generally put in the same category as semitic races (Arabs, Hebrews, etc).
I mean, I'm a Berber. I'm generally recognized as a white person (although people think I'm an Arab when I let my beard and hair grow) and I don't have a problem with that, but literally everyone in my family is from North Africa. The idea of a "white race" alone is flawed since even white Europeans are genetically diverse, but if it even extends to North Africans it doesn't mean much anymore at this point, does it?

Reading Nehemiah 9 should be a must for every new born, so to give them an overarching picture of the OT, and have the correct attitude of our Father.

Anti-OT is Anti-Christ

He was probably a Roman

He was from the Roman aristocracy and North Africa was whiter before muslim conquest
Are all of these blue? Is "the blue color" flawed because of internal variation?

Attached: blue.jpeg (600x450, 57.42K)

A Christian without the Old Testament is like a husband without his wife. Incomplete.

Ah, I was under the impression that Augustine and Cyprian of Carthage were both Berbers. I take back what I said then.

Roman citizen became civil privilege over time. Even St. Paul, a Jew from the Turkish/Asian Minor disaspora, was a Roman citizen. And that was already in the 1st century. And his mother, St. Monica, has a name that's more Phoenician in origin apparently (and also was from North Africa).

So no more pork?

Lets not eat pork because some sheep herders in the desert were told not to most likely because of parasites specific to that location, but who cares let’s not eat it anyway xDDDD
Jk, if you really want to go vegan or whatever that’s fine but I’ll still be eating meat.

ALL FOODS CLEAN

“Any living creature that moves about shall be yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9:3‬ ‭

Why does nobody read Mark, Acts, or Galatians? They’re not bad books.

Do people here actually read the bible ? And what about Christians in general ?
What % of Christians read the bible in the world you think ?
And is it a bad thing to not read it (you are a "bad" christian ?) or it is ok if you behave like the christian tradition ?

You are the retarded one.

Modern Christianity is nothing like the Bible. Ruddy King David and Paul speaking against free will in Romans 9 would probably trigger most Christians into suffering an instant stroke. Or maybe they would simply reject the OT and Paul and finally admit to being the gnostic heretics they always were.

There’s your problem.