GNU Social

Does anybody here use it? How hard is it to interact with other federated servers? Do you have a recommendation for which server to use? I've seen several imageboard-aligned servers, but given the tendency for cancer, I'd like to know if there's a better, more Zig Forums option.

Also decentralisation thread

Attached: VIRALPLANS.png (400x260, 10.99K)

>>>/g/

GNU social is currently in development limbo, with the main dev being a dumpster-diving commie, and two random guys developing support for ActivityPub and merging fixes in the nightly branch.

Pleroma is a modern replacement for GNU social written in Elixir, but it's still heavily WIP. Also, the main dev is a crossdressing midget from Berlin.

No, he actually prefers preaching communism, collecting electronics from the trash heap, and toying around the local hackerspace to developing his software. His last commit to the repo was 7 months ago.

I'm not worried about interface design compared to things like Twitter, we don't need things to be that similar.
I'm more worried about the growing concern of authorities trying to police decentralized servers and data. How would you enforce a "right to be forgotten" law like that?

I do like GNU Social more than Diaspora, since it needs proprietary JS last I checked.

I've been using pleroma, as I understand gnu social is more of a facebook replacement rather than a twitter replacement, right?, how is the imageboard shitposting community there?

I tried using gnusocial.no about maybe 2 years ago when it was a new thing. The entire instance slowing became something entirely about antifa. My main problem is that it shares the same flaws as regular social media; while I don't mind the act of socializing I'm strongly opposed to building a persistent profile and having to manually delete old content to reduce an internet footprint.

Just use Pleroma fam

This is a point I've seen thrown around: if anybody starts an instance with whatever software in these protocols that flushes posts and maybe mixes up things further for a more anonymous approach, I would at least use it to chat around since such a concept isn't really a big hit with social media so it would see minor usage.

No. Other way around.

Matrix > GNUSocial

Assume everything on public networks is archived by gazillion of search engine spiders. There is no reason in keeping identity at all, and here we come to a shitty image board replacement with character limit and retarded discussion threading.

What's wrong with dumpster-diving hackers? At least it's not some "HYPE HYPE ANONYMITY PRIVACY FUCKING TRUST US" garbage run obviously by agents

What GNU project that isn't directly related to gcc or emacs isn't.

Can a right-wing site exist on Mastodon or have they ensured they can suppress all speech that isn't focused on burning down society?

Btw, "right-wing" at this point in the decline basically just means uncensored or lightly moderated. Free speech is now a concept so far to the right it's practically Hitler.

tech illiterates on tech are right wing.

What a surprise.

Of course you can, it's just a software.

Hey clueless reddit spacer, the issue is the federated moderation, what controls they have, if hashtag searches can be censored, and how safe servers are from attack. When I hear things like,
and realize by "misuse" they don't mean the censoring of non-left wing views but that non-left wing views weren't sufficiently censored I get worried about how they've engineered that.
Sooo.. yeah.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-07-05-01h09m25s103.png (1920x1080, 389.49K)

I use GNU Sokyo and have never faced backlash for lewd loli posting

That's the nature of social networks. Always assume that anything you put into the public will be archived forever. Even this post could turn up in some archive a century from now.

If you want to have a profile, then make it pseudonymous, and if your persona gets compromised throw it away and start all over under a new name. Never use the internet for personal communication, ever. Just use that pseudonym for shitposting and stuff.

If people really want to talk to the real you, they will find a way. Sure, you won't be notfied whenever someone takes a photo of their vegan soy sandwich, but do you really need that information?

Too many people don't seem to understand that the internet is not a private space. You can make an off-color joke among friends, call your black friend a nigger, and everyone will know it's a joke. But on the internet if someone wants, they will dig out the same joke and use it against you.

I'm gonna drop a bomb which is gonna make a lot of people I know upset.
GNU Social and all its derivatives are doomed to be dead end software.
GNU Social died a long time ago, and many times prior.
It swung left and right as its communities grew and died.
Its biggest selling point is the fact that it isn't Twitter.
GNU Social was never meant to replace anything other than proprietary networks in general.
Due to the overwhelming differences between it and Twitter, every time Twitter pozzed itself a little more, it'd have an influx of new users, who would then return to Twitter, and GNU Social would have a new death.
Eventually this cycle was broken by Mastodon. Mastodon, in the end, was worse than Twitter by far, but it exposed the nature of GS.
It simply overtook GS' cycles and has started cycling itself in the same way, expanding and contracting, rotting a little more every time.
Pleroma likely won't see popularity beyond the autists who linger in the Fediverse simply due to its non-left-wing nature preventing it from falling into the same cycle more or less.

In the end, don't bother with GS, Mastodon, or Pleroma. Use IRC or something that isn't prone to the deadly cycle.

Fediverse is a good place for comfy shitposting. Shitposter.club has a gud admin. Highly recommended for roleplay art projects. but all of you are the wrong type of autistic and don't understand the draw

Rustadon is funny. And SBCL social is gonna be never.
Memes are nice, but RSS never left.
I just wish people used NNTP as they should.