"I'm Orthodox because it's the church with the best optics"

I've seen Orthos unironically use this as a reason to convince prots to join their church. If anything, the fact that satan is not attacking your church so heavily should be a sign that your church is not the true Church of Christ.

Attached: disgusted.jpg (800x450, 41.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5yuz46szpTk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Eastern_Orthodox_Christians
chelorg.com/2017/12/02/the-kidnappers-of-syrian-metropolitans-did-not-intimidate-the-church-said-the-patriarch-of-antioch/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ortho LARPers online do this. Real, actual Orthos in the real world don't do this. Spend more time in meatspace.

t. normalfag Catholic

I think it was the italians that developed the better lenses, wasn't it?

This. You can delete your useless thread now.

took me a second

Attached: 1326647970046.gif (160x120, 1.1M)

Satan did attack Orthodoxy and still is doing so. A lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=5yuz46szpTk

And I've seen Roman Catholics use the same pathetic reason as well. What's your point?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Eastern_Orthodox_Christians
chelorg.com/2017/12/02/the-kidnappers-of-syrian-metropolitans-did-not-intimidate-the-church-said-the-patriarch-of-antioch/

Conflating pedo degeneracy with satan "attacking" your church is nothing more than a weak cope. Don't forget that Rome still has blood on its hands for the persecution of Eastern Orthodox as well.

Motes and beams, ortholarp, or are we just going to pretend that events like the Massacre of the Latins never happened?

Attached: lzp50ppwr3n11.png (1080x1209, 1.12M)

The crusaders sacked other places too. Christian Orthodox cities that had nothing to do with that.

Attached: Wat8.jpg (604x404, 37.69K)

Attached: download (5).jpg (300x168, 5.65K)

Great Nuremberg defense there. Quite fitting actually.

there was
who was deposed and blinded by his brother

so
asked the crusaders to help him against
and in the end he ended up being blinded and deposed by

the sack of constantinople was

as a prospective Catholic, this is a bad argument. Christ also said "by their fruits ye shall know them"

guaranteed (you)s

The Eastern Orthodox, the official religion for dindus that dindu nuffin! Wew

>>>Zig Forums

Also if you actually look at the previous posts you can clearly see that fault was already admitted on the Catholic side. All of those brutes were excommunicated. The fact that the Orthodox still can't get over the fact that they are also at fault for The Fourth Crusade is laughable. You literally are acting like a dindu.

Look, I'll be the bigger person. I forgive the Orthodox for not keeping their word and I forgive them for massacring those Latins. Now can you forgive the Catholic Church for the sins of the Venetian Bankers and the brutes already?

You gatholigs were the ones that brought up the 4th crusade in the first place here. But of course it's you guys' favorite example to bring up because you can shift the blame to everyone else in that clusterduck, but that still has nothing to do with the RCC's more recent persecutions of the Orthodox in Eastern Europe. What's the point of all that fancy scholasticism if you guys just end up cherry picking your history anyway, and get duped into believing the Filioque is the only difference that matters between the East and West.

We can bring it up because it's a common Orthodox talking point, and purely an Orthodox talking point because Ortho-Protestant converts are too new to really know the circumstances or the precedence of the Orthodox using it as their holocaust.

The catholicity of the crusaders is not denied, but that they were excommunicated shows you where the Church officially stands on the issue.

no clue, what does the scholastic philosophy have to do with history?

there's no "duping" going on, nobody really knows (or cares) about the theological difference between the two Churches, only actual Orthodox bother to learn the Palamist energies' argument, everyone else just smiles and nods because the argument is just foreign and ultimately inconsequential.

I actually appreciate much of Orthodox theology tbh (not all, but much). But in a way, the actual things that matter on a practical day to day level is the body of believers you're also joined to.. and the culture you're in. Orthodox are so seperate from anything I know. I'd have difficulty even following yours feasts and fasts (or Lent right now, as we speak), without the constant surroundings that, say, a Greek or Russian has with all of their friends and loved ones around. It's a bit like intruding on a family home you didn't grow up in. I don't know how converts manage it.

Scholasticism has to do with using logic to find truth, a process that is obviously not limited to philosophy. Come on now, I shouldn't have to be teaching basic Catholic traditions to an Catholic! Then again, I have had confirmed and supposedly well educated Catholics try to argue with me that no religion can have The Truth, and that there's no proof for the resurrection, so I'm used to hearing crazy things from you guys by now.

Thanks for proving my point. That still doesn't stop most of you guys from acting like divide is all political bs, as if any of you actually understand the problem.

…scholasticism is a valid philosophical school of thought with objective tenets, trying to re-apply that to some anons bringing up the 4th crusade on Zig Forums is nonsensical.

If some Orthodox came to me and said Dostoevsky was the secret Patriarch of Constantinople, would that make it ok for me to presume all orthodox are blockheads?

Which is? The energies argument is literally unknown in western spheres, there is no way you can take this argument and attempt to re-apply it 200-300 years before it was even a thing.

The West and East did not schism over the energies' argument, it is not the thing standing in the way of any reconciliation.

There isn't a problem. Nobody in the west has seriously treated the energies argument before, we don't even know if it is a problem.

In general I would say you should be wary of anyone converting to any denomination or even different faith who converted not because of theology but for other reasons.

