Lent /ck/ thread

Greetings siblings in Christ! With the Lent season upon us I was wondering if y'all have any good recipes to share. Let's face it, salads can get pretty boring pretty fast. So I wanted to share this super simple and suprisingly delicious recipe I just tried.
Roasted Onion

Process:
All you do is put the whole onion (uncut, shell and everything) on a baking sheet or stone and bake it in your oven @350 degrees (F) for 30-40 minutes. Thats it. Once baked you can cut it and put some salt on it and enjoy it with a biscuit or a cut apple.

I know our Orthobros have more strict guidelines, but that usually means they get more creative with their recipes. So please, Catholics and Orthodox please share some delicious recipes that you know of so we can help each other make our Lenten fasts less boring Prots are welcome to contribute as well

God Love you all.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 122.46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

crsricebowl.org/recipe
fisheaters.com/lentensoups.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wanted to make one, nice that I'm not the only one on here.

It's late now, I'll post some OG Italian recipes in the next days and some ideal quick Lent lunches.

hey baptist here so i dont celebrate lent but i have a pretty simple chinese fried rice recipe

First make rice with a 1:1 ratio of water to rice. The purpose of this ratio is so that the rice is a little bit hard and when you fry it it will be fully cooked instead of being mushy

Once the rice is cooked in a frying pan add some oil and heat until steam is coming off the oil. Add a couple of pieces of garlic minced and stir until brown. Once the garlic is browned add in one whole onion diced. Keep frying until onion is caramaelized to your liking. Also you can add in some other vegetables, be creative and add whatever you want tbh. I like to throw in some chili peppers and a bell pepper, kale, spinach, whatever you want.

Next cook 2-3 eggs in a small pan scrambled and add it in to the rice.

Lastly dump like a quarter cup of soy sauce or more to taste and stir fry the rice until its fully cooked then eat.

I dont really know what lent is so if lent means being vegetarian then just omit the eggs, its still good.

Also green onions or a leek chopped up and thrown after turning off the fire is pretty tasty

(checked)
Yummy. I love fried rice. In the Catholic tradition, eggs are okay for lenten fast days so I'm gonna have to try this out.
Also, Lent is a tradition to help us spiritually prepare for Easter. We give up eating flesh because Christ gave up his flesh for us. Fasting also has health benefits as well.

I cant wait! I love Italian food

Attached: download (2).jpg (197x255, 25.67K)

For any Pasta-Americans such as myself who are going vegan for Lent but still want said pasta, nutritional yeast is a passable substitute for pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano. Also look for veggie sausages - some can be quite good.

Catholic Relief Services has all the Lenten recipes you could want:
crsricebowl.org/recipe
I'll share my personal favorite:

Vary Amin’anana
2 T olive oil

1 small onion, diced

1 medium tomato, diced

1 clove garlic

1 t fresh ginger, minced

3 c packed collard greens or kale

1 c rice

2 c water

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in medium-sized pot. Add onion, tomato, garlic and ginger, and sauté until just tender. Add collard greens or kale, and stir 1 minute. Add rice, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on medium heat for 25 minutes or until water is absorbed.

Serves 4‒5

Attached: CRS2015111731.jpg (2048x1365, 579.18K)

As a catechumen, I really appreciate this thread. I'm looking forward to yelling out Christos Anesti with all y'all.

Easy recipe to start off.

Easy Oats

Easy to make, very quick, doesn't exceed the fasting (not enough for a full meal) and fills up pretty well.
Also great as a protein source so you won't lose too much muscle mass.

Now another easy recipe straight from the Mezzogiorno.

Pane Cotto (cooked bread)

Ingredients

So what's going to happen is, we're going to straight up cook the old bread.
This is REAL peasant food, where one could add additional stuff laying around in their garden (I added rocket leaves and sweet green peppers when there were some in the garden, as an example).

What to do

Do note that every type of bread is different, real white bread with lots of holes will fill up in a minute with water while dense brown breads need smaller pieces and more time.
You can easily pimp this recipe by using good soup stock to cook the bread in instead of making the pauper broth I described.

