Big Brain Christians

Just discovered Swinburne knocking down some atheist talking points, he has good arguments and explanations for theism and Christianity.

currently reading one of his books too (called Was Jesus God?).

Here's a funny little exchange he had with WLC youtube.com/watch?v=4a4MHbXVIfs
Funny in the sense of being so erudite and nit-picky.

And Swinburne against some sort of naturalist who denies the soul, youtube.com/watch?v=W0VfrSRSLo4

Post more high-IQ Christian thinkers.

Other urls found in this thread:

edwardfeser.blogspot.com
thomism.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I haven't seen much with him except that interview with the producer of that doc 'the principle' that that one user kept on poasting a couple of months back, but Wolfgang Smith is supposedly a brain box:

John Polkinghorne

Edward Feser, both in books and blog, is an absolute goldmine, whether it concerns arguments for theism (or, more generally, his exposition, explanation and defense of Thomistic thought) or criticism of atheism. The former is especially good though, as it's much rarer to find with such quality.

edwardfeser.blogspot.com

Attached: 157_Ed_Feser_-_Copy.jpg (157x204, 6.7K)

Watched just over 2 minutes of it and it's nothing new. Everything he said is typical stuff I've heard before on Zig Forums. Now, I'm a Christian but he doesn't bring anything new to the table and I probably won't be following him. I think the best things that I read that discuss the question of evil and suffering, albeit not sufficiently, would be the two wisdom books of Ecclesiastes and job.

Sure, how he expresses it is nice though. Check out the other vids too. Or read his books, quite interesting.

invite him to this board.

Charles Coulombe is always interesting, even if you don't agree with a lot of what he says.

Because they were borne through real suffering and lifelong/extreme attempts at holiness. Not intellect.

You'll find similar wisdom in many saints btw (not the scholar saints necessarily. You'll have to use your discernment here.).

Thanks, will check them out.

Here is another interesting big IQ thinker.

Bump

I guess you could call David Bentley Heart, but you'll definitely find more people here who dislike him than like him.

I dont like this Swinburne guy tbh he says very little with too many words. Also there are new arguments for the soul based on the quantum function of the mind and restorative capacities that are a lot better than his arguments.

KEK. Next someone will post Anderson.

Absurd comparison. Listen to Dyer he knows way more theology, philosophy and politics than Anderson and their delivery is totally different.

Souls are immaterial, they aren't a function of physical organs or atoms.

True.

So do any of these guys have an argument beyond "there has to be a loving god with a plan or else existence is pure evil and I cant accept that" like winnie the pooh cs lewis.

Belief in God is basic, it doesn't need an "argument", like we don't need arguments for believing other minds actually exist and we aren't trapped in solipsism. Solipsism is retarded, likewise all the implications of atheism are retarded. The worldview is incoherent and no one actually lives like an atheist except for mindless degenerates.

Feser, and classical theism in general, does. I really recommend his books for arguments for God that are actually logical and precise. His Aquinas and Five Proofs are a good beginning.

That's not the argument you fagget, actually listen to their arguments before you criticise them

saint paul's letter to the roman christians, chapter thirteen.

his points on fear were beyond weak. i don't think i have to point you to scripture on what to fear.

i don't know anything about coulombe, but if he's portraying christian beliefs, he's wrong on what i pointed out.

I like bishop Fulton Sheen. The guy is witty and manages to explain things to a wide audience without overexplaining things

thomism.wordpress.com/

Sheen is awesome

t. Orthodox

Yeah Sheen really helped me a lot. He was such a great speaker and he existed in just the right time when Catholic orthodoxy could still be voiced in public, while recognizing the storm lurking on the horizon. He's a great guide for being a Catholic in modern times, and the way he talks about things without needing to walk on eggshells because of PC culture is a breath of fresh air.

Sheen was very pro-ecunemical though, he praised Vatican II and liked to quote Protestant writers at times.

If anything, Sheen is an example of how you can be loyal to the Church and still hope for the unity of all Christians.