But yes what you're saying is fairly prevelant among Western meme converts and online larpers from what I know sadly.

May that change.

t. Hungarian Orthodox inquirer

Was it your goal to see how many strawmans you could fit into a single post? Because if so, I think you hit your mark. The only thing I'm going to dignify with a response is bringing up the Essence/Energy meme, because that's literally always bundled in with the Filioque meme. News flash: there are bigger issues with the Roman doctrine than divine simplicity. The west's concept of "original sin" and the hack that is "immaculate conception" spring to mind, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Like?

Weak.

It's not a "meme", the West has never seriously considered the argument before. Really cute that you instantly say you're going to address the "meme", then instantly start going off on other things.

Sure, go on. The difficulty that you'll encounter of course, is that you'll inevitably have to consider the idea that St. Augustine was actually a vile heresiarch, but that's a pitfall neither you nor any other Orthodox could ever hope to avoid. It's truly a thing of derision that you are saddled with a Saint you never be rid off, though you deny him constantly.

Sorry for disturbing the conversation but do not conflate higher up professional opinion on Augustine with online Orthodox memes by the laity please thank you.

Outside of the meme space there's little opposition to Augustine or contrary to what you might think, even his theology.

In the EOC he's a Saint in accordance with the 5th Ecumenical Council which declared him as such while saying nothing of his written theological works.

As you know I'm sure, Seraphim Rose is highly regarded among Western converts and he has entire book written on Augustine's importance and contribution to the EOC and why his position as a Saint is more than just deserving.

The only opposition to Augustine can be basically chalked up as anti-Western bias by some converts, that isn't an acceptable excuse nor are these people a serious force in the Church.

The people who dislike him as a Saint tend to just be overtly concerned with the RCC and Roman Catholics who rely a LOT on Augustine in particular for their theology, as Christos Yannaras said of Augustine "the fount of every distortion and alteration in the Church's truth in the West".

The Church obviously doesn't judge him on the basis of what outsiders do with his theology though.

Calling St. Augustine a heresiarch or anything of that sort, or even anything less than a Saint is a Heterodox view simply and should at best be laughed at.

Attached: St_Augustine_of_Hippo.jpg (751x1134, 211.19K)

I respect Orthos.
I do not respect ortho larpers - especially the "holocaust card" of 4th crusade, "Ustase" or "muh holy Russia never mind the communism". I am sorry but your joining the church because of "optics" is just as retarded as your revisionist history full of lies to suit "your" church.

That being said….honest Orthos are fine and I know good Orthos IRL. Most internet Orthos I met however fall into the first category of larpers/

I’ve found tradcats sometimes bring up the massacre of Latins in Constantinople by peasants as a kind of atrocity propaganda but they neglect to mention the crusaders sacked other Orthodox Christian cities that had nothing to do with that massacre. Mistakes were made on both sides and it isn’t either of our faiths faults today.

I don't, but if every Orthodox willing to open the mouth bemoans Augustinian doctrine every time; bewailing the Latins for "intellectualizing" Christianity, it is difficult for one to not come away with the impression that the wider Orthodox Church disdains the good Saint completely. The reason of God prevails, however.

Thank you.

Thank you too.

True. I have never met a cat that would bring it up, except after "sacking constantinople" argument. But surely the mistakes were on both sides.

I’ve never heard this said about St. Augustine, but many Orthodox believe the Roman church moved away from the mystical aspect of the faith and towards movements like scholasticism and rationalism. It’s sort of a generalisation but if you look at the Eastern icons versus the Western icons a difference certainly emerges. The West gets into naturalism but the East focuses more on mystic depictions, not totally lifelike.

Idk maybe it’s just I’ve just been staring at Icons for hours.

I think that's more true of Protestantism.. and Catholics get unfairly bundled in it, because it's all the "West" to some.

What's worse is Protestants truly ran with the rationalist approach where within a few centuries, they produced myriads of pozzed scholars who doubted the scriptures.. and gave us the craptastic modern age we're enduring now.

That doesn't really make sense unless you're already presupposing a given church is the true church. For example, an orthodox could argue that it is attacked by the devil, namely the catholic church, and a catholic could claim that protestantism is satan, or that sedes are satan, and even a prostestant could argue that other protestant movements are satan.

It's definitely more true of Protestantism than RC. Some crazy sects even deny that there are any mysteries.

He does. But our Church is more resilient. Gates of Hell will not prevail…etc.

Attached: Ortho priest snowman.jpg (960x640, 82.78K)

Frankly, if God is too much of a coward to step up and take responsibility for his actions and his followers are more than happy to enable his reckless behaviour under the common argument "muh free will exonerates God", why should I, or anyone, even bother following the impotent retard?

I see now why the kikes laugh at Christianity. It's a joke religion predicated entirely behind 'Heaven on a Stick,' don't mess up or you're going to suffer for eternity! This farce is unnecessary.

I spit on god.

Really just think about it. If your son murdered his brother then of course he should be punished. But wouldn't you contemplate your failures as a father?

God isn't infallible, so why would I follow him?

You might spit on god but NEVER on God.
And what exactly do you consider God's failures?
And for which of HIS actions specifically should he take responsibility for?
God is not just a father.

It is just a Charlie post.