Vocations

Sup Zig Forums.

I am a Catholic and a senior in high school at the moment, and have been trying to figure out what on earth to do with my life beyond graduation. Since I was quite young my family has pushed the usual "major in engineering at the best university possible, make 100k plus a year and have two kids" stuff on me, as expected. In a quite unasked for series of events, I have found myself very apathetic towards the idea. I do not really WANT to live my life amassing money and being depressed in a country club like my father did. I have examined other routes to take, but have found similar problems with them.

I have had this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should look into a life with the Church. I do not know if I am being called to the priesthood or something of the sort, and no part of me has ever particularly been drawn towards a life based solely on religion until this year. Yet I still have that draw dragging me towards a life involved with religion over a more typical life.

I do feel reluctance towards further examining and committing to life in some vocation stemming from one source. I AM AN ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING. I go to confession weekly, sometimes more if I can. I have been futilely struggling with the same few sins for years on end and I am not in the slightest bit worthy to even begin thinking of leading a religiously bound life.

SO, in summary, "What do?"

Attached: b77fe464cfc445da9003a5383a3e1acf.jpg (616x357, 3.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsspolgs.org/en/vocations/discernment/
youtu.be/a6Huy7Fonv4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Going to confession a lot is a good sign not a bad sign, fyi

GOING to confession is a good sign but NEEDING to go to confession is a bad sign. It means I am in a constant state of sin and if I died rn Id go to Heck. So the way I see it, bad sign.

Than pray the rosary every day. It makes you a better person. It keeps you close to Jesus and teaches you virtues. It helps keep you out of confession, but even than the fact you are going to confession is better than thinking you are above it.
It is healthy and normal to go to confession once a week tbh.

I think that you should try to find a job doing something you enjoy, and use that job to help people. You shouldn't become an engineer just because your parents want you to, but if you do become an engineer there's nothing forcing you to spend your life amassing money and living the nuclear family life.

read books by saints about vocations, pray the rosary daily, do the devotion of the 3 Hail Marys, talk to vocations directors, and don’t rely on anonymous internet users for your spirituality.
link related: fsspolgs.org/en/vocations/discernment/

Hopefully some sophomore here can help you out:
If you feel like God is calling you to do something in the church, then simply do it. Chances are your parents will love and respect you no matter what you do in life. However, if you’re trying to become a priest or something similar to that, make 100% sure the calling is from God and not your own desires. Also, if you for whatever reason can’t immediately start out working for the church, don’t be discouraged; remember, God’s plans don’t always immediately begin when you expect them to, so maybe go to a college part time or find work. Don’t worry too much about your future; many older than you don’t even know what they want to do, and the vast majority of them turn out fine. Nevertheless, I’ll be sure to pray for you user, and Godspeed.

I agree OP, remove yourself from the gene pool needlessly, wear a dress, and live with other men who also wear dresses. That will be a fullfilling life for you.

Dude, unless you are some sort of ultra mega super saint, this is the normal state of the average Christian, period, even if they are not lukewarm. Even priests have other priests that they go and confess to.

You are saved by grace; not filthy rags. Do good for goodness sake not because you fear God and want to buy a way into heaven. To stop sinning try forming habits, alternative activities (inactivity can lead quickly to sin), and pray about it. I find myself in a similar position to you in that I'm naturally suited to be an engineer, but I am currently taking it. This field is not for people that are looking for only money, but who want an intellectually stimulating job and to be productive. So if you pass it off as materialism don't use anything that an engineer makes then.

I can relate; I'm studying computer science right now because everyone in my family wants me to, and I'm uninterested in it and doing the bare minimum to get by, learning very little in the process. Meanwhile, I spend most of my free time reading the Bible and Christian books, studying the history of Christianity, researching and discussing various Christian topics with other Christians, etc.. Assuming college works out and I can find a job (highly doubtful), I'd be stuck working 9a-5p in an office with soy boys and foreigners from India and Thailand for the next 30+ years, which would be miserable. I'm thinking of majoring in Theology instead, however I wouldn't want to become a priest, as I strongly desire a wife and kids. What Catholic job opportunities would that leave me with? The position of Deacon and teaching Theology are the only ones I'm aware of, which would be all right (other than the fact I'd have to attend many years of schooling until I'm in my 30s, but at least it's a field I enjoy studying).

School usually kills interest in a topic. Do interesting CS projects on the side to see if you like it, or drop out. It will be very difficult to find a job or stay there very long if you don't. It's funny how much Catholics here hate Martin Luther but have so much in common with his early life. The truth will set you free. A song about it: youtu.be/a6Huy7Fonv4
God bless.

Be a STEM major and make six figures.

I'm a former Protestant in the process of joining the RCC, so I'm not sure that's accurate. Any objections I had to the Church in the past have since been dispelled.

I wanna learn how build timber frame houses and go around building houses for young Catholic couples who want to have lots of kids. Right now I'm working towards my electricians license. I think if I got the know how to do it I could eventually buy like 100 acres of woods and make a semi offgrid Catholic gated community. I'm talking mill my own lumber and grow most of my own food.

I fantasize a lot about becoming the pope and going medieval on everyone, too. But we all do that right? I think I want a wife and kids too much to try it.

I know that feel

Don't let your memes be dreams, user. I believe in you. When you do become pope, make sure to save some time so you can funpost with us.

Attached: i-berieve-i-can-touch-the-sky_fb_1588627.jpg (300x300, 50.35K)

What convinced you to?

It is I, the OP.

God bless you all for your responses! I will take them to heart as much as possible.

I mean… I don't believe any Catholics downright hate Luther and everything about him. We believe he was misguided and went off track at one point but we aren't just going to go out of our way to separate ourselves from every aspect of a man.

Who hurt you?

I'm afraid you have to wait one more year before you can legally post here, newfriend.

Seniors can certainly be 18.

I mean. Personally I aint… but on a site with whole boards dedicated to lolis and zoophilia, I really think me being a couple months too young is the least egregious of the offenses around here. Cut me some slack, I am sure there are plenty of people as young as 12 lurking around here not stating their ages.

Same boat here. I'm the same guy who is making the christian manga i posted some time ago ( btw basically finished page 4) and i'm debating wheter i should pursue an art/illustration career. It's hard to me to decide because although i love drawing, i've heard that this career takes a lot of luck.

I apologize if this is off-topic (polite sage for that reason), and I know I somewhat said this before, but I feel compelled to say this in stronger terms:

I view the mentality of "The less you go to confession, the higher score you get!" as insanely spiritually dangerous. Better to go to confession often and make sure you have confessed all of your sins as often as possible and have your conscience as clean as possible, than to shoot for a goal of going to confession as little as possible out of a sense of pride or delusion in one's spiritual progress.

Thats why I said he ought to go to confession once a week.