Is smoking sinful?

How bad/unhealthy does a habit have to be for it to be self-harm and therefore sinful?
pic unrelated

Attached: 51d9d9f30dd246b3026ec3ddfe516b8560298e17523e0c6439ff322d71601703.jpg (1024x808, 333.65K)

Why do people ask these stupid questions?
pic related

Attached: jonas-valanciunas-5aee7cd418ef9.jpg (925x610, 57.69K)

Do you have an answer or not?

Simply epic

Look at the example of:

eating - obesity
alchohol - drunkenness
smoking - cancer
sex - disease
arguing/ hatred - violence

cheesy examples. but you get the point

*is it a virtue?*
get dabbed on by Fr Paisios

its more of a practical sin imo,
smoking = less time to grow in grace/repent, same with being unhealthy in general

Dost I not?

Attached: 1500709695789.png (150x100, 15.91K)

Self-harm is irrelevant as to whether something is sinful or not. To sin is to separate oneself from God. If you were to trade your faith for a pack of cigarettes, you'd be in sin, but I think that's hardly the case here. More importantly, you should not be shooting so low as just abstaining from sin, but should instead be aiming at making yourself perfect, so that in being irreprehensible in your conduct you might become a light to the world. This includes forsaking doing certain things that, though neither pure or impure, might cause your weaker brothers to stumble through their example.

I assume you mean smoking cigarettes.
My priest told me it is a sin, because it is harmful to the body, gives a high, and can cause addiction.

Your priest is a moron.

Get another priest if he doesnt even know what a sin is or isnt

Smoking is an unhealthy stupid behaviour (which I admit, I do occasionally) but it doesnt damage your relationship to God and is technically not a sin. It could theoretically get to the point where it does (your worship of God is cut short by smoke breaks eg during mass) but thats a sin of addiction, the same way addiction of alcohol is sin but not alcohol itself

popebenedictlightsup.jpg

he's misinformed, be more charitable

… Why the vitriol? Is there some official teaching that "smoking is not a sin" that I missed?

That's an oxymoron.

not really, for most of human history people didn't know it killed you. if you understood how mortal sin works, this automatically makes it a non-sin for a huge swathe of catholics in history.

even now, it's arguable that "moderate" smoking is a non-sin. it takes so long and there's a thousand different ways to go.

No but there's plenty of church teaching that condemns gnostic anti-materialism as heresy.
God created everything, and it was good. We humans are the ones that abuse it.

Uh no it doesnt.

being intoxicated or doing drugs is considered sinful; even mortally sinful depending on the severity

I don't really care about Catholics. I'm not a Catholic.

… And now we do. What is your point?
St. Barsanuphius of Optina, St. Paisios of Mount Athos, and other saints taught against smoking. And you did not address what I said - that it is harmful to the body, that it takes away from sobriety, that it has a high risk of addiction.

If something hurts us, then we are not making natural use of it, and we are sinning.
Do cigarettes give you a quick and short high? Then they take away from sobriety, and therefore it is a sin to smoke.
Unless you mean that it is only by smoking too much that we abuse what God has created. Time to start eating fly amanitas then, just don't eat too many.

I don't know and don't really care what the Orthodox teach, but by most standards smoking wouldn't necessarily be considered sinful because the knowledge of its harm was not known for centuries.

cool story orthobro

nobody really knew this for centuries, but you can lay the claim of sin at their feet if you wish.

I assumed the OP meant "is it a sin if I smoke a cigarette in a first world country in the 21st century". My apologies if that's not what the thread was about, I'll step out if that is the case.

Ehhh…. I'd liken it to self harm in my opinion. I mean, God blessed us with self-healing bodies that heal in due time. And there is proof beyond, thru and thru. But, we need to let things heal in due time and in due process… and stop winnie the pooh about with the process. You abuse it past the threshold of healing? Then uh oh, to the doctor's office with you.

WtF??! I did not type that. Freakin satan. Things heal in due process. Stop abusing the process when your body is trying to heal itself…. winnie the pooh…. LOL. I have no idea where that came from.

First time here?
There is a filter that automatically converts most swear words to "winnie the pooh" and the n-word to "tigger".

Attached: christian server.jpg (680x464, 38.95K)

I usually ask my self that question as well, since I do struggle with it. Had been a smoker since I was a teenager, and probably did it for more than 12 years, at some point started hand rolling my own tobacco.
I never really wanted to stop, but I did so and turned to vaping because of how bad it affected my performance in gym, still I had some frequent relapses from time to time, until eventually got back to smoking full time.

So yeah, its not something good, forget about that developing cancer when you reach old age, it has some very present day to day effects, like smelling, real breathing issues, and something very underrated and common to all addictions, being unable to control yourself has a very real impact on your motivation for achieving goals in other areas of your life.

So in turn, smoking by itself may not be a sin in itself, but the habit of being a smoker spirals down into some other bad tendencies that aren't very christian.
Eg, currently vaping still, but ran out of nicotine, now I really want to rid myself of this. Its been two weeks since smoking, one week without nicotine.

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Your body is a temple
Smoking hurts your body
Ergo, smoking destroys God's temple

Repent, sinners.

Attached: st_paul_lightbox flyer.jpg (492x600, 267.73K)

I agree and disagree with this. The real issue with smoking in my opinion is it addictive qualities, which make you subservient to it rather than to God. Just because something hurts you doesn't mean it's evil.

Working out merely hurts your body, smoking destroys your lungs. The addictive properties you can throw under pharmakeia which is also verboten to us Christians.

So, if anything, smoking cigarettes is double bad for you.

