Acts 2:47

Acts 2:47

Attached: CrucifixionVanDyckLouvre.jpg (300x353, 27.33K)

I don't really understand the question. Could you explain how the continuity of being saved relates to the notion we are being saved through faith? Can not faith be continuous as well? Do these conflict?

If you drink of the water Jesus gives, you never thirst again. "Adding to fellowship" means joining their church. Everyone who was saved was next added to their fellowship.

Do catholics assume that people become saved out of the blue without knowing about Christianity? lol
"the people" need to know and repent to a savior in order to be saved.

That's more of an argument against OSAS. This doesn't relate to faith alone.

What does the Greek say?

Except the verse states "those who were being saved", not "those who are saved".

I'd like to know as well.

no thanks
And they say we're legalistic.

But they are already believers, yet they are still being "saved"

"Those who were being saved" at that event.
Read verse 41, it's the same thing

Acts 2:41 NASB — So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

Those 3000 where added to the Church.
Those 3000 are the ones who form the community of believers.
If you read in context, 2:47 says that more people are joining their community in their nature, being saved isn't becoming a believer, being saved is 2:42

Pretty good exegesis

In the same way as the 3000, there were more who were saved and added to their church.
Upon being saved, they were added.

2:42 is what they were doing as a church, after salvation.

Attached: Screenshot_20190110-145435_Brave.jpg (810x3367, 1.14M)

I'm meaning to show that this is incorrect:

The ones added are distinct from the previous body. The implication here is that being saved is a condition for membership.
This point is obscured in the NLT and you really shouldn't be using it for close study like this. It's a nom-literal translation that was marketed to get children to read the Bible.

Attached: Screenshot_20190110-150130_Brave.jpg (1565x2729, 615.33K)

No. It says those who were added were being saved.

It does not say upon being saved they where added.

Neither of the images in your post contradict what I say

Again I say you have it backwards.
The NLT and some other "dynamic equivalence" translations mix the verb tenses, maybe for easier readability
"Were being saved" is past continuous, but "added" is past simple

It would be better rendered in just one or the other to avoid the error you're making
"Was adding" "were being"

"Added" "such as should be saved"

Do you agree that these "formal equivalence" translations don't make the same implication you're finding?

No. I really can't I'm sorry. I'm not being belligerent nor purposely ignorant. But what I'm saying still holds

Ok, well that's the dominant Protestant view to answer the question of the OP. This passage does not present a contradiction to sola fide as interpreted from the relevant passages elsewhere.

Thank you for their perspective. I know this isn't a clear passage for assertions into either direction, but it does seem like a hinge that changes depending on ones docterinization.

I don't think so, I think it pretty clearly goes my way by the hermeneutics. Is there a Catholic source you've read that teaches what you've presented?

I'll continue to read commentaries. But here you go.

www.studylight.org/commentary/acts/2-47.html

I meant what you presented on acts 2:47 teaching that salvation is "continuous"?

Shoot I gave you the wrong quote Im sorry

Such as should be saved - This whole phrase is a translation of a participle - τους σωζομενους tous sozomenousIt does not express any purpose that they should be saved, but simply the fact that they were those who would be, or who were about to be saved. It is clear, however, from this expression, that those who became members of the church were those who continued to adorn their profession, or who gave proof that they were sincere Christians. It is implied here, also, that those who are to be saved will join themselves to the church of God. This is everywhere required; and it constitutes one evidence of piety when they are willing to face the world, and give themselves at once to the service of the Lord Jesus. Two remarks may be made on the last verse of this chapter; one is, that the effect of a consistent Christian life will be to command the respect of the world; and the other is, that the effect will be continually to increase the number of those who shall be saved. In this case they were daily added to it; the church was constantly increasing; and the same result may be expected in all cases where there is similar zeal, self-denial, consistency, and prayer.

We have now contemplated the foundation of the Christian church and the first glorious revival of religion. This chapter deserves to be profoundly studied by all ministers of the gospel, as well as by all who pray for the prosperity of the kingdom of God. It should excite our fervent gratitude that God has left this record of the first great work of grace, and our earnest prayers that He would multiply and extend such scenes until the earth shall be filled with His glory.

Here

The Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.—Many of the better MSS. omit the words “to the Church,” and connect “together,” which in the Greek is the first word in Acts 3:1, with this verse—The Lord added together . . . The verb “added” is in the tense which, like the adverb “daily,” implies a continually recurring act. “The Lord” is probably used here, as in Acts 2:39, in its generic Old Testament sense, rather than as definitely applied to Christ. For “such as should be saved”—a meaning which the present participle passive cannot possibly have—read, those that were in the way of salvation; literally, those that were being saved, as in 1 Corinthians 1:18; 2 Corinthians 2:15. The verse takes its place among the few passages in which the translators have, perhaps, been influenced by a Calvinistic bias; Hebrews 10:38, “if any man draw back,” instead of “if he draw back,” being another. It should, however, be stated in fairness that all the versions from Tyndale onward, including the Rhemish, give the same rendering. Wiclif alone gives nearly the true meaning, “them that were made safe

Where does this teach what you said?

Or this?

Another one.

Are you reading these with implications of what I said? They fully reinforce my interpretation

They don't at all, except for this last one, and it's just a set of assertions

I gave you the website that provides a plethora of commentary, it is up to you to read them.

Here is another

Dean Alford’s version of the words is, “The Lord added to their number day by day them that were in the way of salvation.” Dr. Samuel Davidson’s version we think better: “The Lord was adding to the Church daily those who were being saved.” The authors of the New Testament Revised Version have adopted Dr. Samuel Davidson’s translation, and read, “the Lord added to them day by day those that were being saved.” Not those that had been saved, or those who would be saved, but those who were being saved. The words in their connection teach two great facts in relation to man’s salvation.

I. It is gradual in its process. The popular impression is that this great event is instantaneous. But the nature of the work and the testimony of the Scriptures give no sanction to such an impression. Consider–

1. The nature of the work. Salvation may be said to involve a twofold change.

2. The testimony of the Scriptures. “Now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.” “With the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” “Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” “Kept through faith unto salvation.” “Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.” “He that shall endure to the end shall be saved.” The various figures employed to represent the Christian life indicate the same graduality. It is a building, a planting, a race, a fight, etc.