I am considering names for confirmation

I am considering names for confirmation.

Can anyone help me by telling me what name they chose and why?

Attached: oneinchrist.JPG (572x599, 78.46K)

My Confirmation name comes from St. Adjutor, the patron saint of swimmers and boaters. I chose him because I was an avid swimmer all through middle and high school.

Adjutor was a knight in the first crusade and he is the patron of swimmers because, as the story goes, he was captured by muslims and was tortured into giving up his faith. Instead of doing that he jumped out of the tower window and swam back to France where he lived the rest of his life as a hermit.

Other ledgends accredit angels for breaking him out and throwing him in the water so he can swim to safety. Another miricle attributed to him involves him calming a whirlpool before it sank the ship he was on by casting Holy Water into it.

Attached: 66440f93ec189b821679ea31e69179d3.jpg (800x1174, 179K)

Benedict

Because I admire monastics. Contemplated Anthony or Basil, but I'm Latin Rite so Benedict seemed like the most reasonable option. Also considered Bernard, but I figured I'd go to the source.

Attached: saint-benedict-medal-back.png (400x400, 15.17K)

I chose Ephrem for two reasons:
1] His absolute devotion.
2] My birthday is June 9

Not confirmation, but baptism, but I chose Jeremiah. My birth name is Jeremy and I already like a lot St. Jeremiah's writings in the Old Testament (Jeremiah, Lamentations, Epistle). It's hard to not identify with him.

*snicker
Sounds like you've been-a-dik lol

Attached: 61TAojVPnSL.jpg (900x1522, 77.05K)

St Simon of Trent is a good one. St William of Norfolk too

Attached: 1436208839594.jpg (691x625, 210.54K)

I don't remember being given the option to do so?

Whats your denom? In apostolic tradition (Cathodox) we chose our saint name once we get confirmed.

Attached: download (14).jpg (276x183, 7.78K)

I'm catholic, baptised as a infant and confirmed.

Hmm…thats odd. Ask your mother, I'm sure she knows.

I'm actually a Cateuchumen myself. I've been debating between St. Augustine, St. Maximos the Confessor, or Venerable Paul the Obedient.

Augustine, while controversial, mirrors my own journey to Christ. Maximos suffered greatly for his devotion at the hands of the Church herself, and was found righteous after death. I would like to live up to his example because of his love of God and devotion to truth. Paul is another admirable saint; a monk who dedicated himself so greatly to his arduous duties that even when he wasn't given work he turned a millstone grinding wheat. He did these all without complaint or murmur and with ceaseless prayer. his name day is also my birthday

(checked)
Just read up on Maximos the Confessor. Tragic what he had to go through in order to defend the faith agianst heretics. Personally, if I were you I'd choose Maximos because
1) it sounds cool
2) his devotion and faith is admirable even here in the West

Attached: 0121maximos-the-confessor0020.jpg (600x841, 755.33K)

I only could think of Saint Lucia but I didn't think you should take a girl's name

Attached: dc4e1398bcb1a1b9dd02c3fa9d3005f4795cb238a311e5be695065d25970b37c.jpg (255x255, 12.14K)

I was accepted into the church last year. I chose St. Augustine as my patron saint, however if I had known about St. Mark Tianxian at the time I believe I would have definitely chose him. He is the patron saint of addicts due to the fact that he struggled with opium addiction his entire life and could not receive confession because his priest took him to be simply weak willed. He nevertheless attended church and was martyred during the Boxer Rebellion in 1900, recording as being calm and confident before his death at the hands of the anti-Christian Boxers. He is an inspiration to continue the fight against addiction as well as temptation in general. It's unfortunately hard to find a picture of him because he is lumped together with other Chinese martyrs during the rebellion.

Attached: st mark tianxian.jpg (600x657, 337.86K)

Why would St. Augustine be controversial?

Also St. Maximos is great. Huge resource for apologetics against eastern memers. Since he wrote extensively about the authority of Rome as the head of the Church and the correctness of other theological issues that the east suffered from.

A great choice. I don't know who the last of them are.

I'd choose Maximos.

At this point it is just between Maximos and Paul. I can't help but find Paul incredibly relevant to myself, which is a lot more important than having a cool name :^)

Cheeky Catholic. How's Maximos a good contra-point to Orthodoxy when the only time as far as I am aware he was against the Church was when we were unified. He was only against the Eastern half because of the error that was quickly corrected. Otherwise, his writings are celebrated for its theology, influencing Palamas.