It's a very good Lent recipe that will fill you up very easily due to the bread soaking up all the water.

you should try steel cut oats if you havent. They take around half an hour to cook so its not a quick meal but i can eat them with only salt because the taste is above and beyond rolled oats or one minute oats. With rolled oats i have to drown them in sugar and milk just to eat them but steel cut oats have a delicious nutty roasted taste and a chewy texture

I use rolled oats, but they take just as long to cook, and I think they take wonderful. I can't really say anything since I've never tried steel cut though.

I watch that dude hes pretty cool.

你做甚麼鬼?

this is an americanized simplified version of chinese fried rice. Im sorry it doesnt have all that rare chinese stuff you can only find in china

user….I…

Attached: 1551880211616.jpg (640x480, 50.21K)

just order it from amazen

Nibba what you talking about?
They're almost 17% protein.

nah it sounds like a lot of work for chinese fried rice ill only eat once in a while, the reason i like my recipe more is because it uses foods that you can find very easily here in america like onions, garlic, and soy sauce.

Tons of Soup Recipes coming up:

fisheaters.com/lentensoups.html

Do you guys not have a local asian market store (or several) in your area? Heck, the fish sauce I know you can get in Wal-Mart in the asian section.

Attached: o.jpg (700x525, 91.15K)

Oranges. Just oranges/

Roasted mushrooms

This is another super simple. Take some cultivated mushrooms (not too small). Place them stem-side up. Put some salt within the capes, then roast them in your grill (or oven) at 350F/185C for 30-40 minutes. If you want them more tasty, in addition to the salt you can add some paprika, garlic powder, parsley. When the mushroom are ready, if your Lenten rules permit it, you can drizzle the mushrooms with some oil.

Attached: mushrooms.jpg (720x480, 103.62K)

My favorite simple guacamole recipe:

Another super process. Extract the Avocado into a bowl. Add about 2 squirts of the honey and a splash of the olive oil I literally just eye everything, my mother told me measureing cups are for the weak lol. Finely dice up the red onion and add a pinch of salt. Take a bean masher a fork works just as good and mash it all together to your desired chunkiness.

Enjoy on some toast or with some tortilla chips.

Attached: images (3).jpg (300x168, 13.2K)

No oil or alcohol for Orthodox lent.

I suppose there are some local variations. In my Church the laity follows the rule "no oil or alcohol" only during the first and the last week of the Lent or when they are preparing for the communion.

Ha-ha! Then I am the weakest because I not only use measuring cups, but I also write the proportions on paper so that I can make changes the next time.

Does anyone here have amy recipes that are high in protein? As a Maronite, I must abstain for cheese and diary products, and anything that has to do with animals, be it chicken, meat, or even eggs (my main protein source before Lent).

I'm trying to prevent catabolic breakdown of my muscles due to less protein intake, but it's getting hard without being able to eat chicken or meat, bros. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached: d294533f9261cf432f7ffb8b0093df12c53be50935f83f7b4785643cf65487ef.jpg (466x349, 33.43K)

Lentils, chickpeas, oats and rice.
First two go great with pasta (look up the recipes) and mixing your oats (which can be made with water) with dark chocolate (at least 70%) is not only delicious but also very rich in protein and minerals.
Rice is also pretty protein-dense.
If fish is allowed, start eating it.
if offal ('waste' parts of animals, like livers, lungs, kidneys, hearts) is allowed, start eating those.
Hearts in particular are great, since it's still a muscle it's taste and structure is very close to skeletal muscle.

Something's not right here.

Thank you very much.

Lol

Roasted chickpeas and a handful of cashews are my usual food when I need to get proteins and good fats during Lent; oats with a spoonful of honey and a banana too. Fish in general is a good source of fats and proteins. Also, buckwheat and rice: not as rich in proteins, but you can have them as a side together with fish or beans.

That reminds me, I never tried it before but oats with some nuts and/or peanut butter is also a vegan (no animals whatsoever) protein bomb.
We /fit/ now?