Attached: a-103.jpg (240x335, 90.89K)

"Don't you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit?" I think someone might have said that somewhere in the Bible

Attached: aJKEeYI.png (1436x1652, 385.65K)

Cigars and pipes: Based and breadpilled.
Degenerate cigarettes: Cringe and bluepilled.

Attached: tbaco.jpg (529x479 17.81 KB, 16.84K)

Sounds like the perfect place to burn incense.

Attached: 51 5XINYh6L.jpg (322x500, 38.92K)

You do realize that pipes and cigars are just as harmful and addictive as cigarettes, right?

No, I don't realize that.

Is eating junk food while having a sedentary lifestyle sin?

Well, maybe you should. It's still tobacco, still contains nicotine and carcinogens. Addictive and destroys the lungs. Just because you find something aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it isn't a sin. Remember: Lucifer was the most beautiful of angels.

Nicotine is not inherently bad. It has some beneficial properties, like reducing risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. You can get tobacco with few or no additives whereas most cigarettes are loaded with chemicals. Also, you can smoke pipes or cigars in moderation - like a couple times a week - whereas cigarette smokers almost inevitably smoke many cigarettes per day. Cigar and pipe smoke may elevate your risk of some diseases but not nearly at the same level cigarettes do. All sorts of things can increase health risks, diet, living in the city vs. the country, exercise, but no one harangues Christians for not jogging to reduce their cardiovascular risks. Only tobacco is worth complaining about, apparently.

If you compare the amount of tobacco in a cigarette to the amount of tobacco people put in a pipe or roll into a cigar, it tends to even out. Depending, of course, on the size of the pipe bowl.

Top kek, I actually own a pipe, but I hardly ever smoke, nevertheless it does harm your body and cigs are a definite no

I just can't fathom where do people like you crawl out of…

Yes it is. Should be fairly obvious. It's a failure on your part to maintain the body God gave you.

No u mr. Non-argument.

No thanks, I already have the best incense one can put in the body.

Besides smoking tobacco literally harms the body. The nicotine is an addictive chemical among the other bs the government mandates be put in the cigarettes.

You wouldn't put tobacco in an incense burner and fill up a room with it

Attached: 05.jpg (800x534, 58.99K)

Why do people like you respond so unchirst-like?

at one time people may have. High-quality tobacco has a pleasant smell, the stench that we associate with it today is due entirely to cheap cigarettes. Moderate usage of addictive things, in a way that doesn't lead to dependence on them, isn't a bad thing.

I see, you're right, care should also be taken that no excessive damage is done.

For example, people drink and enjoy alcohol responsibly, the same can surely be done with tobacco.

Cigars and pipes are smoked differently than cigarettes are, lessening the effects on the lungs. Now I would certainly object if someone I knew was smoking his pipe every day, multiple times per day, but once in a while is absolutely fine. No adverse affects; hell, my doctor doesn't even consider it 'tobacco use' when I mentioned I have a cigar once every few months or so.

Its ok to do it if you aren't addicted IMO. Just enjoy a cigar once in a while and don't smoke a cig every day. Ask god to relieve you of the shit in your life, don't let drugs make your life shittier.

Do we reeeaaally need to be told something is sinful before we'll cease injuring ourselves doing it?
Is this how LOW the bar of human intellect and common sense has been set these days?

Attached: portrait-jesus-finds-that-somewhat-confounding.jpg (960x799, 83.69K)

The object is not sin the thing you do with it is potentially sin. You shouldn't-self harm, waste large amounts of your money, or create trouble for those around you (your exhaust fumes aren't humidifier mist.) Doing these things with reckless abandon is cruelty toward yourself and others.

Heads: desperate for attention. Tails: wanted to delete a thread they don't like from the back of the catalog.

Is caused more by depressive inaction than eating. If you want to slay the obesity dragon then attack the despairing heart (metaphorically speaking.)
Unless a person is so drunk that they're on the verge of losing consciousness, their behavior mostly amounts to lack of impulse control. People would control their impulses better - drunk or not - if society didn't spoil the guilty and transfer punishments to the innocent.
You don't need a single cigarette to get cancer. Truth be told my own father smoked himself to death as an act of spite after waving the cancer card around like it was a credit card. The tobacco wasn't the problem; the mentality was. The same applies to a gun or a baseball bat or a boot or a jug of liquor.
Is not caused by sex per se; you can have sex fifty thousand times in your life and not catch herpes or HIV if you're having sex with the same person throughout and they're also only having sex with you. Likewise, the person who infects another through sex could also infect them through violence or drug use or even just being a lazy worker.

This isn't really a disagreement it's more "that's a bit too simplified there."

+1 each

Absolutely this. Inanimate objects aren't sins; choices souls make with their allegiance are (potentially) sins.

You're not supposed to ask yourself.

Modern cancer patients didn't get cancer from tobacco, they got cancer from the stuff used to help tobacco keep it's light (and customers.) Burn down the additive factories if you want to be the historical hero against cancer.

Malicious destructive cruelty toward yourself is evil. Not all pain is cruelty but a slow torturing death is cruelty. If someone takes this route of smoking 1+ pack of mass market cigarettes a day despite knowing where these products lead, then they are self-hating and you're not supposed to hate.

(checked)
I know, but someone's gotta call out the people who think this is real, I guess.
Cuz (though I'm late to the party) I'm reading posts by people who unironically reply to "flat-earther" claims that Australia doesn't exist. Like they believe flat-earthers believe this stuff. Or are pretending to for the popcorn value.
(Personally, I find it funny.)
We're just getting meta on our meta meta-ing and I can't help thinking someone's gotta occasionally call it out
Even if I'm contributing to the whirlpool

t. Australian who's pretty sure he exists

Attached: australia-is-not-real.jpg (960x401, 52.62K)