I've chosen st. Thomas Aquinas, because during my conversion I heard a lot about him and I appreciate the use of reason in faith.
Now, I would probably choose st. Maximilian Kolbe, but it would be a hard choice and I quite appreciate st. Thomas as my patron saint. I think that no matter which saint you'll choose, there's always going to be some doubt, because there are so many awesome saints. Let the Holy Spirit guide you and keep your devotion to the saint you'll end up choosing.

Attached: tommy.jpg (321x410, 13.94K)

Same. A truly excellent and pious mind.

I chose Justin after Justin Martyr. Reading his writings and seeing his dedication to knowledge and philosophy, while leading others to Christ, is an example I'd like to follow. So my advice to you would be to read, read, read! Also, do as you are now and talk with people about who they chose and why, then read the works of the saint they mentioned. I first looked into Justin Martyr because my priest accidentally called me Justin on my 2nd visit to the church. Now he calls me Justin during every Liturgy!

Pray as well!

Does your confirmation name replace your birth name, or does it become like a middle name?

It's like an AKA. My birth name is generally used on legal documents like my driver's license, but my confirmation name is used on Church documents like my marriage certificate.

One good name that I haven't seen here is Ambrose.

Attached: credo spurdo.webm (854x480, 1.32M)

Because he wrote on several occasions about Rome being the head of the Church and that the essential essence of the episcopate sits there? He also wrote defending the Filoque against easterners who claimed it was wrong.

It's weird you weren't aware of this.

St Ignatius of Antioch. When I began reading the Fathers almost two years ago (jeez, it's really been that long, hasn't it?), I was unsure of the Catholic and Orthodox teaching about the Eucharist, but Ignatius very clearly explained the Eucharist and even dubbed the sacrament that in his Epistle to the Romans. I was convinced of the reality of the mysteries, and thus soon found myself attending Mass at the local Latin Catholic church and occasionally visiting Liturgy at the local Orthodox church (which we have in my hometown for some reason). Now, I'm on the track for baptism and confirmation this Easter.

Attached: Saint_St_Ignatius_of_Antioch_Greek_Hand-Painted_Orthodox_Icon_0.jpg (711x1000, 108.21K)

can you take two or more names?

I went with Michael as it was also my baptismal name and I have a strong admiration for St Michael the archangel.
If not Michael, I would have gone with Thomas More or Augustine as reading about their lives were instrumental to bringing me back to Catholicism.

You fail.

see, that one made me smirk. It's not really funny, but it's more clever than the first joke.

John 1:45-51 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith to him: We have found him of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets did write, Jesus the son of Joseph of Nazareth.
46 And Nathanael said to him: Can any thing of good come from Nazareth? Philip saith to him: Come and see.
47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him: and he saith of him: Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no guile.
48 Nathanael saith to him: Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered, and said to him: Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
49 Nathanael answered him, and said: Rabbi, thou art the Son of God, thou art the King of Israel.
50 Jesus answered, and said to him: Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, thou believest: greater things than these shalt thou see.
51 And he saith to him: Amen, amen I say to you, you shall see the heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

I think I will be going with Nathanael. That is my middle name given by my mother. I will be baptised and confirmed into the Catholic Church soon and this seems to be the most appropriate option. Not to mention I love the passage where Christ calls Nathanael, above.

St.John Vianney because he was a humble priest

The Eastern Fathers said the same thing about Rome kek

Christopher, Joshua, Thomas, Peter…

Andrew, because of my Scottish ancestry and my best friend at the time was named Andrew.

lol that's seriously shallow user

I was 9 years old.

I was considering “Joseph” because I’m a new dad and I received great help from praying a Novena to St Joseph. Is that an obvious one? Is there a good list of Saints to choose from?

You can't go wrong with St. Joseph.
Fun fact:
St. Joseph is also known as the terror of demons. You couldn't have picked a better one, imo.

Attached: JosephTerrorWeb.jpg (500x630, 84.29K)

Thanks user, you’ve sealed it for me. “Joseph” it is.

It's my pleasure.
God bless you and your new family.

Attached: 327gabriel10.jpg (771x800, 51.43K)

St. Dismas, the Penitent Thief

Attached: 325dismas14.jpg (306x500, 50.54K)

Would it be okay to pick the name of a saint and an archangel?

Sanctvs Lavrentivs.
i pray he will give me good humor in the face of my torture.

Attached: _.png (547x649, 747.4K)

I don't even remember. I was a filthy lukewarm and only got confirmed because my mom made me. I thought he was the patron saint of music, but I looked it up and that's saint Cecilia. It might have been saint gregory, but I'm not even sure.

Attached: 4033e33f29b0c7a3eb9ee4b7d523e246.jpg (1200x1806, 172.34K)