Wew never thought I would come across a LebAnon here,
Try pea protein or basedbean protein (soy)
MyProtein has cheap pea protein but it lacks bcaa, you might have to supplement for it. Also, don't forget to take creatine.

Oats barely has any protein in it and it's loaded with carbs, don't consume it in excess. Peanut butter on the other hand is good.

Chickpeas are loaded with carbs and rice isn't good for fitness, it's simple carbs.

Attached: 1550564662271.jpg (500x300, 52.32K)

We've always been.

Attached: 6a163ffeb79bb46e651ba809105cc3f70d4f4a31ba1d27d98f8396c5b6e59aa3.jpg (194x259, 10.6K)

Nibba it's almost 17% protein, that's a lot for plant-based food and unless you want to go

They have carbs, but they are better than those found in baked goods, pasta, etc… and I think the same goes for rice (full carbs, but easier to digest). Maybe the other user is right…I used that diet and I trimmed off some few kilos in conjunction with some gains due to a routine I used when I was a boxer. I am not an expert, tho…

What's your guys' consensus on kombucha? Not specifically brand related, but in a general sense? Good for you? Overhyped?

Attached: 71CogtfFZdL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 119.78K)

Carbs are carbs in terms of calories, whether they're pure refined sugar or brown bread.
The only difference is their rate of digestion and intake and maybe some slight calorie reduction because the starch needs to be broken down which costs energy (starch isn't as easily taken in as refined sugar).
There's essentially no difference between the carbs found in bread, pasta or pizza compared to those in oats or rice, unless their starch composition differs completely.
The big difference between pasta and oats is that pasta is about 13% protein while oats are almost 17%, meaning less carbs and more protein.
Carbs aren't even unhealthy or something and even help in muscle recovery/growth but they do get stored as fats in our bodies when we have too much and people wanting to go full zyzz cut out their carbs as much as possible.

Tl;dr: unless you want to become zyzz eat a lot of chickpeas, oats, lentils this fast and you'll have a good intake of protein while probably also losing bodyfat.

Never wanted to go full zyzz; I was fit and lean, but just enough to have the health benefits without risking to fall into narcissism or worse.

My point is, plant protein isn't complete protein.

Vegetarian diet is usually high in carbs, it's kinda expensive to go on low carb vegetarian diet.
If you wish to go low on carbs you can use avocados to replace a meal,
Cauliflower rice to replace rice
Almond/flax flour to replace wheat (flax is high in phytoestrogen and almonds has antinutrient properties)
Coconut flour is a better alternative.

As for protein, some good low carb plant sources are peanut, soy isolate ( don't really eat this), rice protein isolate, pea protein etc
As for whole food with protein, I can't think of any. Arabic and Mediterranean foods tend to be high in vegetarian protein.

I used to be a vegan lifter, look out for vitamin B6 and b12, you might have to supplement it.
vitamin A from plant isn't absorbed efficiently, sweet potato is kinda better for vitamin a.
Zinc is required for hormone production, you might have to supplement it too.
Iron is barely present in vegetarian sources, keep track of it.

Avoid calcium supplements tho, also consider creatine since you'll be low on creatine without meat in your diet.

Attached: 1551282822278.png (381x259, 27.32K)

Never said it was, only said it had a lot of protein.
Next time specify your claims better.

What does BV and PDCAAS stand for?

Overyped in the sense that most vegan fads are, but probably good for you.

Why has no one taken the pescatarian pill yet?

Sushi is the BEST, but I think it may be a no-no in Orthodox tradition. But im not 100% on that so don't quote me.

?
Isn’t it raw fish and rice?
Are Orthos forbidden from fish too?

On Annunciation and the Palm Sunday fish is permitted.

Yes, sushi is primarily raw fish and rice. Some Americanized rolls have cooked meat and various other ingredients on it as well, but OG sushi is just fish, seaweed, and rice

Like I said in the OP, all I know is the East is more strict when it comes to Lent and all meat is not permitted or at least that is what I was told. I'm not Eastern so I dont know 100%