How Do You Pray?

Can someone give me examples of what you say to yourself when you pray?

I was raised Catholic and when I got older I went into phases of doing The Rosary, but I think prayer should consist of ideas you think of on the fly.

With toxic websites I feel like I'm being pulled down into their scuminess, and I instead want turn my thoughts to higher ideals.

I don't have any friends; when I was young I used to name everyone I knew from school and ask for the best for them, but now I can't even do that.

So can you guys give me some examples?

Attached: The World Offers You Comfort Pope Benedict XVI Quote.jpg (3600x2400, 1.95M)

And what makes you so wise, user?

Protip: At least Google the phrase "catholic prayers" – or even "christian prayers" – before asking us to do the work for you.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God
Have mercy on me, a sinner

unceasingly

Dear God,

Thank you for this day. Thank you for my fiance and my family, and for keeping me safe on my travel. Please be with my sister in law in her pregnancy. Be with the doctors to keep the child safe and healthy. Bless me to do your work.

In Jesus's name
Amen

Luke 11:2-4

There's a time for free form prayer and a time for established prayers like the Holy Rosary, the Jesus Prayer, the Our Father etc. It's good and important to do both. When I do free form prayer I talk to Jesus about my sins, ask forgiveness, ask for faith and strength and bring my concerns to him. Sometimes I just talk about anything that's going on with me. Don't write off the established prayers of the Church though, they've been established for a reason and have produced countless saints.

Attached: 4f927aa2e286e82818842c6f0942233f9aba517507572da08b7ec37e9e39fff4.jpg (629x1024, 365.79K)

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

I pray from the holy KJV, the only inspired book on this planet. Amen.

This except for the KJ meme.

ID confirms it.

Leave those websites you are talking about and never come back.

A prudent man sees evil and hides himself,
The simple proceed and pay the penalty.
Proverbs 27:12

by this you you mean 8ch.net? I feel that, brah

Attached: it-tears-the-soul.jpg (460x689, 41.77K)

read

Attached: 9780486461458_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg (393x630, 37.93K)

Maybe follow a template.
1) Give praise.
2) Ask forgiveness.
3) Petition for self.
4) Petition for others.

Maybe mix in whatever the occasion is. If it's before a meal, give thanks to God for all people involved in allowing you to receive (farmers, workers, etc). If it's a prayer before work, ask for strength to get through any issues and to perform well for his glory. If it's before bedtime, ask to take keep you and your loved ones safe throughout the night. Oh, and don't forget to ask for the conversion of sinners.

I pray the Jesus prayer a few times. I ask for health for myself and my family. I pray that all Christians in the world find faith, and for the destruction of Catholics.

Alpha

I was going to say something like this

If anything it sounds like you pray to the KJV

I found while on the train I pray in rhyme - it helps keep me focused (especially given how loud things are) and I cannot pray in prose that long. It's only 10-15 min, but even for 2 minutes I find my mind wanders away from God. Which is sad… Also I start grasping at straws when looking for words to rhyme with (if I focus too hard on eloquent rhymes I spend all my time thinking of words and not praying).

I say the Our Father prayer, then ask God to have mercy on us all, then I say a prayer to Christ, ask for forgiveness for my sins and for blessings for me, the people I love and everybody else.
Sometimes I say things on the fly, but in general it kind of comes of as routine lot of the times.

I pray with awareness that God hates it when we talk behind his back (although such a thing is absurd.. but that's kind of the whole point of our fallen state. Running away in own ego and mental space and hiding from God is the first sign of death in Adam). Therefore I'm scared to keep him out of my awareness. Bring everything to God. Pray without ceasing, as St. Paul said. For me, it's not always eloquent however. Formally, the Our Father is best. And I like reading prayer books for guidance. But if we could just transform our whole awareness into the Our Father, we'd be saints.

You don't say…

I follow my prayer book for morning and evening prayers, as well as occasional payers.
It would be a pain to copy down my prayer book here of course.

I don't recommend this at all. Follow the example of your forefathers, who were full of the Holy Spirit when they prayed. Otherwise it's easy to pray wrong. Not to say that you must not improvise at all and give prayers from deep within your heart, but you should learn how to pray first, especially in this secular world where everything wants to distracts us away from worshipping God.
The Book of Psalms is a whole prayer book that's in the Bible, while Our Lord Jesus Christ directly teaches us how to pray in Matthew 6:5-15 and Luke 11:1-4. And of course, you can get a prayer book for yourself, and follow its instructions.

Read Martin Luther’s short treatise “A Simple Way to Pray” for a great guideline on what a good prayer is.

Basically a good prayershould include:

1) Thanksgiving (thank you for all the blessings you’ve given me)

2) Repentance (please forgive me for allowing these evil thoughts in)

3) Request (please give me the strength to redist temptation, send your holy angels to protect me).

4) Praise (glory to you Lord Jesus Christ, your ways are perfect)

Also per Luther’s Large Catechism I start and finish every morning and evening prayer with the Lord’s Prayer and the apostle’s creed. I try to receite, write or type the 10 commandments and receite a psalm at least once a day.

Getting into a routine is really helpful

Thank you for breaking it down the different types of prayers.

Now that you've spelled it out I could say things like:

Attached: A Cross in Front of a Stained Glass Window.jpg (2127x1412, 226.01K)

Jesus prayer, our Father, Jesus prayer, prayer for mercy on me and for forgiveness for my sins committed during the day, Jesus prayer, prostration.

Jesus prayer, Creed, Jesus prayer, prayers for the salvation and health of my friends and family, Jesus prayer, prostration.

Jesus prayer, psalm 140, Jesus prayer, prayers for randoms I meet and for evil people and for those suffering in hell, Jesus prayer, prostration.

This is my basic night time prayers set. Can't get up early enough to have a full prayer time in the morning yet. Baby steps.

Matthew 6:7 KJV — But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

The repetitions need to be vain to fall under what is being condemned there. Though if someone was trying to rap through the prayer Busta Rhymes style to get it over with it would be. "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner" is hardly vain if you truly think about what each part of the prayer means and say it sincerely to God.

the ACTS prayer guide user.

Attached: 3fa38ede938f315f0434b30209ef4b70fca935366f1004441e316ddbe7cbfafe.jpg (762x691, 48.12K)